• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
While i'm still enjoying the anime a lot, i also believe that rearranging the manga chapters or adding original content didn't really improve anything.

Thorfinn losing his head (or rather, the enemy commander's) made me chuckle a bit, though.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Are they actually going to reach vinland at some point? If they do, he's going to be pretty disapointed that slavery and war also exist on the other side.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Are they actually going to reach vinland at some point?
Well, the manga does seem to be headed that way, given which historical figures some of its characters are based on. Although they were nowhere near getting there at the point where I last read the manga, which was volume spoiler[21]. For comparison, the anime has now fully covered the first two volumes and is already a bit into volume 3; the end of Thorfinn's conversation with Hordaland was originally where the manga segued into the backstory arc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:06 pm Reply with quote
It's very weird to me to see the Danish prince's name spelled Canute instead of Knut. I guess I get why it's anglicized, but it still bugs me. Very Happy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
There sure seems to be a lot of treasure in this part of the world in this period, Askeladd does not have to look far to find it, and is able to ask to be paid in gold by the pound.
Merida wrote:
While i'm still enjoying the anime a lot, i also believe that rearranging the manga chapters or adding original content didn't really improve anything.
I won't comment on the order, but in terms of original content, I keep thinking the Anime has cut content out, despite being told otherwise, because of how rushed it seems in places.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
^It probably feels rushed because we got Thorfinn's childhood as the actual start of the show and not as a flashback later, so anime-only viewers probably expected a slower transition?

Well, i'm happy we'll be getting to the good stuff spoiler[as far as the prologue is concerned] now. Hopefully the pacing's going to get better, too.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Thorkell just didn't seem... Thorkell-esque enough for me in his debut. Well, there's plenty of time and scenes to up his Thorkell-ness so I'm not too concerned about it.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people don't really 'get' Thorkell and his inclusion in the story thematically.

For the most part , Vinland Saga is a decidedly anti-war anti-violence kind of series, and really drives that home.

But at the same time, through Thorkell spoiler[and another character much later on], Vinland Saga acknowledges that there are people who thrive and live well within that kind of violent system.

From an "objective" standpoint, one cannot criticize Thorkell because he thinks violence is fun and lives positively off it, it is the life and system that works for him.

He does not lament the loss of fingers or appendages, he is accepting of the system that accepts him and all the pros and cons that come with it.

Conversely to Thorfinn, who seems to believe that violence is awful but treats it as a necessary evil to avenge his father, unaware of how he traps himself in a system that does nothing for him and he need not participate in.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every age has their Flokis and their Askeladds and their Thorkells, who revel and thrive in the blood-soaked soil of war and conquest. So too are there Thorfinns, who rightly wonder if there isn't a better way to live.

I'm still hopeful the show realize this, but at this point Thorfinns is just as evil as anyone person in the show, if not more so. He's participating in raid and raping, he might not do it himself but he sure help. Thorkell is actively working toward stopping a raid, he has a much more positive influence on the world than Thorfinns ever did. Maybe he enjoy battle and Thorfinns hates it, but Thorfinns winning this battle would have lead to murder and rape, whereas Thorkell winning prevented that. Thorfinn might be the main character, but him dying would be a pretty good thing for people in that world, and I hope this start changing soon.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quote:
Every age has their Flokis and their Askeladds and their Thorkells, who revel and thrive in the blood-soaked soil of war and conquest. So too are there Thorfinns, who rightly wonder if there isn't a better way to live.

I'm still hopeful the show realize this, but at this point Thorfinns is just as evil as anyone person in the show, if not more so. He's participating in raid and raping, he might not do it himself but he sure help. Thorkell is actively working toward stopping a raid, he has a much more positive influence on the world than Thorfinns ever did. Maybe he enjoy battle and Thorfinns hates it, but Thorfinns winning this battle would have lead to murder and rape, whereas Thorkell winning prevented that. Thorfinn might be the main character, but him dying would be a pretty good thing for people in that world, and I hope this start changing soon.

“Thorkell having a more positive influence on the world” okay that’s funny. Kudos to you for saying such a hilarious joke.

Here’s the thing about Thorkell, the guy loves to fight, he really does & he doesn’t care who he has to fight as long as he gets it.

Remember that because that becomes an important detail about Thorkell.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
“Thorkell having a more positive influence on the world” okay that’s funny. Kudos to you for saying such a hilarious joke.

Here’s the thing about Thorkell, the guy loves to fight, he really does & he doesn’t care who he has to fight as long as he gets it.

I'm not quite sure what the population of London was at that time, I'm guessing around 10 000-20 000, that's a lot of people Thorkell just helped saved. Thornfins on the other hand has... literally 0 person he saved in his life, but he's been in the raiding/raping business for years now, so he's probably at like -5000 peoples or something like that.

I don't think the people of London gave one crap about whether or not Thorkell was doing this out of his love for them or just because he enjoy fighting. Likewise I don't think anybody that got murder by Askeladd mercenary cared that Thornfins was fighting to avenge his dad, to them he was just another rampaging monster, and I'd be inclined to agree with them.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

I'm not quite sure what the population of London was at that time, I'm guessing around 10 000-20 000, that's a lot of people Thorkell just helped saved. Thornfins on the other hand has... literally 0 person he saved in his life, but he's been in the raiding/raping business for years now, so he's probably at like -5000 peoples or something like that.

I don't think the people of London gave one crap about whether or not Thorkell was doing this out of his love for them or just because he enjoy fighting. Likewise I don't think anybody that got murder by Askeladd mercenary cared that Thornfins was fighting to avenge his dad, to them he was just another rampaging monster, and I'd be inclined to agree with them.

That’s the funny bit, you saying Thorkell is the better person or doing more good just cause he’s defending the invaded side. It’s hilarious spoiler[ cause he turns on his employers & joins the other side solely to keep the war going. He doesn’t even give a small crap about the people he protects, he just wants to fight & he’ll do whatever it takes to keep fighting no matter how immoral it is.]
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:32 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

That’s the funny bit, you saying Thorkell is the better person or doing more good just cause he’s defending the invaded side. It’s hilarious spoiler[ cause he turns on his employers & joins the other side solely to keep the war going. He doesn’t even give a small crap about the people he protects, he just wants to fight & he’ll do whatever it takes to keep fighting no matter how immoral it is.]

Oh yeah that's pretty obviously what he's going to do, but even the simple act of helping London now is more than Thorfinns ever did.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
^Well, that's the point. Thorfinn is not the great shounen hero who's fighting for justice, he's a revenge-driven brat who doesn't care much about anything else. His character development shall come with time, but this is definitely not a story for the impatient type...
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Thorkell is a good guy doing good because he is fighting for the civilized british against the barbaric yoke. What a funny joke! Laughing

Don't they lose in the end?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13