• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Mignogna Deposition

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
As somebody who used to be very involved in running an anime con, I knew both Brett and Mari and I know for a fact, on my own personal observations as well as reports and warnings we received, that Mari has had multiple people who could be considered stalkers or "fans with the wrong ideas" or fans who felt entitled to special attention because they did things like show up at every single con and concert appearance for years. Some of these guys would appoint themselves some sort of personal rep and demand to be involved in events. And they never took NO for an answer.

Mari has had FAR too many of these idiots shadowing her and getting angry when she doesn't do what they want. It came up recently on Mari's FB fan page.

I don't know anything about Vic and Mari but geesus he would be far from the only one to hassle Iijima.

As for Brett, I knew him way back before he was a voice actor and I know him well enough to absolutely believe what he said happened happened, and I am not all surprised to hear he'd put himself in as a blocker to do what is right. He's that kind of guy.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Just read the Tekkoshocon article. The bit about Vic and the three girls together in his hotel room was particularly disturbing; I don’t care if he really didn’t do anything inappropriate, that is a situation no grown man should EVER find himself in.

What I think is the most disturbing part of it is that he still doesn't seem to see a problem with it. I work in a position involving interactions with teens, and there are basic rules that shouldn't even need to be drilled into your head because they're so common-sense. NEVER give them your personal phone number. NEVER friend them on social media. And NEVER EVER be alone with them in a closed room. It's for your protection as much as theirs. And this disgusting jackass thinks he was in the right. Unbelievable.

It also staggers me that Vic claims he can't remember why he left his teaching position. If I was let go due to inappropriate behavior, I'm pretty goddamn sure that'd stick with me.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

CrowLia wrote:
I didn't watch the videos but I read that part of the deposition and it was so hilariously sad. Back when the three of them held their panel at Anime Matsuri they kept yelling and proclaiming they were doing all this not for their own gain but "for the fans", they repeated it over and over and over and chanted it with the audience. Flash forward like a month and Vic states under oath that he literally doesn't care if his fans get scammed so far as he's not made responsible for it. A gem indeed, their golden boy

This is how you know someone is not genuine. If Vic admitted he was concerned of his fans being scammed, it can be used against him and the case. You people are so obsessed with the crowdfunding campaign, probably because you know there's no way the defendants could raise that much, you're now trying to make fun of him for not attaching himself to the crowdfunding campaign for ulterior means.

That is some impressive projection you're doing there. A major issue I noticed from the deposition was that it felt as if Mignogna wasn't prepped properly and his ambiguous answers to what I believe are fairly important parts in terms of establishing that he and his counsel believe this is a legitimate case hurt his side.

In particular:
- the fact he his non-committal to whether or not he approves a fundraiser in his name (though he tweets support of it) or how its funds will be distributed.
- His statement that he's unsure how much he's suing for along with how he came to determine his earnings would be hurt (only distinctly stated it fluctuates year by year due to its contractual nature, which, to me, makes it even more important to make sure he knows what value he's suing for. Though I understand any follow up questions may hurt him more)
- His directness and admittance to certain questions that I believe most lawyers would prepare him to anticipate and have him attempt to deflect.

Mignogna's character aside, there's a lot of weirdness going on from Beard that I'm uncomfortable with. Mignogna is claiming to know too little for certain things but admitting too much to other aspects that I believe can be used against him that makes it seem he's out of the loop. For me this brings up two questions:
1. What the hell are his lawyer(s) doing? With the information Mignogna gave regarding how this case even started, it's sounding like they're ambulance chasers.
2. Why is Mignogna portraying himself as being so distanced from this case that he can't even answer basic facts of the case? Follow up questions have a potential to hurt him, sure, but his lack of knowledge about what is happening compounded with him trying to establish he's still in shock of it all doesn't seem to help. Suing someone is kind of a serious matter? One would assume that he has a general understanding of the seriousness of what he's doing, which loops back to the 1st question being "what is his legal counsel doing? Are they actually just jumping the gun to take advantage of the situation and get away with a quick buck while their client is still 'dazed'?"

But no, you right. Vic detractors are envious that if Monical Rial were to set up a GoFundMe, she wouldn't pull as much money in, because obviously the amount of money is the problem, not everything surrounding what led up to this point.

Last edited by Zerreth on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
People just point out how Beth Elderkin, Jacob Chapman, and Marzgurl were all Channel Awesome alumni and have connections to one another. It's like pointing out how Anime News Network is sponsored by Funimation, or has hated Vic Mignogna for over a decade. All it does is show the website does not have the most unbiased position in this which is totally fine to do when the two main Vic articles people cite are written by two websites with those kinds of connections.

