• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19 was the best action episode I have seen in anime this year. It had incredible animation, fantastic direction, and was an emotionally powerful episode. It does follow the standard Shonen Jump formula of Tanjiro and Nezuko powering up to defeat a powerful enemy but it was one of the best examples of that I have seen. I get that not everyone is a fan of having a flashback in the middle of a fight but it drops some major hints that their father wasn't just an ordinary blacksmith. Demon Slayer varies in terms of comedy but in terms of action, drama, and story it is one of the best shows of the season.
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
GrilleSechsH wrote:
The season probably ends after they heal up and get a bit of a power up. Second season should start with the train.

I think so, too, even though that is a very awkward place to stop, specially after such an explosive fight as this one. I originally thought the first season might've gone up to the train since the ending of that arc makes for a perfect season ending but alas.

I like it to stop here and start fresh next season but if they want to deliver a gut punch to end the season I wouldn't mind it either.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
GrilleSechsH wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
GrilleSechsH wrote:
The season probably ends after they heal up and get a bit of a power up. Second season should start with the train.

I think so, too, even though that is a very awkward place to stop, specially after such an explosive fight as this one. I originally thought the first season might've gone up to the train since the ending of that arc makes for a perfect season ending but alas.

I like it to stop here and start fresh next season but if they want to deliver a gut punch to end the season I wouldn't mind it either.

I personally think that this season gonna ended with the shot of the group go on the train.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode was awesome. Nothing more to add

The reviewer complained that the flashbacks were unnecessary but if you remember, the lady mentioned that one theory is that people have flashbacks before death to find something useful to survive. Hence why the flashes are justified
Cab329

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, originally I was hoping we would get to the train since it’s a great little arc with some interesting insight into Tanjiro and one of the pillars...but it would also serve as a pretty good opener for the next season as a tone setter.

As for 19, I adored it. I will admit the breathing was a bit convenient though on top of his flashback being something to help him (and maybe was even his family’s spirits helping him out low they did with Nezuko), I figure it was something like this:

His dad probably taught him the basics of the breathing but since he didn’t have a need for the boost it gives, he only practiced that casually.

Now that he is experienced with breathing for battles, he was able to put two and two together, turning the breathing he practiced as a child into something useable.

For me it reminds me of when I practiced martial arts. Even when you’re early on, you might have moments where everything clicks despite you not mastering the techniques and forms and you can briefly pull off a moment of mastery through instinct and intuition. Tanjiro was able to use his knowledge of total concentration and water breathing and his memories of his father to briefly obtain that power (not much of a spoiler but he definitely isn’t going to be pulling that out easily again and he’ll still default to water breathing when a fight starts)

As for Nezuko, I do like that we got to hear her voice. Sadly, it was just internal monologue, but it was a good touch that her mind is still in there...and most importantly, she didn’t do it under the influence of her conditioning.

In fact, one thing that future arcs do show is that she isn’t under the control of the conditioning anymore. She is making her own decisions in combat and future arcs do show she has some clever uses for her abilities.
CreepingDeath

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
The fathers Kagura dance was one of the most impressive perceives of animation I've ever seen. The fluidity of it was mesmerizing.
Torakatsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
Episode was awesome. Nothing more to add

The reviewer complained that the flashbacks were unnecessary but if you remember, the lady mentioned that one theory is that people have flashbacks before death to find something useful to survive. Hence why the flashes are justified

I feel like the flashbacks in this episode were well placed. Overall much better pacing than the Zenitsu episode thankfully.
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Well it seems like they will drag this out, might not even get on the train.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:02 am Reply with quote
So demons can be killed by poison? Not just decapitations or sunlight? Why not mass distribute that stuff to all demon slayers? It would make killing them a lot easier, with not having to go for a very specific killing strike each time.
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:06 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
So demons can be killed by poison? Not just decapitations or sunlight? Why not mass distribute that stuff to all demon slayers? It would make killing them a lot easier, with not having to go for a very specific killing strike each time.

Think it's something unique to Shinobu, no one else uses poison not even her apprentice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Do you guys not have any patience for these things?
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

It ain't so simple. Shinobu's Breath of the Insect was tailored to let her inject poison into her enemies. If you can't inject it in the right way, the demons can just deal with it with their high regeneration. The amount of poison needed also grows the stronger the demon is to the point that you need literally 50kg of poison to actually kill the more powerful ones.
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Since this episode was 2 chapters from the manga the next 6 episodes should take us to spoiler[the train arc]. To the author there is still 1 demon on the mountain (Nezuko) and only the boys and Giyu know her nature, how will Shinobu react as well as the other members of the corps. Then you need time to heal before you train and how will Muzan take the news that one of the lower moons was killed?

Mod Edit- please remember to always tag manga spoilers. even if they are fairly vague spoilers such as the name of a story arc.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Well that takes care of all the demons from the intro besides the big bad, so I guess things will be a bit calm and then end on cliff hanger or something along those lines.

Good episode this week. I hope Tanjiro manages to get that spirit cat some blood to take back...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
you need literally 50kg of poison to actually kill the more powerful ones.

If you could get them to hold still long enough to stuff them with 110 pounds of anything, poison or not, you might as well just cut their head off while they're being so accommodating. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 20