• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weathering With You Film Is Japan's 1st Anime Submitted for Oscar in International Category Si

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
So before we (in the US) can even watch it, it will be in our major Motion Picture award show lol. Thanks GKIDS!. Seriously, why are they forcing us to wait for the dub to done before showing the sub? Literally everyone I know that ISN'T in the US has seen the film in theaters now in their own countries but thanks to GKIDS wanting to air the sub at the same time as the dub, I can't even talk about the film with a large % of my friends and even had to leave anime discord channels due to the large number of non-Americans that had watched it, just so I could avoid spoilers. I have to avoid spoilers for another 4+ months because of this illogical decision from GKIDS
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine it will actually get nominated in the Foreign Language category. It's such tough competition and I can't recall animated films having much luck (except for Waltz With Bashir, which was the first animated film to break through).
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, since animation is basically "Disney vs. Dreamworks" at this point for winners, I don't blame them for entering into the International category. Didn't even know Princess Mononoke originally did, too. Makes sense though since they could go either way, but awful to see how the animation category has been treated and everyone usually just "going with Disney, cause Disney".
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely wonderful. I am so happy that this so successful. I am so looking forward to watching this when it makes its way here
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't personally see much value in the Oscars, but it's a smart business move. You lose nothing if you lose and gain ridiculous levels in rep and prestige in the Hollywood sphere if you win. Any marketer for Jp animated films would want it to be the next Spirited Away.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Well, since animation is basically "Disney vs. Dreamworks" at this point for winners, I don't blame them for entering into the International category. Didn't even know Princess Mononoke originally did, too. Makes sense though since they could go either way, but awful to see how the animation category has been treated and everyone usually just "going with Disney, cause Disney".
This was my thought too, especially since both your name. and A Silent Voice got snubbed (Boss Baby? come on Academy....) it may be the only chance it has of winning, but still, sometimes I wonder if its more money than art that talks sometimes, as in which studio can push their film to the voters more...
Raz_G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:51 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Well, since animation is basically "Disney vs. Dreamworks" at this point for winners, I don't blame them for entering into the International category.

Well, it also came from a big studio, but "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" did manage to surprise, so everything can happen. The problem, similar to that of "Princess Mononoke" two decades ago, is that the film has little hype to fly on. Like Mononoke, it made lots of money in Japan, but this means nothing to Academy members. "Spirited Away" had won the grand price at the Berlin Film Festival, and was chosen by Roger Ebert as the best film of the year; "Waltz with Bashir" won at Cannes and at the Golden Globes. Maybe if "Weathering With You" can snatch some big prize in Toronto, it can get some of the attention it needs to be considered for nomination in either the International Film or the Animated Feature categories.

Last edited by Raz_G on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
This was my thought too, especially since both your name. and A Silent Voice got snubbed (Boss Baby? come on Academy....) it may be the only chance it has of winning, but still, sometimes I wonder if its more money than art that talks sometimes, as in which studio can push their film to the voters more...
It got snubbed because Eleven Arts (who's licensed A Silent Voice for cinema run) don't give a two cents neither for the actual good Oscar run and promotion, nor the real run in the US theaters to get the movie at least to short-list, unlike GKIDS who actually cares about the runs to get at least nominations for both Oscars and Annie for Kaguya, When Marnie Was There, Miss Hokusai, Napping Princess and Mirai. And I don't think that A Silent Voice was at less level than all of them, it's about the screwed distribution of movie in US.

And yeah, it's pretty always about not the money, but the bias than art - the most Academics just don't even watch the movies and voting out in the most part what their kids picking.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:28 am Reply with quote
Best Foreign Film has to be submitted the year it's released in its original country, but foreign Best Animated Film contenders are given an extra year from original release date to be eligible for the next-next Oscars, provided they do the Los Angeles county qualifying run that 2nd year.

So technically, Japan can submit Weathering With You for the 2019 Best Foreign Film Oscars, and then GKids can submit it again for the 2020 Best Animated Film Oscars.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1