The point here is that Vic supporters use those connections as excuses to dismiss the articles as fictional hit pieces, even though said connections do not, in any way, shape, or form, prove the allegations wrong. (Let alone consider how Vic himself provided statements to the article, which brought his infidelity to light) As for the bolded...I don't even know what you're trying to say with the former considering FUNi didn't lift a finger until January, but Chris already owned up to ANN's failure in reporting on Vic and instead granting him interviews/podcast appearances. (As I cited above -- given you deleted that, there's no way you missed it)

Quote:
This is how you know someone is not genuine.

Indeed -- pretending you care about your fans and then turning around and saying "not my problem" if they ended up scammed. But hey, at least he was "charismatic" about it, so I guess that means he has this case in the bag. It doesn't matter he repeatedly failed to establish damages by Rial and co., right?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

How a person presents themselves says a lot more than a transcript ever could. Vic was acting friendly, charismatic, and positive. Ron was acting nervous and skittish. Monica was stoic and curt. Just look at the line when Lemoine asks Vic if he thinks kissing kids is weird. It comes off much differently in real life than in a transcript when you can add Vic's positive demeanor and how he said. If a guy hits on me and is acting super creepy about it, I can tell it's a no-way situation. Another guy could say the exact same thing, but in a normal or charming way. Social cues matter, fellas Laughing

Social cues inflict bias where there should be none. If you ever watched a documentary where they interview violent prisoners, some of the, especially the serial killers almost always brighten up and look happy and calm when asked about their crimes. Heck, Ted Bundy was in a relationship for a long time while he was on the prowl for victims. No body picked up on those social cues for awhile.

Jessica Hart wrote:

People just point out how Beth Elderkin, Jacob Chapman, and Marzgurl were all Channel Awesome alumni and have connections to one another. It's like pointing out how Anime News Network is sponsored by Funimation, or has hated Vic Mignogna for over a decade. All it does is show the website does not have the most unbiased position in this which is totally fine to do when the two main Vic articles people cite are written by two websites with those kinds of connections.

You probably don't know this, but Marzgurl was deceived for years by a man she thought she knew, but turned out he was a violent rapist. I'm talking about the Justin Carmichael. Justin ended his own life sometime after people within Channel Awesome became aware of the allegations. Marzgurl didn't even know about it till much later after his suicide. So for her, things like Vic being a creep probably hit closer to her heart than you or I.

Jessica Hart wrote:

This is how you know someone is not genuine. If Vic admitted he was concerned of his fans being scammed, it can be used against him and the case. You people are so obsessed with the crowdfunding campaign, probably because you know there's no way the defendants could raise that much, you're now trying to make fun of him for not attaching himself to the crowdfunding campaign for ulterior means.

First off, recent twitter activity has been a flurry right now because its been alleged that Nick Riekita who set up the Go Fund Me account, was doing something shady at his former place of work, a bank. My guess, if any, is that the defendants in Vic's lawsuit have already reached out and contacted his former place of employment.

It's not a coincidence that Nick's involvement was brought up in the deposition, and Nick really should be concerned.

Second, the crowdfunding campaign if it actually is being used to sue Vic's enemies, would be proof that Vic filed a frivolous lawsuit because someone gave him money to do so. Had Vic said it would concern him if the GFM was a scam it would have at least offered some sincere testimony that his reputation was important to him.

But that's not what ended up happening in the deposition. He said he wasn't concerned, therefore claims of his reputation being damaged by rumors seem to be inconsistent with his lack of concern that his face and name would be used in a scam.

Last edited by ranran-001 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Set1229

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
All I will say is that as one who visits Tekko, most years, knowing that this happened at a con I went to is horrifying.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
First off, recent twitter activity has been a flurry right now because its been hinted at that Nick Riekita who set up the Go Fund Me account, was forced out of a banking job due to some possible shady activity. My guess, if any, is that the defendants in Vic's lawsuit have already reached out and contacted his former place of employment.

I hadn't heard about this -- where may I read about it?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
First off, recent twitter activity has been a flurry right now because its been hinted at that Nick Riekita who set up the Go Fund Me account, was forced out of a banking job due to some possible shady activity. My guess, if any, is that the defendants in Vic's lawsuit have already reached out and contacted his former place of employment.

I hadn't heard about this -- where may I read about it?

It was just a brief exchange

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1156949412083654656?s=20

At this point, its still just an allegation so it might not be true.

