• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Police Release Names of 10 Victims Who Died in Kyoto Animation Fire

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:28 am Reply with quote
Please keep this thread respectful and limit the discussion to grieving and celebrating the lives of the victims.
DigiPhantom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:53 am Reply with quote
Many older seasoned talent who were supporting the younger generation, along with many new adults starting their long careers in animation. This is truly, deeply sad.

Obviously, having a large number of deceased to put to the tragedy was sad, but seeing names and actions we can put to those bodies is a continuing level of gut-wrenching. I can only imagine the loss the families feel.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
Wow a major list of seasoned talent and young talent. The one that hurts the most is Yasuhiro Takemoto. He was the director for so many amazing works. A legend gone too soon. I surely hope the deceased do get the memorial they deserve.

R.I.P. to all of them.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know Yasuhiro Takemoto died, it's so sad, he was so good as an anime director for Lucky Star!. Anime cry
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
May they rest in peace knowing that thousands, if not millions of people around the world loved their work. And may the perp face justice.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
This is going to be heart-breaking for those who only found out just now that at least two animation directors who were involved in some of Kyoto Animation's works were both confirmed dead.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
Well, now it's even more heart-breaking - we kind of knew about the death of Takemoto and Nishiya, who were the prominent talents of KyoAni for many works, but also the loss of Yoshiji Kigami, one of the legendary animators who was basically one the columns of studio animation style as it is now... I simply have no words.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:08 am Reply with quote
Minor typo - Nichijou (TV anime) was made a link the second time it appeared in the article, not the first.

One loss of a person is one loss too many Sad
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:32 am Reply with quote
It's always heartbreaking hearing news from the fire. The deceased will be fondly remembered by many, and I hope they're at peace.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
What a terrible loss of life. And to think this is only 10 named victims and just the tip of the iceberg. Rest in peace.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:56 am Reply with quote
Heart-breaking to see this in so many ways. Massively heart-breaking seeing "Graduated in March". So much of their "future" stolen. Half of these were leaked out a week ago or were made obvious by family saying they were missing, so I thought it would hurt less when it was officially announced. It does not hurt less even when you already know. So many people that changed lives in positive ways...

Kigami specifically was basically a mentor to everyone at the studio as well as their most experienced veteran. He pretty much shaped the studio to be what it is. Kyoto Animation can never really be the same with a lot of these specific people gone. I'm sure the Kyoto Animation of the future will be great but they've lost so many people that made up their identity. Their influence will likely continue on forever, though. Their mark on that industry will never fade.

Every one of them was just trying to make beautiful works of art for us to enjoy. I wish I could thank them for everything that they have done. I hope they knew how much the world loved them. I hope they can all rest in peace
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
weeping so much, the folks instrumental in Free! franchise, no words just shock and sadness and despair.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
It hits a lot harder having names and works listed out like this than it does when we were in the dark about who was lost...Especially when so many were involved with works that are still supposedly going to air/come to theaters on time. They'll continue to live on through everyone who enjoys their work for many many years to come.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
It hits a lot harder having names and works listed out like this than it does when we were in the dark about who was lost...Especially when so many were involved with works that are still supposedly going to air/come to theaters on time. They'll continue to live on through everyone who enjoys their work for many many years to come.

I totally agree, though at least it can bring closure to some who (for lack of a better description) wanted to learn the names of the victims.
rob_krol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
RIP for all of them, thats is just first ten name and is hard hit in the heart of fans Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3