• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Mignogna Deposition

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
Breaking News! People Working In The Same Niche Industry Have Some Overlap Of Social Circles!
KupoChris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
I know this meme is extremely overused, but it really is the only thing that comes to mind when i hear about another conspiracy theory his supporters cooked up.

Also, I'm glad Iijima declined to comment. There is enough evidence against him already. The last thing she needs to do is paint a target on her back for the worst people on the internet to take aim at.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hey so, as the author of the majority of our pieces on Mignogna I can clarify a few things.

1. Yeah, I did appear on some weird friggin' bulletin board-style image with strings trying to connect everyone "involved" in this.
2. The only connections I was shown to have is to Bamboo, a former employee, and to Anime News Network as a whole which should surprise exactly 0 people.
3. I don't know if Bamboo has ever worked on a piece with iO9 but if she has I have zero knowledge of it. I don't remember if there was a string connecting her to them or not.

Otherwise there are no connections between myself and any of the individuals in this case. We have never hung out socially and with the exception of one person, I don't think I've even met them formally in a professional or social setting. Ironically, the person in this lawsuit I've probably had the most professional contact with is Mignogna because I exchanged e-mails with him back in January for the purpose of the first article, but he claims not to know who I am.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
KupoChris wrote:
I know this meme is extremely overused, but it really is the only thing that comes to mind when i hear about another conspiracy theory his supporters cooked up.

I knew it was gonna be Charlie before I even clicked it.

If the twitter conspiracy proves anything, it's truly that "hero worship is unhealthy"
BreathoftheWater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
Jesus... How deep does this rabbit hole go?!
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, when you're a compulsive narcissist like Vic--especially one who routinely deletes all electronic correspondence (which isn't a red flag at all)--it can be hard to remember anyone who isn't himself or someone that is of use to him.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he got so many inquires, but I'm surprised that he doesn't know anything about ANN.

It could just be me, though.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I just want to thank Lynzee and everyone else who has worked on these articles for bringing all the evidence and information into one place; it's obviously a story that's long overdue, like too many of these situations in the media/entertainment industry, but sifting through all of the testimony and background (especially given the nature of these allegations) could be taxing on anyone so I hope y'all are taking care. Not to mention having to deal with all the conspiracy theories accusing you of having ulterior motives when it's clear these articles are presented in as objective a fashion as possible. This kind of reporting is important exactly because it allows the evidence to speak for itself: if it's triggering defensiveness from people who have a vested interest in denying the allegations, to me that's a sign they know the burden of rebuttal has shifted to them and they have nothing to show for their position.

Vic clearly had no business trying to sue his way out of this; here's hoping his own ego buries him for good.
Kaorichama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
When I though this couldn't go worse, this happens.
Holy fudge.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Vic's "case" is just looking worse and worse by the day, with his deposition being particularly bad for him.

I thought it was quite good, he appeared genuine unlike the other parties who couldn't even make eye contact or a consistent story.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Maybe he got so many inquires, but I'm surprised that he doesn't know anything about ANN.

It could just be me, though.

It's worth mentioning he's given interviews and appeared on the podcast. Were it not for the deposition lies involving his Discord/rumor panels, I'd be concerned for his memory.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
He probably saw the chart that was going around Twitter supposedly showing the web of connections between people in "Kick Vic". It was like one ANN writer once worked with the io9 writer who covered the story, thereby proving they're all in the same network.

Didn't they also attempt to discredit the io9 writer because she had connections to Marzgurl or w/e?
Teraman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Vic's "case" is just looking worse and worse by the day, with his deposition being particularly bad for him.

I thought it was quite good, he appeared genuine unlike the other parties who couldn't even make eye contact or a consistent story.

Yes he seemed quite genuine when he made statements like "I grabbed Jamie Marchi's hair" and "There are rumors about me going back decades that I can't tie to the defendants" under oath.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yes he seemed quite genuine when he made statements like "I grabbed Jamie Marchi's hair" and "There are rumors about me going back decades that I can't tie to the defendants" under oath.

I haven't seen the videos, but did he look genuine when he said he doesn't care if his fans got scammed by Nick?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Teraman wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I haven't seen the videos, but did he look genuine when he said he doesn't care if his fans got scammed by Nick?

I didn't watch the videos but I read that part of the deposition and it was so hilariously sad. Back when the three of them held their panel at Anime Matsuri they kept yelling and proclaiming they were doing all this not for their own gain but "for the fans", they repeated it over and over and over and chanted it with the audience. Flash forward like a month and Vic states under oath that he literally doesn't care if his fans get scammed so far as he's not made responsible for it. A gem indeed, their golden boy
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

How a person presents themselves says a lot more than a transcript ever could. Vic was acting friendly, charismatic, and positive. Ron was acting nervous and skittish. Monica was stoic and curt. Just look at the line when Lemoine asks Vic if he thinks kissing kids is weird. It comes off much differently in real life than in a transcript when you can add Vic's positive demeanor and how he said. If a guy hits on me and is acting super creepy about it, I can tell it's a no-way situation. Another guy could say the exact same thing, but in a normal or charming way. Social cues matter, fellas Laughing

Anthony P wrote:
Didn't they also attempt to discredit the io9 writer because she had connections to Marzgurl or w/e?

People just point out how Beth Elderkin, Jacob Chapman, and Marzgurl were all Channel Awesome alumni and have connections to one another. It's like pointing out how Anime News Network is sponsored by Funimation, or has hated Vic Mignogna for over a decade. All it does is show the website does not have the most unbiased position in this which is totally fine to do when the two main Vic articles people cite are written by two websites with those kinds of connections.

CrowLia wrote:
I didn't watch the videos but I read that part of the deposition and it was so hilariously sad. Back when the three of them held their panel at Anime Matsuri they kept yelling and proclaiming they were doing all this not for their own gain but "for the fans", they repeated it over and over and over and chanted it with the audience. Flash forward like a month and Vic states under oath that he literally doesn't care if his fans get scammed so far as he's not made responsible for it. A gem indeed, their golden boy

This is how you know someone is not genuine. If Vic admitted he was concerned of his fans being scammed, it can be used against him and the case. You people are so obsessed with the crowdfunding campaign, probably because you know there's no way the defendants could raise that much, you're now trying to make fun of him for not attaching himself to the crowdfunding campaign for ulterior means.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12