But, here is the thing, Lemoine asked Vic if it would concern Vic if the GFM was set up by a con artist. Lemoine isn't asking that question at random, there had to have been a good reason why he asked Vic specifically that.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Regardless, I still fail to see how the original post subscribes to this when it's pointing out damning testimony that the user pretends they're worthless

My comment was originally towards Nykona's post saying to just read one of the affidavits and see how "horrifying" it is, and then say you don't believe them after that. It's telling people to side with the affidavit not because of any empirical evidence within it but because it makes you feel horrified and sympathetic towards the alleged victim.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
But I just want to know if anyone is going to call Mari Ijima a liar too. If you don't know who she is, you better look her up now.

Mari Ijima herself has said nothing about this incident. People would be calling either the convention volunteer who says it happened a liar, or Vic's ex-fiance Michele Specht who said it didn't happen a liar. Otherwise, she declined to comment, much like Erica who disputed the Ahmed affidavit said she was contacted by ANN as well and she declined to talk to them. I don't know if they contacted Stan who disputed Monica's story, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they at least reached out to him and he also declined. It would be presumptuous to say her declining to comment like the other two is indication of anything, but it would be interesting if she declined because she's already been in contact with Vic's legal team like the other two were who advised them not to talk to ANN.

My original comment of seeing next week is outdated though, it seems. Ty Beard asked for an extension on the TCPA hearing and the Judge granted them another month so now we have to wait until September.

Removed name. Don't use it again. --Crisha
Illia Sadri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Victim shaming BS calling people liars and thinking they are cute using doxed names.

You have no right to use my full name. Get your KiwiFarms troll nonsense out of here. You have not earned the right to use my personal legal name and I hope the mods take this down.

Sprecht spoke not knowing about Mari at the time and took his word. That doesn't make her a liar nor does it make me one or any of my colleagues who was there. She is a victim of Vic's continued unfaithfulness to her and deserves far more respect than you are showing by insinuating she's standing up to someone who hurt her so. It's disrespectful to Brett Weaver who also saw signs of issues. It's immensely disrespectful to my colleagues, including Jim Gogal, who combed through physical notes and old phones to get as full a picture possible.

You're also being disrespectful to Mari Iijima in assuming silence means nothing happened.

You have no right to disrespect me as a person who worked in convention management for years, who was in a position to see far more than the random Vicstans who either jumped over from other female harassment movements like Comicsgate and Gamergate trying to make it out as though there is a grand conspiracy against someone who spent decades demolishing his own reputation one temper tantrum and grope after another.

You do not know me, the least of who I am and have no right to call me anything.

Last edited by Illia Sadri on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
I have redacted the name from the post. Do not use it again. Anyone who does so further is immediately getting moderated, and potentially perma-banned.

EDIT: Cleaning up this thread is a bit slow-going. I've been attending to the reports a bit at a time, and there are still some more for this thread reported today that are up (which I won't be able to attend to for now, bedtime).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
I thought it was quite good, he appeared genuine unlike the other parties who couldn't even make eye contact or a consistent story.

How a person presents themselves says a lot more than a transcript ever could. Vic was acting friendly, charismatic, and positive. Ron was acting nervous and skittish. Monica was stoic and curt. Just look at the line when Lemoine asks Vic if he thinks kissing kids is weird. It comes off much differently in real life than in a transcript when you can add Vic's positive demeanor and how he said. If a guy hits on me and is acting super creepy about it, I can tell it's a no-way situation. Another guy could say the exact same thing, but in a normal or charming way. Social cues matter, fellas Laughing

Anthony P wrote:
Didn't they also attempt to discredit the io9 writer because she had connections to Marzgurl or w/e?

I also didn't interview any of those people in either article or write their answers for them, so... /shrug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
How a person presents themselves says a lot more than a transcript ever could.

if you learned that much about a stranger just from watching video of him, it seems like all those other strangers who've known him for years would probably know even more about him. but you keep calling them liars.

i think your take on this might not be completely unbiased
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
How a person presents themselves says a lot more than a transcript ever could. Vic was acting friendly, charismatic, and positive.

Actually, it says much less. In fact, it says nothing.

Mignogna is very charismatic, he always has been. It's a significant part of why he was so popular.

The best con-artists in the world are also very charismatic. Always. Many abusers are also charismatic.

I'm not saying this to cast aspersions on Mignogna's character; only to point out that his charisma doesn't imply anything about his character. The judge is undoubtedly much more used to dealing with charlatans than you or I, he won't be moved one way or another by Mignogna's character.

-t
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
How a person presents themselves says a lot more than a transcript ever could. Vic was acting friendly, charismatic, and positive.

As a public service announcement: if you think that just because somebody is friendly and charismatic, they're being truthful and honest with you, you probably get taken advantage of a lot. Sociopaths and abusers are experts at doing that kind of thing, especially when crowds are watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12