• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Astra Lost in Space

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
I actually really dig that we got the beach episode pretty early on; that signals to me that the show is getting the light-hearted stuff out of the way sooner rather than later so they can focus on Serious Space Stuff. I was also surprised (though pleasantly so) by the B plot, and I am now deeply suspicious about the “it feels like my body is being torn apart” line at least two of the parents are parroting. Though if I had to guess, my money is on Aries being the “enemy”, just because of how unlikely she’d be. Anime hyper
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Nah, Aries is way too dumb (bless her) to be part of such an elobarate ploy (or she's got really good acting skills). I also agree with the reviewer that Ulgar is unlikely to be the traitor as well or else he should have been aware of who Luka's dad is right from the start.

Personally i think it's either Zack or Charce. They are both clever enough for it and we don't really know a lot about their backgrounds, yet. Except that Zack's dad is pretty hot. Wink

I also believe that Gina is onto something with that cloning stuff (do we have to put speculation in spoiler tags now? Did i miss anything?!).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
do we have to put speculation in spoiler tags now? Did i miss anything?!

Nah, but sometimes I do anyway, if I think I might really be right. Wink I figure as long as I let people know what kind of info is behind the tag, they can read it or not.

If it's a theory that's several paragraphs long (cause I can get wordy!), then I'll just warn of massive speculation ahead without tags.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Huh, I could've sworn I posted this in the other thread, but I guess not. Anyway, ever since the reveal of what Funi overheard, I've had Btooom! vibes, thinking all the kids were on the trip because their parents wanted them dead. Sure looks that way now, except for Aries, who was apparently a very recent transfer student

That was mi immediate thought seeing how little the parents seemed to care about their children being missing. It almost seemed a bit too obvious, so I hope there's something more to it.

About your cloning theory, is it possible that Funi is a clone of Quitterie? It would explain how they're so alike even though they're supposedly not related by blood
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
^ Sure, why not? She might be a second gen clone, being cared for by the other woman until she died, then added to the camping trip as a "mission" when they decided they needed to get rid of them all.

It also occurs to me that perhaps the assassin does not know themselves that that's their purpose. If memories can be transferred, perhaps they can also be self-suppressed. I.e., if one of the parents' memories of the plan were implanted, that might create a personality (which is largely a function of our memories anyway) that could hide when necessary. If that's the case, no one's behavior would likely give them away, but I think Aries is off the hook, being the new kid with a caring parent, and it points a finger back at Funi, whose puppet may be her trigger, as others have suspected.

Or something else altogether. Very Happy I have a couple of other, very different theories rolling around in my head right now, based on what else the DNA tests could be about and why this group was apparently resisting.

This still leaves the question of the teleporting sphere and the waiting space ship. That would not seem to be in the original plan, at least not the ship. And I'm still wondering why it appeared the second time when its only purpose seemed to be to prevent them from going down a particular path. So who sent it and why (and how did they know to do so?)? That planet's well behind them, so I hope we get an answer for that.

Told ya I could get windy...
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
If I were to place a penny as to whom is the son of a cow traitor my bet is on Charce I don't feel this guy at all. Evil or Very Mad
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It also occurs to me that perhaps the assassin does not know themselves that that's their purpose. If memories can be transferred, perhaps they can also be self-suppressed. I.e., if one of the parents' memories of the plan were implanted, that might create a personality (which is largely a function of our memories anyway) that could hide when necessary. If that's the case, no one's behavior would likely give them away

Yeah, this is what I suspect, too. The minute Zach mentioned the memory transfer thing, this is where my brain went. But clones, hadn’t thought about that. I like it. I’ll be keeping an eye on that theory.

And I, too, loved Aries’ line about going to bed. It really brought to mind the recurring bit with Ishigami in Kaguya-sama: Love is War.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:26 am Reply with quote
Ep 6

Actually, all these spoilers are pretty minor the way I've written them, I think. Just erring on the side of caution. They are just about what happens in this ep. They do imply that spoiler[nobody dies this ep].

So we have the world's weirdest spoiler[bonding moment], followed by a (minor) spoiler[crazy convenient disaster for some more bonding. ] With more proof that more of the parents are spoiler[meanies]. Zack and Kanata are pondering this.

I don't know about Luca's T shirt, but Ulgar's T practically screams spoiler[time for a character-type flip moment- I think.] spoiler[Luca] seems happy in spoiler[being himself], but is terrible about spoiler[teasing.]

Quitterie is the neighborhood old lady/gossip, looking for romances to screw with. I think she could be my favorite character so far.

Looks like next ep will be spoiler[Charce's] turn to have some backstory. From the look on his face that they fade out on, que up the spooky music.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's read the manga, I enjoy reading the comments here Anime smile
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Even though this was a bit too melodramatic for my taste, i gotta give the show credit for giving us Ulgar's and Luka's backstories, having Kanata overcome his trauma and (most likely) discovering the traitor in just a single episode!

I also like the way Luka is portrayed as pretty comfortable with being intersex (well, aside from being rejected by his family...).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This action scene can't help but feel perfunctory when compared to the first part's emotionally-driven theater
It's a pity that all of the faithful foreshadowing from the last episode wasn't fully elaborated on due to the well-warranted focus on character stuff.

The planet Paradise or whatever the scrambled name was has super-intense tectonic movements, causing frequent tsunamis. Since it's an ocean planet where most land gets drenched, the only fauna that prospers are birds that clone themselves, as normal reproductive measures aren't viable with the lack of land. As a result, there are no predators, and the birds were easy pickings for Ulgar. They're all used to the tsunamis, so they flew off last episode before the tsunami hit. That's also why the visible flora is stuff like giant coral reefs - it's amphibious.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
I just thought it was pretty funny that Luca exposes his chest and the planet itself reacts with seismic shock! I know they're on a timer, but just a wee bit more separation of the two events would've helped a lot. Laughing
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:34 am Reply with quote
@Gina seeing your comment made me realize how the choice of the name "Esposito" works on so many levels. First, esposito literally means "exposed" in either older or dialectal Italian (esposto in modern standard Italian), so there's that Very Happy Additionally, it could work as a reference to his father's and Ulgar's brother's storyline: the French cognate to espos(i)to would be exposé. And finally, the surname "Esposito" is believed to be derived from the practice of leaving ("exposing") unwanted newborns in public places to get them picked up for adoption. Not sure if any of this was intended by the author though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Charce is the first character to not have chased away my suspicions of after hearing the backstory of. Most of the time it felt like the character put fairly bare themselves, but he still feels like he is hiding something. Whether the cliché like nature could mean that his story is not entirely true, or he has something to gain from being the culprit. The mystery girl in the cryopod also has a resemblance to Charce, blonde hair and grey eyes. I suspect something not a coincidence with him.

As for the Aries, if she is Seira, a girl who ended up in a coma, it could go a way to explain general strangeness about her character, such as her photographic memory and confusion of things especially evident early on.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
So Charce is a transfer student from Attack on Titan (well, minus the titans...)?

Like others, i'm also fairly certain that he hasn't told the entire truth. But i neither believe that Aries is Seira nor that Charce does, otherwise he wouldn't have apologized to that picture(?) of her.

When they just happened to come across a ship right when they needed some spare parts, i Rolling Eyes a bit, but now i'm curious about what the mystery woman has to tell. Anyhow, the plot thickens! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7