• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AA751

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Rua backstory was the first demon that made me cry. So I really loved this episode. It made me feel deeply. Also Shinobu dialogue was a gift.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed this arc, especially the ending. I do agree that the sudden pathos flashbacks for the demons are getting a bit rote, but the show has more than made up for it by having more awesome fight scenes and baby Nezuko, and less Zenitsu.

I was on the fence with the show after the haunted house arc, but this storyline has definitely put it back into hype status for me. It also helps that Shinobu is the first new character in a while that I actually want to see more of.

Supposedly the next arc is much beloved by fans of the manga (I've been avoiding spoilers), so I'm excited to see how they close out the first installment of the show!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually starting to take a liking to Butterfly Girl. There's just something about her visual portrayal with the butterfly motif (maybe that cape?) which really works, and her gentle brand of ruthlessness is one character archetype I've never minded.

That and the unexpected bits of humor aside, I do have to agree that this episode seemed to be just killing time to set up the ending. Still a pretty decent episode overall but not one of the better ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
While I get the low score I have to admit I'll happily watch an entire series of Shinobu and Tomioka annoying each other.

There's something amusing about hyper-serious "Batman-like" characters like Tomioka being made fun of. Showing the world doesn't take them nearly as seriously as they take themselves and they're vulnerable to the same dumb mistakes as the rest of humanity.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
While I get the low score I have to admit I'll happily watch an entire series of Shinobu and Tomioka annoying each other.

Tomioka's role in it felt a little flat (although of course some of that comes across just given his role as the straight man in most of the jokes), I thought, but I mostly agree. Shinobu in particular has been a shocking delight of a character so far.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like he didn't get the blood he needed =/

I have to admit I rolled my eyes a bit when we got yet another tragic backstory as Rui was killed. I hope the trend begins to stop or at least goes on hiatus as I feel it really takes away from the impact when it becomes so common place.

This episode was fine, about what you'd expect for a transition episode, but tiny Nezuko's cuteness definitely raises it a few points Laughing
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
I've really enjoyed this arc, especially the ending. I do agree that the sudden pathos flashbacks for the demons are getting a bit rote, but the show has more than made up for it by having more awesome fight scenes and baby Nezuko, and less Zenitsu.

I was on the fence with the show after the haunted house arc, but this storyline has definitely put it back into hype status for me. It also helps that Shinobu is the first new character in a while that I actually want to see more of.

Supposedly the next arc is much beloved by fans of the manga (I've been avoiding spoilers), so I'm excited to see how they close out the first installment of the show!

The next big arc is not going to be adapted in this season, there is not enough episodes.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
when this episode begun with an extender backstory for the spider boy I legitimately had to check if I wasn't replaying the previous episode by mistake. I mean, we already spent a sizable amount of run-time with his back story the previous week, at this point any more is redundant. while I can appreciate a show wanting to give more nuance to their villains and their motivation, this just felt like the show dragging its feet due to the low amount of episodes left not being enough for another arc.

Ironically the few bits we got of kocho's and Tamioka's straight man routine has been by far the most successful the show has been at comedy so far imo
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote
I think most people kinda glossover the backstory 2nd purpose: To showcase Muzan relationship with his minion. Rather than have the bad guy interact with the main cast, it show how the main bad guy interact with his minion so that we can have an idea what kind of person he is without reducing his thread.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
I think most people kinda glossover the backstory 2nd purpose: To showcase Muzan relationship with his minion. Rather than have the bad guy interact with the main cast, it show how the main bad guy interact with his minion so that we can have an idea what kind of person he is without reducing his thread.
Did we learn anything new about Muzan though? He barely showed up, and when he was around he acted basically exactly how I would have predicted he would based on what we've seen of him so far.
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:58 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:
Did we learn anything new about Muzan though? He barely showed up, and when he was around he acted basically exactly how I would have predicted he would based on what we've seen of him so far.

Don't worry there is still a bigger example of how he interacts with his minions.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:

The "sister" demon did said that Rui was Muzan favorite, not strongest but his favorite. We clearly see how difference he treat Rui compare to how he treat other demon we were showed( allow Rui to have his own followers).spoiler[Muzan have a soft spot for humans that are "similar" to him]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
A few missteps this episode (the usual trope of characters stating their entire 1-d character summarized in a weird one-liner..), but mostly it was quite compelling and beautiful. We've been set up for a treasure of a next episode.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:12 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
A few missteps this episode (the usual trope of characters stating their entire 1-d character summarized in a weird one-liner..),
Given how many new characters are coming at us this episode, I'm inclined to be forgiving. The only one who bothered me with their antics was the pink haired girl.

Other than that I hate the characters I'm supposed to hate, and the episode as a whole passed by quickly enough that I was surprised when the stinger suddenly appeared halfway through, which is always a good sign. Solid cliffhanger ending, and I'm looking forward to next week.
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
A few missteps this episode (the usual trope of characters stating their entire 1-d character summarized in a weird one-liner..),
Given how many new characters are coming at us this episode, I'm inclined to be forgiving. The only one who bothered me with their antics was the pink haired girl.

Other than that I hate the characters I'm supposed to hate, and the episode as a whole passed by quickly enough that I was surprised when the stinger suddenly appeared halfway through, which is always a good sign. Solid cliffhanger ending, and I'm looking forward to next week.

You will probably have to wait until season 3 to know what is up with Mitsuri (Pink Hair Girl) antics. This episode was 2 and a half chapters, so get ready for some Zenitsu screaming next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 20