• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Police Release Names of 10 Victims Who Died in Kyoto Animation Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
WashuTakahashi wrote:
It hits a lot harder having names and works listed out like this than it does when we were in the dark about who was lost...Especially when so many were involved with works that are still supposedly going to air/come to theaters on time. They'll continue to live on through everyone who enjoys their work for many many years to come.

I totally agree, though at least it can bring closure to some who (for lack of a better description) wanted to learn the names of the victims.

Definitely, I was one of those who wanted to know haha. I guess knowing doesn't really CHANGE much of anything, especially since I'm not very well versed in staff names in the first place (I didn't recognize any of these names without putting their works with them), but knowing somehow makes it a bit easier to process even if it cuts deeper
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
Sad
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
Thoughts and prayers to families and friends of all victims.
Sad to see Yasuhiro TAKEMOTO confirmed passing since there was speculation after he was missing. Had hope he wasn't one of the victims.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
Takemoto and Kigami's deaths sting real bad as they were among the pillars that made Kyoto Animation shine as a anime studio. The others are equally sad but to me, the most genuine gut-wrenching among all of them is:

Quote:
Yuka Kasama
Kasama was 22 years old. NHK reports that according to a woman in Kasama's neighborhood, Kasama loved to draw as a child, and from high school wanted to study art at university. Another woman in the neighborhood told NHK she heard from Kasama's mother that Kasama's dream was to enter the animation industry.

Miss Kasama was not only robbed of most of her life but of her dreams as well. That is just too cruelly, unfairly tragic. I really do hope they hang the bastard for it. Being mentally ill only goes so far, when you purposely destroy that many innocent lives.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
I am especially heartbroken over Yasuhiro Takemoto being one of the victims, the director of Lucky Star, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. His directorial style on those shows was very unique and made me appreciate them in terms of pace and aesthetics. I was very much looking forward to future shows by him, but sadly his life was cut short. RIP

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
It is so sad to see that so many young, talented people that were just starting to work in the industry died in the fire, the same is true for the veterans workers that still had stories to tell.
I just hope that Kyoani can recover from this tragedy, and I also wish the same for the victim's families.
Sad
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The one I find to be the most tragic is with Yoshiji Kigami, an animator for Studio Ghibli and, and Yasuhiro Takemoto, the director of Lucky Star, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid perished too? Words can't describe the sadness I feel for all of these talented people's lives who were taken. Crying or Very sad
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
To all of those lost I thank them from the bottom of my heart for he amazing works of art you made and would have made, and for all the wonder you brought to me, Rest In Peace.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The loss of Yasuhiro Takemoto is especially gutting to me, as I was a huge Haruhi Suzumiya mark back in the day (still enjoy it). I try to watch Disappearance every year around the holidays. If I get to it this year, it'll be much sadder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
may they find peace in the next world..
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Crying or Very sad

Having names and (in some cases) faces makes it more "real" and hit even harder. I'm still having a hard time to wrap my head around this senseless incident and can't even begin to imagine how the survivors and the families of the victims might feel...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
What hit me today was connecting a younger person with the older.

Yoshiji Kigami was a key animator on Akira and Grave of the Fireflies. Yasuhiro Takemoto was also credited with key animation in earlier works.

Ami Kuriki was a key animator on multiple recent works. Considering that this is Kyoani, she could have very well soon moved on to a director's seat. Now we'll never know what her unique vision would have produced. The industry needs talented female directors and we just lost someone who would have probably become one.

Damn it all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Reading the names and their background with Kyoani is a gut punch, but also makes me sadder beyond sad thinking about the loss of such talented people, (and that list is just a third.....).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think my heart could break again or that I could cry any more than I have, but seeing the works these people contributed to just gutted me.

As someone who is especially fascinated by the character design process, I could hardly read Futoshi Nishiya's name. To the young lives cut short, to the brilliant talent stolen from this world, I can offer only my deepest condolences, and pray that the victims find some measure of peace.

I am glad for the point others have made, that these folks' work will continue to live on and bring joy to others in the future.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I was watching an anisong ranking video the other day when I saw Nishiya's name in one of the credits sequence snippets featured. This was before his death was announced and was only rumored, but it still stung.

It's nice to be reminded that I'm capable of feeling emotion in times of tragedy, even if it's one more subdued than bawling my eyes out or wishing the worst on he who shall not be named.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3