• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singer Piko Announces Hiatus Due to End-Stage Kidney Disease

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Sub-headline:
"Live events cancelled as Piko fouses on treatment"

Should be "focuses"
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I could've sworn from listening to their songs that Piko was female...
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Nooooooooooooo!! For people who are not familiar with end stage kidney disease, we are talking about advance kidney failure that may occur anytime, it’s as close as life-threatening as you can get. After all, kidney transplant success rate is not as high as some of us may believe.

I am praying that he can have a full recovery, regardless of how long it’s might take him
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The highlight of this article is that kidney donors have already been lined up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
TEN YEARS AND IT WENT UNNOTICED?!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Nooooooooooooo!! For people who are not familiar with end stage kidney disease, we are talking about advance kidney failure that may occur anytime, it’s as close as life-threatening as you can get. After all, kidney transplant success rate is not as high as some of us may believe.

I am praying that he can have a full recovery, regardless of how long it’s might take him

People can live on dialysis for many years, though obviously a transplant is the ideal outcome. Unfortunately the waiting list can be extremely long. Everyone should definitely be registered as an organ donor.

#897807 wrote:

That's not surprising for a kidney condition. If it's a genetic condition like polycystic kidney disease, it can take decades before a person starts experiencing issues.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
#897807 wrote:

Speaking as someone who previously held a job in the dialysis and dialysis products industry, one of a number of disheartening things I learned was how unfortunately common it is for chronic kidney disease to be misdiagnosed, or diagnosed significantly later than it should be by which time it has advanced to end stage renal disease.

Like a number of other health conditions, its symptoms are not as immediately apparent to individuals as being indicative of CKD specifically, or even being indicative of something "serious" at all. We're talking about things like lethargy, nausea, muscle cramps, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping, all of which could mean something terrible like CKD is beginning to develop, or that "I've just had a long week at work but it's nothing to worry about and I'll just get some extra sleep this weekend." Compounding the problem is the lack of accuracy of diagnosis by health care professionals, again due in large part to the vagueness and ubiquity of the symptoms.

By the time the symptoms become chronic and persistent, and thus serious enough for many people to actually go to the doctor at all, and for the doctor to then diagnose correctly, in far too many cases a person has already advanced from early stage CKD to ESRD and has to go on a far more intensive, regimented, and in its own way debilitating, dialysis regimen than they otherwise would have, or get a transplant. It seems as if this was the case with Piko, as with far too many others.
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
As someone with CKD Stage 3A, I'd like to let everyone know that NSAIDs are NOT completely safe. We've all heard the horror stories about acetaminophen/paracetamol related liver failure, but NSAIDs like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, et al., put pressure on the kidneys to get them out of the system. They are so easy to abuse because we think they're safe and relieve headaches and muscle and joint pain so well! Stage 5 is the terminal stage where you need dialysis or a transplant. I'm lucky my doctor caught it early, but an artist on the road is likely to put off the blood tests needed to diagnose it, and ascribe their fatigue to the rigors of touring and performing.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
May he get better soon and rest well.

Takkun4343 wrote:
I could've sworn from listening to their songs that Piko was female...

You didn't know Piko was a boy? He has a VOCALOID with his voice too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1