• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Police Release Names of 10 Victims Who Died in Kyoto Animation Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
My heart goes to the families of these victims, named here, and those who remain unknown. My sorrow for the fact that both young and old careers have ended, my fear for the recovery of the survivors who must decide how to continue after such loss, and my anger that no reason--neither justification nor possible excuse--can be given for this tragedy affecting millions of animation fans around the world.

This sucks. F*ck me, f*ck depression, this sucks.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:02 pm Reply with quote
To see the names and their credits really puts the loss into perspective. These were all people whose work we watched and enjoyed. I'm very grateful for their services to the industry and sincerely hope they rest in peace knowing that they brought so much joy to people around the world.

I'm also reminded of how utterly senseless this act was.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
As someone who is especially fascinated by the character design process, I could hardly read Futoshi Nishiya's name. To the young lives cut short, to the brilliant talent stolen from this world, I can offer only my deepest condolences, and pray that the victims find some measure of peace.

It's too sad that such talented artists have passed away.

When I saw Futoshi Nishiya's name on "Free!" and I thought 'who is this guy?'. Normally character designs are usually pandered toward target audience and gender. For example, Cute/Pretty/Sexy female characters for male fans and Tall/Lanky/Handsome male character for female fans. However, I felt that Nishiya's "Free!" character designs please both type of fans.

If it wasn't for the incident, senior animator like Yoshiji Kigami would have retired in few years and younger talents like Nishiya would carry the job to show ropes to new animators.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
This is so sad seeing the names. It really emphasizes just how big a blow to the industry as a whole these losses are. My deepest condolences to all loved ones.
Chazer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Such a massive loss of talent. The only thing I can equate it to is when Manchester United lost most of its team to a plane crash in the 50s.

Obviously this has the added tragedy of not being accident but the deliberate action of a madman.

If you want to see an example of how brilliant Yasuhiro Takemoto was, watch Lucky Star in its entirety. The reason I say this is because the anime was somewhat floundering the first 4 episodes, and Takemoto was brought in to salvage the ship beginning with episode 5. Lucky Star was not one of my favorites, but if you want to see what a good director can do for a show, this is as good an example as you will find.

I hope their families find some peace after such a shock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3