• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Brett Weaver Responds to Mignogna, Mari Iijima Photos

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Vic cultists are especially desperate today with the Funimation outtake leaks, equating some jokes in poor taste with Mignogna's sexual assault of coworkers. This is because his defamation lawsuit is floundering. It's pathetic.

Brett Weaver seems to have in fact had to help Iijima out with a Vic problem. Big shock that Vic cultists' "investigations" are just nonsense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Vic cultists are especially desperate today with the Funimation outtake leaks, equating some jokes in poor taste with Mignogna's sexual assault of coworkers. This is because his defamation lawsuit is floundering. It's pathetic.

Brett Weaver seems to have in fact had to help Iijima out with a Vic problem. Big shock that Vic cultists' "investigations" are just nonsense.

Ya, I'm actually highly surprised at some people being outraged over outtakes, like this is some new sort of thing and plenty of people have pointed to worse outtakes in VA then what was leaked.

Made a lot of sense when I realized it was just the IStandWithVic defenders trying to ruin Funimation and make VA loose there jobs.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine why Vic apologists think smearing his former bosses and co-workers with the filmiest of arguments is a great way to get his old job back.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I can't imagine why Vic apologists think smearing his former bosses and co-workers with the filmiest of arguments is a great way to get his old job back.

At this point I assume it's less about getting Vic's job back and more about trying to make everyone else lose theirs.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Why are people getting labeled cultists? Because they share a different opinion? The Vic issue is not Black and White.. both sides have some issues. I am still waiting to see what the courts decide.. I don't give credo to the courts of ANN.

Putting that aside.. If this is true.. and not "Fake News" (I love that term) then this should have been addressed back in 2007 which reading this article sounds like it was. It does show a pattern but as Brett Weaver (who is that?) mentioned it was 12 years ago and long out of recent memory.

Other questions of merit.. so Con staff was aware of this? Was there any post con follow up?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

At this point I assume it's less about getting Vic's job back and more about trying to make everyone else lose theirs.
I hope people realize that trying to cause the collapse of Funimation over one voice actor would be a major blow to the availability of anime in the West.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Sure is a lot of cognitive dissonance in this thread. I’m not even #standwithvic, but I’m not going to pretend this doesn’t constitute a major blow against Brett’s story. Going on about how pathetic Vic’s supporters are for making a big deal out of the audio leaks when this article has very little to do with that seems petty.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
Sure is a lot of cognitive dissonance in this thread. I’m not even #standwithvic, but I’m not going to pretend this doesn’t constitute a major blow against Brett’s story. Going on about how pathetic Vic’s supporters are for making a big deal out of the audio leaks when this article has very little to do with that seems petty.

Aint that the truth.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
All this really proves is Weaver didn't remember his confrontation with Vic correctly but the allegations Vic harassed Mari Iijima is still backed up by the con president as far as I'm aware.
Quote:
Jim Gogal, who was the was President of the Board of Tekkoshocon Inc. and Chief Executive Officer in 2010 told ANN that Iijima's room was moved once during the 2010 event. According to Gogal, “She had reported to me that Mignogna had been calling her room and showed up there at one point. She was moved to a different room inside the same hotel. This room was booked under a different name to prevent any future incidents. Iijima was also given extra security afterwards.” Gogal said Iijima remained in her new room for the duration of the event.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Why are people getting labeled cultists? Because they share a different opinion? The Vic issue is not Black and White.. both sides have some issues. I am still waiting to see what the courts decide.. I don't give credo to the courts of ANN.

Putting that aside.. If this is true.. and not "Fake News" (I love that term) then this should have been addressed back in 2007 which reading this article sounds like it was. It does show a pattern but as Brett Weaver (who is that?) mentioned it was 12 years ago and long out of recent memory.

Other questions of merit.. so Con staff was aware of this? Was there any post con follow up?

Quote:
a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
NervClaX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Brett Weaver has hearsay regarding an alleged incident from 12 years ago. Even the alleged "victim" isn't corroborating his story. #IStandWithVic has a photograph showing them together and smiling. Which carries more weight with a jury?

The Funi outtakes are important because they show the working environment within the recording studio. These "outtakes" aren't even mistakes. They're raunchy jokes recorded and kept. It proves Funimation VAs aren't a bunch of prudish saints. If this kind of stuff was tolerated from other VAs, why are they giving Vic flak over jellybeans? It makes his accusers and HR look like hypocrites.

And how about Ron Toye? Am I right?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Vic Mignogna sexually assaulted two coworkers! A bunch of naughty outtakes has nothing to do with that!

Claims about Toye were dismissed, that's a big nothingburger.

Vic apologists are just vile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I call it what it is: it's the anime equivalent of the whole James Gunn thing from a year ago. It was a manufactured fiasco pushed by people arguing in bad faith. Making a bunch of stupid, edgelord jokes is not the same as the accusations Vic is facing. It's irrelevant to the case. It's the same thing with bringing up Monica's husband's ex-wife; it's whataboutism at its most typical. Vic is not going to get his job back just because someone at Funi gets put on the hot seat.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Vic Mignogna sexually assaulted two coworkers! A bunch of naughty outtakes has nothing to do with that!

Speaking of nothingburgers, that’s exactly what the jellybean incident looks like in light of those outtakes. Like another poster said, the recordings show that they weren’t saints when it came to inappropriate humor.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Speaking of nothingburgers, that’s exactly what the jellybean incident looks like in light of those outtakes. Like another poster said, the recordings show that they weren’t saints when it came to inappropriate humor.

penguintruth Said it already, those jokes are purely irrelevant, nothing less, nothing more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4