• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: to the abandoned Sacred Beasts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:32 am Reply with quote
Was angry blondie supposed to come off as good but misguided or as a self-righteous egoistical jerk? Because right now heseems to be the latter.
His outright JOY at Schaal shooting down her father and the words he directed at her after murdering Trice (to which she was upsettingly submissive) make him no better than his brother. At least Cain Madhouse's cause isn't just going on a blind murderous rampage.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
Ep8
I found funny that this blonde merangel babe cannot find a singing job and people seemed disgusted by her appearance.
The angry blond guy turned out to be an a-hole! The way he talked to her at the end. What a douche!

So far i find this show very entertaining, much better that last season's kinda similar Fairy Gone.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
A complaint I had about this series is that none of the individual tragedies seemed to matter. Nobody (except Schaal at the beginning) learned from or changed after any individual encounter. Like the Behemoth encounter. It was mostly harmless, he never broke his oath, he was killed off anyway, everyone cried a little and then moved on, never to reconsider anything.
And I thought the same would happen to Trice's case, so I was happy to see her case being mentioned again to at least try to change someone's worldview - although it still felt off as Schaal mentioned it as if it were a distant unfortunate occurence that no one was to blame for, while cheerfully pampering the one guy that murdered her friend for no good reason; I don't think that's how human beings act.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
SO has the series addressed that whole ptsd angle yet.....Because thats kinda an important thing to bring up
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
SO has the series addressed that whole ptsd angle yet.....Because thats kinda an important thing to bring up

Currently the majority of Incarnates are civilians who volunteered for a government backed super soldier experiment..An experiment that heightened pre-existing personality traits to the point of utterly dominating the subject..and also transformed the subjects into beasts/monsters.

Make of that what you will but I just do not see a ptsd angle...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
The closest was the minotaur with its constant paranoid fear of enemy assault.
Otherwise, their other mental scars are all either about their bodies or taking delight on violence. Nobody is specially concerned about the war horrors they witnessed.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize the show was over until I read this last review.
This show was so wholly unimpressive. It's themes and premise weren't too mishandled, but it didn't do anything remarkable with them.

It's also quite cacophonic in how its examples don't match the overarching themes. A basic premise, a guideline, of this show seems to be "because this tragic thing happened to them, they will lose their humanity so they must die" but then several of the concrete cases completely defy it (even the violent cases), yet the show and the rest of the characters carry on ignoring it. The guideline is absolute and immovable. The conclusion must always be the same despite the circumstances.
It says a lot that the designated irredeemable villain's words ring truer and fairer than ANYTHING the good guys have to say.

I could also have mentioned it in a previous post, but something that WAS severely mishandled is the whole deal about "the oath". Hank constantly acts as if that "mercy kill" oath was something that they agreed on, when in reality it's something he one-sidedly decided to the horror and silence of his comrades, without the input of any of them.
I don't know if he is supposed to be unaware of what his ex-comrades are and were feeling, but he comes off as egoistical and self-righteous... not very unlike the Gargoyle actually.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cain's motivation likely stemmed from jealousy. He was envious of the attention that Hank was getting from Elaine, perhaps because he was in love with her himself.

There's that; the manga also implies it's spoiler[daddy issues too. Cain resents his cold, calculating father the President, and wants to get back at him via his war. Plus Cain really believes in getting a future for Incarnates, even if he has to be ruthless about it.]

Quote:
If this is the last animated content we see from the franchise, then at least it steps off at a reasonable stopping point.

The anime covered the 1st 30 manga chapters (up to midway of Vol 6).The manga shows no signs of ending or stopping anytime soon.

There's still more content to cover though; manga chapter 54 came out recently and confirms some worldbuilding intrigue introduced from Vols 7-9spoiler[ re. the somnium and the true nature of Elaine's "research".]

spoiler[A Vol 7 footnote reveals some miners who first discovered somnium could hear the mineral trying to “speak” with them, sending visions into their heads. Vols 8-9; and Chp 54, reveal a rogue faction of Patria’s Church, led by the sinister priest Ferguson, came to believe that God was inside the somnium and that it was their holy duty to follow the somnium’s visions (“the Voice of God”) to bring God back into the world.]

spoiler[They started trying to find intermediaries who could properly hear the Voice; by exposing their wards and orphans to the mineral. They finally succeeded after exposing Elaine to it, since she could hear and see the visions the clearest without going insane (they brainwashed her into believing it was divine revelation).
Ferguson’s faction took advantage of the Civil War to procure resources to make the Voice of God come true; they convinced North Patria’s government that making Incarnates was a sign that God was favouring the North.
A secret research facility was funded and built over a somnium deposit for that purpose (Hank, Liza and Schaal investigate its ruins in Vol 7). (The flashback-oriented) Vols 8-9 show that somnium cores were made following Elaine’s “research” and implanted into multiple test subjects; dying and heavily wounded soldiers from the battlefield. The casualty rate was immense.
Hank was later drafted into the war and sustained mortal injuries. Elaine performed the transplant on him to save his life; it worked and thus the 1st Incarnate was made.]

spoiler[In the latest Chp 54, Ferguson has gone to meet Cain. He wants to support Cain’s research to meet his religious goal of having the Incarnates give rise to God. (Even Cain is shocked by the priest's reveals.) Ferguson reveals that Cain’s research into Incarnate cores is missing a vital component, “the holy maiden’s blood” (blood of a woman who is receptive to somnium visions). Although Cain still has Elaine’s body, her blood is no longer fresh for the purpose. A new holy maiden is needed. The story is setting up Schaal as the new holy maiden, since she shows the same receptiveness to the somnium after discovering a mined vein of it in Vol 7. Also, Elizabeth the spider-lady has sought help from Hank. She believes Cain’s latest plan for an all-out invasion of North Patria’s capital is doomed to fail now the North is on their guard, and wants Hank to stop him before he gets them all killed.
]
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
Well guess that's that. I have to admit I disliked every single change the anime made to the source material. From the wannabe AoT gear they gave Coup de Grace and the ridiculous weapons they have, Schaal not being the one to kill Gargoryle, or all the changes the last episode had such as removing what occurred when they entered the fortress and completely changing the Hank and Cain fight to him having some new super powers.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
#890256 wrote:
Well guess that's that. I have to admit I disliked every single change the anime made to the source material. From the wannabe AoT gear they gave Coup de Grace and the ridiculous weapons they have, Schaal not being the one to kill Gargoryle, or all the changes the last episode had such as removing what occurred when they entered the fortress and completely changing the Hank and Cain fight to him having some new super powers.

While I'll agree with you on the other points, I disagree about Schaal not shooting Gargoyle. As I said in the episode reviews, I felt that change set up a stronger impact for when she had to shoot her father.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2