• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:31 am Reply with quote
I know this is late but: Whats up with episode 5? The hologram spent 2 minutes (across a big intermediate scene) saying he has something to talk about / explain BUT all he has to say is have my power, dont use it for evil. Who writes this empty crap??
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
Ep 6 is simultaneously rushed and lacking in interesting things that happen. Its like a comedy isekai but lacks the spoof factor of Mao-sama (something better maybe magical circle guru guru) or the wit of something like konosuba. I wounder why I continue to watch the episodes as they come out even as each episode proves how shallow the show is. I really am Isekai trash I guess.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Finally a cute bunny girl with a rocking body. about time something interesting.

I hope she replaces that ugly little blond twerp they inserted into the story.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I know this is late but: Whats up with episode 5? The hologram spent 2 minutes (across a big intermediate scene) saying he has something to talk about / explain BUT all he has to say is have my power, dont use it for evil. Who writes this empty crap??

Speaking of being late to talk about episode 5... in short, he does explain a number of significant things in the LN, but apparently the main plot wasn't important enough to get that much screen time.

This isn't to say that the LNs are masterworks of literature. They're... decent, I guess? Not bad by isekai standards, and entertaining for those that enjoy isekai (like myself), but certainly nothing to write home about. Still... even mediocre things look good when compared to gutter trash.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, I don't ever think I've seen cg as bad as that 2-headed Rex! It was about on par with the "Money for Nothing" video. At first I thought it had arms instead of nipples on its chest. Then came the disconnected floating heads... South Park is better animated.

Why does this season keep plaguing me with screaming, whining characters with annoying voices? First it's Zenitsu in Demon Slayer, now Shea in this. I guess this is why God gave us the mute button.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a schadenfreude isekai. I can't stop watching because I'm amused by how bad it is. The cliche edge-lord, the shinobu wanna-be, and the annoying as hell bunny girl anime that skips the plot for the sake of nothing. A ball has more point and edge than this show.

This show is making me a nihilist.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode six was the most disheartening episode yet, quite effectively back stabbing the fan base. It will also fail in bringing in new fans to the light novel and manga.

This isn't a anime TV series, but rather a audio/visual wikipedia entry about the series.

Only reason I am watching it is to see my favorite characters animated, but I am dead inside.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
It's almost like the anime is attempting to sabotage the source material. It's almost antagonistic, IMO.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Episode six was the most disheartening episode yet, quite effectively back stabbing the fan base. It will also fail in bringing in new fans to the light novel and manga.

Can you elaborate on how this "back stabs" the fan base? Not all of us watching this series have read the source material.

Last edited by Key on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:47 am Reply with quote
As part of the so terrible I cant look away crowd I feel like the show has just gone to showing how much story or development you can avoid while still having any plot spliced with implied softcore hentai.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Can you elaborate on how this "back stabs" the fan base? Not all of us watching this series have read the source material.

They have cut the heart of the series out, So many interactions, even ones that will impact the future, have been chopped. The anime is so paper thin now. Understand that adaptation will streamline stuff, it is a given, but the production has gone even beyond that.

Arifureta the anime series is more like an animated travelogue or wikipedia entry. Almost everything about Verbergen the nation of Beastmen was cut. Not to mention the Empire has not even been mentioned yet. Last two episodes should have laid the ground work for the Empire.

Even what they do show, is sped by so fast.

I could live with the sub par animation, but they have gutted the series.

It is easy and sad to understand why anime only watchers have so many complaints about the characters and story. As a Arifureta fan it actually hurts to watch the anime.

edit, maybe backstab might be the wrong word, as that implies intent. Nonetheless, the production took the magic away from the series, and now it is just an animated speed run. And that is not just hyperbole.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Summary of the review and the thread: You like the anime? Get out! You like the manga? Hmm, ok. Get out! You like the original novel? Yeah. Get out!
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:
Summary of the review and the thread: You like the anime? Get out! You like the manga? Hmm, ok. Get out! You like the original novel? Yeah. Get out!

Everyone is free to have their own opinion, several people in this thread quite like the source material. You gotta deal with the fact that people have differing opinions on things. That is part of learning to get along with people. I agree that it can become pointless when 2 sides start rejecting one another but this thread hasn't been to bad for that. Some counter points but in the end it boiled down to interpretation. Though I think everyone agree's the anime has been mostly mishandled, animated badly, choppy story while also lacking focus on anything other then the lolita love story.
Van the Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:57 am Reply with quote
Gotta say episode 8 really made me glad I've stuck with the show to this point. That was hella peaceful.

Something I really enjoy in isekai - possibly even need from them - is when they acknowledge adult character's PoV. One of the reasons Ragnarok Master of etc. really failed for me was the lingering "Where are their parents!?!" after I watched the last episode. Hajime's first reunion being with the sensei and spending the episode becoming reacquainted with basic expectations of COMMUNITY through her - that idea that people hold each other up and support each other - it's poignant and something I really look for in isekai. The typical hikkokomori's main struggle in life is integrating with community - note I'm choosing "community" over "society" because my point isn't about economic integration which the latter includes but about emotional acceptance of/by other humans. Hajime's trying his best to IDGAF the Sensei away and her comical persistence is the perfect foil for it.

I wasn't really bothered by this episode being mostly sitting talking - the show's weak humor and the character centered plot progression held up for me. But, I also stopped looking for any interesting animation after...uh...a few minutes into episode 1. When it's airing in the same season of something as technically impressive as Shouboutai or Vinland it's pretty clear this is something one should try to enjoy through different means than being dazzled. I'd be bothered if Vinland had an episode without some beautiful violence glorification, but this? Nah.

These really cheesy, easy-to-write, "violent outspoken racist" characters are also....seeming more and more real these days, I'm sad to say.

Show seems simple, show seems throw-away, but it really has a lot going on for me. It hasn't yet reached a point where I've thought about dropping it (compared to Isekai Cheat which I consider not watching every week) but I could definitely see why a lot of people who were initially interested would have considered dropping it after Shea's intro episode and the mid season recap.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Can safely say I didn't expect to see explicit dragon bunghole. Can also say I was highly amused to do so, almost as much as the Microsoft Paint drag gravity attack. I wonder, are they gonna end the anime wit this monster attack, or go farther?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7