• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Accelerator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
So far I am loving this. However I have been hoping for the anime for years. So now that it is finally here I am just loving it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
jeez the hatemail for index 3 is getting extremely stupid. its the reason why it took so damned long for a third season to be given the go ahead!

typical LN puruits!

But they actually did stick to the source material... it was just horribly put together.

Ep. 3 Review wrote:
One is that this is Accelerator's first chronological exposure to true magic, and he's just trying to interpret it in a way that makes sense to him, but the other is that Esther's “magic” is actually a psychic ability that she and those in her family lineage are just treating as magic. I am inclined to think that the former is the actual truth, but the latter being true would have some interesting implications for how magic works in this setting.

I don't know if Raildex has touched on gemstones inheriting their power from their families or not, but she can't be a natural esper (gemstone) because she mentioned teaching Hishigata. That magic is a system intended to allow people to obtain a power without needing to be born with it was mentioned really early on in the main series. I think perhaps it was either around when Touma needs to find Komoe to use magic to save Index or around when Sherry (golem girl who lost a friend that tried to combine magic and esp) showed up. Anyway, if a gemstone could just pass their power around, it wouldn't have gotten the label of a power that talented people are just born with.

She also would have to be a gemstone for her family line pass down that power because her parents couldn't possibly be espers created by Academy City since they're too old.
Stiles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Trust me, I think the fact is they tried to stay too close to the LNs resulting in rushed pacing, and poor character development. Combined with poor animation and effects along with Touma’s antiquated ideology and it’s a recipe for a bad show

Sorry, what? Index III suffered because it didn't have a high enough episode count and, as a consequence of that, wasn't faithful enough. "Too close to the LNs" Are you kidding me? It would've meant a hell of a lot to have the narrative fleshed out over a longer episode count to help the anime only viewer understand the expanding plot and ongoing relationships between new and veteran characters.

More on topic:

I guess the only thing I don't like about Accel so far is the character designs. We have a completely different designer from the rest of the franchise which I find baffling. Feels distracting and off putting, like it's To Aru on an even tighter budget. Every character who isn't a new addition just looks off model all the time.

I really don't see how this animation is any better than what we've had in Index. Character designs aside, it feels about the same to me. Confused
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Sorry, what? Index III suffered because it didn't have a high enough episode count and, as a consequence of that, wasn't faithful enough. "Too close to the LNs" Are you kidding me? It would've meant a hell of a lot to have the narrative fleshed out over a longer episode count to help the anime only viewer understand the expanding plot and ongoing relationships between new and veteran characters.

A faithful adaptation just means they didn't change things from the source material. Your real complaint seems to be that they rushed through everything at break neck speed which ruins the experience, but that isn't being unfaithful. That is just being done poorly.

Stiles wrote:
I guess the only thing I don't like about Accel so far is the character designs. We have a completely different designer from the rest of the franchise which I find baffling. Feels distracting and off putting, like it's To Aru on an even tighter budget. Every character who isn't a new addition just looks off model all the time.

I really don't see how this animation is any better than what we've had in Index. Character designs aside, it feels about the same to me. Confused

My only gripe about the designs is that they changed the eye color of the Misaka clones.

You say the character designer is different from the rest of the franchise, but the Raildex franchise has had multiple character designers even before the Accel spin off. They may use designs based off Haimura's original designs, but they each draw the characters a bit differently.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
The third episode of Accelerator has solidified it as an entry to the series worth watching.

It has strong character interactions between Last Order, Accelerator and Esther which are really fun to see and kind of endearing.

Action, how short it was, is better animated though the black on the wind effects is not great. I still think it's better than Index III's effect but it's a bit off. Regardless, i'm looking forward to a big blowout action scene to evaluate.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
a mecha capable of thwarting even Accelerator's attacks

Accelerator's long range attacks. Villain McEvil explains that the mecha is using a comparable-to-Level 5 psychokinesis power.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:
a mecha capable of thwarting even Accelerator's attacks

Accelerator's long range attacks. Villain McEvil explains that the mecha is using a comparable-to-Level 5 psychokinesis power.

