• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
with the dweeby Hajime being dropped to his doom by the class jock

Excuse you, the class jock is the brown-haired dude in golden armor. The bully's just a bully.

I watch the anime and I wonder, would it have been worth sitting through designs analogous to that horrid original key visual? Then I look back at the visual and I think, surely not, right?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The first episode made some baffling production choices but the pacing after that is fairly good and the first light novel was adapted into 5 episodes. The budget is a bit low which is an issue with the action scenes but that is often an issue for late night anime. Arifureta is a hyper masculine action story but it isn't about revenge which was seen in the conversation between Hajime and Yue in episode 3. Also there is a difference between a character not having a back story and having it be a mystery which is spoiler[than explored in future light novels].
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I find the idea that "the pivot from weenie to Dante" is charming because the show keeps "kicking the chair from under itself" odd. Regardless of whether the show's productions fail it or not, the subtext of the media is still there: a self indulgent journey from "Weenie to Dante". Frankly, I find this level of self indulgence to be offputting, not helped by the sheer amount of it in Isekai media.

As for Yue, that seems like a metatextual mess due to the visual age, the personality, the nudity and the current environment around the idea of "loli" characters. Top it off with the aforementioned self indulgence of the character arc and I genuinely am miffed about the show.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I've rambled a number of times already about how this adaptation fails on a number of important levels, but I think one of the biggest things the anime is missing are those little moments of self-awareness that I think display more personality and charm than whatever attempt is being made to make this the top pick for Linkin Park AMVs, or Three Days Grace, pick your poison. A particularly memorable bit is after clearing the labyrinth and Hajime is equipped with a bunch of silly equipment and accessories, an eyepatch, a prosthetic arm, black jacket, etc. He's crushed by the horrifying realization that he's gone full chuuni edgelord and locks himself in his room by himself to sulk for an entire day. Moments like that help convey that Arifureta is very much aware of what kind of story it is and what you're here for, but it also tells us that Hajime is still the same silly nerd no matter how lopsided the black-to-everything else ratio in his design is.

You'll never see me argue that the series is high literature or anything but the baffling adaptive choices being made nonetheless disappoint me, and I can't even muster an ironic watch of it.

I'm of the opinion that it'll get a little better starting next episode because the next two books that I read transitioned into an overall noticeably lighter tone that's more frequently willing to have more fun with itself, but eh, we'll see.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Its funny to see the comparisons made to some of the worst isekai ever made when talking about this series, all while this admittedly "bad" show is airing along side Maou Sama Retry! which is many orders of magnitude more of a disaster. I hope the contributors to this column cover that one, it never manages to make me laugh and cry at how broken the production is.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
If the writer thinks THIS was an improvement from the initial attempt either 1) that version was so bad that THIS is the best they could do or 2) he's just a control freak who didn't like his beloved work being meddled with. This, my friends, is why letting the original creator having a say in adaptations is kind of a crap shoot as authors aren't script writers or storyboard artists.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
If the writer thinks THIS was an improvement from the initial attempt either 1) that version was so bad that THIS is the best they could do or 2) he's just a control freak who didn't like his beloved work being meddled with. This, my friends, is why letting the original creator having a say in adaptations is kind of a crap shoot as authors aren't script writers or storyboard artists.

It was this one I think
https://i.imgur.com/krGIY5Z.jpg
which isn't as bad as expected but eh, MC there looks like a literal brat.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

All that was revealed of the first take was that one key visual and admittedly, it doesn't look great. As far as I know, no real PV footage exists. So just based on that, I can see why he would get upset.

I don't know what his opinion of the current production is, but I can't imagine it's a particularly glowing one.
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Useing the Hanna-Barbera bongos is probably the most artistically correct thing they have done this whole production.

I've read to the end of the after story and this is supposed to be the Team Titans Go of isekai.

The author knows he is doing a spoof. The dial on this STARTS at 11 and the red lines it.

This is supposed to be 'Chuck Jones does Sheild Hero'.
Next arc is going to make it impossible to do any other way so heres to hope
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

All that was revealed of the first take was that one key visual and admittedly, it doesn't look great. As far as I know, no real PV footage exists. So just based on that, I can see why he would get upset.

I don't know what his opinion of the current production is, but I can't imagine it's a particularly glowing one.

He saw more than that, as detailed here:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-07-10/arifureta-author-may-have-prompted-anime-staff-change/.148858

But even then, this is a "be careful what you wish for" thing; he made a big fuss about it, so now he has shares part of the blame. Whoops on his part.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but his former-yet-age-appropriate love interest has resigned herself to the fact that Hajime is totally dead.

spoiler[Totally not true, quite the opposite], at least in the Light Novels. Everyone else thinks he is dead, spoiler[she believes he is alive]. Not only that, but the intuition spoiler[that she has a romantic rival for him.]

Quote:
But the premise is also the most tired kind of nerd revenge fantasy,

Nerd fantasy, but not revenge. He no longer cares about his classmates, not even wanting to get revenge for the bullying, and the attempted murder.

For me, the best thing about Arifureta, as a fan of the light novel and the manga, is that we get to see our favorite characters animated. Sad that this is the only positive thing I can say about the anime. It even fails as a advertisement for the source material. The anime is so bad, that I can see it turning away new people who might have been interested in the light novel.

The opening song and animation is so lifeless that not even a defibrillator can bring it back to life.

Because of the crappy editing and extreme adaptation condensation of the light novels, no one cares about the characters, and even five episodes in the reviewers are still incorrectly referring to Arifureta as a revenge fantasy.

Don't need to say any more about the actual animation, as the reviewers have correctly pointed out all the issues about that.

Just a bloody disappointment for fans of the series.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Do you really think he have that kinda power? If he really have such a control to delay or even change the studio, then he will actively take part with the storyboard production before even the first version come out if he really that bothered with it in the first place. But he only say that he got to take a look at the storyboard they send. What a cliche 'people and media try to blame it to one person'.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:

Do you really think he have that kinda power? If he really have such a control to delay or even change the studio, then he will actively take part with the storyboard production before even the first version come out if he really that bothered with it in the first place. But he only say that he got to take a look at the storyboard they send. What a cliche 'people and media try to blame it to one person'.

But more often than not, original authors DO hold that power and if something os not to their liking stop production/distribution.
Usually they know better than to do that though.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
... all while this admittedly "bad" show is airing along side Maou Sama Retry! which is many orders of magnitude more of a disaster. I hope the contributors to this column cover that one...s.

Get in line, Cop Craft (of Berserker director fame) can be better mined for this ANN feature, that is, if they ramp the brightness dial to see what is happening on some scenes.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The problem with cop craft action scenes isn't the light levels, it's the framing. 180-degree line, go and watch Paprika.

(I actually think it's deliberate, because it's a pretty basic thing and they've been doing it really consistently.)

On the topic I have nothing nice to say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3