• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Anime Gets 2 New Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan Video Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
When will these be available in america?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
So is Rohan really popular? I haven't seen anyone else get spin off titles.
#854626 wrote:
That will be interesting, I wonder if he will get recast, I suppose it depends on how well the lawsuit goes.
Chaotic-Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:

If you mean physically, probably never. OVA's rarely make it outside of Japan, unless they're packaged in a movie set or something similar, but even in cases like that, it's still rare to see it happen.
Amibite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So is Rohan really popular? I haven't seen anyone else get spin off titles.

It's based on the Rohan spin off chapters in the manga.

https://jojo.fandom.com/wiki/Thus_Spoke_Kishibe_Rohan

Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
If you mean physically, probably never. OVA's rarely make it outside of Japan, unless they're packaged in a movie set or something similar, but even in cases like that, it's still rare to see it happen.

I remember when they released the High School of the Dead OVA here on disk. A short 15 minute OVA got a stand alone release. Pretty hard to see that happening these days.

Otherwise, they might wait until there's enough to fill a boxset release or tag them on the regular sets. Viz is pretty good about release OVAs, at least as far as Naruto goes. I think we got all the Naruto OVAs and movies in some form or another. Funimation would probably just let them stay in Japan like the Dragonball, One Piece, and Fairy Tail OVAs
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Cool but what about Dead Man's Questions? It´s kind of important and could be done in one 30 min. OVA.

@MarshalBanana I couldn't care less about dubs but Mignogna won´t ever be employed by a major studio. He publically sued a major studio and co-workers. All sorts of actors or public personalities with equally creepy reputations managed to make a (partial) come back but you can´t drag the hand that feeds through the mud and then expect to be welcomed by the same system. It´s frankly impressive how far he managed to ruin his reputation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:

Viz is pretty good about release OVAs, at least as far as Naruto goes. I think we got all the Naruto OVAs and movies in some form or another.

Ehhh it's also the same Viz that significantly delayed Terraformars and still didn't include the two 2014 prequel OVAs in their 2018 English Blu-ray releases.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Viz is pretty good about release OVAs, at least as far as Naruto goes. I think we got all the Naruto OVAs and movies in some form or another.

With Naruto we only ever got the second OVA here in English while the first one only came out in Australia subtitled-only.

Meanwhile, to use a recent example, Viz did get One Punch Man's mini-OVAs that came with the Japanese video releases and even dubbed them but they did not get the OVA that came with the one manga volume that included it in Japan.

With Rohan, it's hard to tell if Viz will bother with these because in the case of the previously released episodes, one was released as a pre-order bonus for those who bought the Japanese discs while the second was a bonus with the manga's second volume so the latter probably would have made it impossible anyway and now with these new episodes happening, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get any of them at all if they knew about them happening beforehand.

Quote:
Funimation would probably just let them stay in Japan like the Dragonball, One Piece, and Fairy Tail OVAs

If only Kodansha didn't give up with Attack on Titan. Despite no English dub, they did a decent job with the 4 DVDs they put out here with volumes 17-20 and kinda made Viz look foolish for not doing the same with the missing One Punch Man OVA (which would have been easier to dub considering they have the anime). Really wish they released more, especially since 3 more episodes were produced after season 2 ended (we were only missing Distress before but now there's the 3 episodes of the Lost Girls spinoff).

As for FUNi, they're also inconsistent. For those 3 examples, there's stuff like the OVAs for Tsubasa, AssClass and Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card which they did get (well, Crunchyroll in CCS' case since they're master licensor), dubbed and released but yeah, it is pretty annoying when they don't get certain OVAs as well. *looks at the missing 2 episodes of Hellsing: The Dawn and the 2 DBZ specials that got Blu-ray releases in France*
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:17 am Reply with quote
This gives me even more hope that the Yoshikage Kira beyond death short story might get made some day
Amibite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

With Naruto we only ever got the second OVA here in English while the first one only came out in Australia subtitled-only.

Maybe it was the Australian releases I was seeing then, although I'm pretty sure America bundled some OVAs in with the various video game and movie home releases.

Quote:
Meanwhile, to use a recent example, Viz did get One Punch Man's mini-OVAs that came with the Japanese video releases and even dubbed them but they did not get the OVA that came with the one manga volume that included it in Japan.

I'm assuming OVAs that come bundled with manga are a licensing conflict. Especially if the manga and anime are licensed by different companies. Likewise ONAs like Super Dragon Ball Heroes might belong to Bandai since it involves their arcade games.
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
It'd be awesome if Purple Haze Feedback got an OVA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1