Yeah, and honestly, most of his long range attacks seem pretty weak for level 5 / saint class or higher. The plasma ball would have had crazy power if he could have gotten it off, but apparently interfering with it during build up screws it. Then in Index season 2, there was the spoiler[planet busting attack on the windowless building], but I kind of feel like that has been retconned to the anime version since he has never repeated it. Or maybe it just gets hand waived as to how much power the attack would have similar to how they hand waive the damage an arcade coin moving at 3 times the speed of sound can cause (just that the railgun is overselling it versus Accel's attack underselling it). Not sure how the Index manga handled it.

*I don't think that is really a spoiler at this point given the age of Index season 2, but technically it happens after the Accel anime in the timeline.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
To comment on Accelerator's self perception as a villain, I feel it's somewhat justified from an emotional standpoint. Dude killed more than 9000 clones in a quest for power, that would tend to mess up someone's perception of morals. Combined with how Academy City seems to proliferate some tendencies at times and yeah, I can see the warped perspective being a thing.

That said, i totally understand how it can be irritating that he seems so single minded about it. I think the only reason i'm willing to tolerate it is because the VA seems to be hamming up Accelerator's scenes of this type to make them somewhat amusing
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:13 am Reply with quote
Welp, Ep 5 felt honestly like a transition episode, nothing spectacular but enough to keep the viewer base occupied before Accelerator enters the picture

As for the Scavangers, yeah, I read them in the Railgun manga, they're nothing special and frankly, the only interesting thing they have going for them is some of the power applications but i get that in the show regardless
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
I liked that scene where Last Order helped Accelerator recharge the battery thing. Seeing Accelerator so vulnerable in Last Order's presence and seeing Last Order take care of Accelerator for once was a genuinely nice moment.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I liked that scene where Last Order helped Accelerator recharge the battery thing. Seeing Accelerator so vulnerable in Last Order's presence and seeing Last Order take care of Accelerator for once was a genuinely nice moment.

I agree and I argue that his interactions with Last Order make him way more tolerable compared to how a character like Accelerator normally is.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

I agree and I argue that his interactions with Last Order make him way more tolerable compared to how a character like Accelerator normally is.

Absolutely agree! While I'm not usually a fan of mascot-like characters mostly there just to be cute, Last Order's presence absolutely makes Accelerator a better character and the series better by her presence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
This is much more enjoyable than the main series. Glad I checked it out after giving up on the latest main-arc entry.

While catching up on episodes of this, I do find myself wondering: why are the 'powered' people (whether Espers or magicians) invariably young people? Have we ever seen a powered adult, and if not, is there some within-universe reason for that?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
This is much more enjoyable than the main series. Glad I checked it out after giving up on the latest main-arc entry.

While catching up on episodes of this, I do find myself wondering: why are the 'powered' people (whether Espers or magicians) invariably young people? Have we ever seen a powered adult, and if not, is there some within-universe reason for that?

There’s plenty of adult characters on the magical side, particularly in the different churches involved, but yeah on the esper side, it is predominantly younger people. Even if city is a school town, that doesn’t explain why there aren’t more adult espers.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I see. Maybe I'm forgetting some of the adult powered characters from earlier in the series, or from the main series? With the long breaks between seasons -- and having to bail on the incoherent Index 3 -- it has been a long time since I've paid much attention to it.

Aside from Accelerator's obnoxious scream-o approach to dealing with his personal identity crisis*, this also reminds me of one of the things I've always found least compelling about this universe (whether in this show or its kindred), and episode 5 of this show highlights it nicely: in a world overly saturated with freaky powers, why in the hell would anyone volunteer to be a plain, no-powers police officer? I mean, good god -- in this episode, 4 powered kids just took out everyone in her squad except her, and dealt with the spider-bot her entire team couldn't put a dent in, yet the lady anti-skill lead is giving little speeches about how "an adult will handle this".

Uh, OK. You do that. I'm sure you holding a standard-issue "state-of-the-art" shield will be super helpful and not at all pointless and definitely not not-even-a-meaningful-delay-to-the-tiny-terrors when friction-girl rains paper plane bombs on your head.

*But the identity crisis itself is entirely reasonable; the kid has done some awful crap, and only found in himself something like a moral compass very recently. His struggle with this would even look like good writing, if he didn't deal with it in-universe by just comically screaming one-dimensionally about how evil he totally is all the time.

His doing this is grating in precisely the way that certain supporting cast in Kimetsu no Yaiba also are. I will never quite understand how a trope this awful has gained widespread popularity. I can't imagine a younger me ever finding it any less obnoxious...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5