• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club Licenses 'Sexiled: My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up With a My

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see. I've multiple times seen the fan community (at least in the west) believe a male creator is female, and express disappointment when corrected. Perhaps it might be profitable to cultivate that.

In that case, this may fall exactly into "well-meaning-but-tryhard media often written by men." Could still be something I'd like. Razz
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
What goes well with a bad title of an LN? Well, an even more worse and laughable synopsis.

Leaving out the stupid portmanteau at the start, it's no worse a title than any other given light novel has - though admittedly that's not a terribly high bar to clear. As for the premise, it actually sounds pretty decent. The actual writing could turn out to stink of course, but the concept is promising.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
But attractive action girls have been a popular staple of male-targeted otaku media for decades - makes me think of AF again:

Quote:
And the male antagonists are the type to loudly shout “girls shouldn’t be allowed in this field!” so that the audience can pat themselves on the back and say “well, I’m not that bad.”

Stuff like this may not be all that progressive anymore, but I try not to be overly critical of such things because... well, as you said, even the half-baked semi-feminism with a side of fanservice in Between the Sky and Sea, which wasn't exactly a hugely popular anime, somehow enraged a lot of anime-conservatives. Probably because it has the bad guys shouting the same things they post on shady subreddits. Apparently quite a few people are that bad.

It's not likely to change anyone's mind because, as seen above, slapping people in the face with "you're a sexist!" just makes them go into aggressive-defensive mode. But we probably need to keep making totally unsubtle jabs at sexism until we get to the point where it doesn't summon a downvote brigade every single time. If nothing else, they make good decoys for stories that actually do have the potential to change people's way of thinking.

Last edited by kotomikun on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The title sucks, but it sounds like a fun, yuri adventure comedy. We don’t have enough fun yuri adventure comedies—there have been a lot of yuri manga/anime recently, but most have been dramatic romances (Sweet Blue Flowers., Bloom into You, etc)There is definitely a market for this!
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I’m guessing in the final chapter they beat the shit out of a Shield Hero caricature
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I’m guessing in the final chapter they beat the shit out of a Shield Hero caricature

I sure hope so.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I like the way the title Sexiled has gotten all up in everyone's grill. Woo! Books and anime with young girls throwing their curvy bits all over doesn't seem to bother anyone, but bring up sex unexpurgated and suddenly everyone is an expert on decorum. Remember when the Joker blew up the hospital? Blow up a few soldiers and civilians in a war zone and nobody blinks, but threaten to kill one little mayor and everyone goes CRAZY! Girls still aren't allowed to use sex as a weapon. Who are you all protecting from the word Sexiled? If it makes you nervous, maybe you should ask yourself why, really.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I love the plot of this.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
This could definitely be a fun story. Sometimes being this open and combative can create some really fun media. It’s not often, as some authors get lost in their message and lose sight of what makes storytelling fun, but this seems like a series that has its tongue firmly in cheek in a way that mixes what could be an interesting statement with a wild adventure.

Will definitely keep an eye out to see if it’s worth adding to my light novel collection!
Uno Gumpa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's time to kick ass, kiss girls, and dismantle the patriarchy!

I'm already on board! Give me more of that progressive storytelling, please!!
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
I like the way the title Sexiled has gotten all up in everyone's grill. Woo! Books and anime with young girls throwing their curvy bits all over doesn't seem to bother anyone, but bring up sex unexpurgated and suddenly everyone is an expert on decorum. Remember when the Joker blew up the hospital? Blow up a few soldiers and civilians in a war zone and nobody blinks, but threaten to kill one little mayor and everyone goes CRAZY! Girls still aren't allowed to use sex as a weapon. Who are you all protecting from the word Sexiled? If it makes you nervous, maybe you should ask yourself why, really.

Mate, I think you're misunderstanding why people - some of us, at least - have a problem with the word 'sexiled' in the title. It's not because it says "sex", it's because it's a made-up word whose meaning is not immediately apparent and sounds kinda stupid. Drop it and stick with "My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up With a Mythical Sorceress!", no problem. There's even "JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World" published in English already, which hasn't bothered anyone.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
This series will rustle some jimmies...it seems it already has.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I sure hope so.

I would pay good money to see this. Especially if they beat the snot out of Kirito too. Razz
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I have read all of the Shield Hero light novels that have been released in English and that doesn't make a bit of sense. Naofumi goes to great lengths to help those who have been betrayed which is seen spoiler[early on with Rishia and later with Kizuna the Hunting Hero. It is a pity that the anime didn't get to the 8th light novel since Kizuna is a great character and her sense of sarcasm reminded me of an otome protagonist].

ChrissyC wrote:
This series will rustle some jimmies...it seems it already has.

The people that want lectures against masculinity will talk about it because of that description (but will probably be disappointed when the story has good male characters), a lot of guys will talk about it since they will read the speculation about whether it will be anti-male, and curious people will buy the light novel to find out what the story is really about. I think it is a smart marketing strategy and was a good way to get some free publicity.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I have read all of the Shield Hero light novels that have been released in English and that doesn't make a bit of sense. Naofumi goes to great lengths to help those who have been betrayed which is seen spoiler[early on with Rishia and later with Kizuna the Hunting Hero. It is a pity that the anime didn't get to the 8th light novel since Kizuna is a great character and her sense of sarcasm reminded me of an otome protagonist].

Probably they, like me, are basing their view of Shield Hero - character and series - on the first episode of the anime, which was all I could stomach. Which is to say, it came off as the kind of story a bitter misogynistic incel would write to show how innocent men's entire lives are ruined by false rape accusations that evil women do just because. Nothing I've heard about the series since has convincingly suggested otherwise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've got better things to spend my time on than watching/reading Shield Hero on the mere chance I am. Feel free to spoiler tag a brief rundown of why I'm wrong if so.
Chrono1000 wrote:
The people that want lectures against masculinity will talk about it because of that description (but will probably be disappointed when the story has good male characters)

No-one really wants or makes lectures against masculinity. Lectures against toxic masculinity, yes, but that's a different matter. And while good male characters and masculinity will have a lot of Venn diagram overlap, they're not synonymous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3