• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
I've always figured that the Ancient Weapons meant the series had to escalate toward an apocalypse of some kind, and whether it'll be a "good" apocalypse or a bad one will be determined by whoever kicks it off. (Spoilers: It'll be Luffy.)

how can you know that for sure!? he might be the main character, but its no guarantee that he will be the one to do it. and since THIS IS ODA WERE TALKING ABOUT HERE, I can easily see him not allowing luffy to do it, but to instead allow one of his friends to kick off the endgame!!!

my theories that it will either be shiraoshi (to fufill the promise made to joyboy) , that girl from the romance dawn prequel chapter (yes that manga short is indeed canon) or even coby that will instead finish what luffy started when they reach raftel!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why today's episode isn't the real start of Wano, but if it continues to look and sound as great as it did today, this arc is going to be a real treat. The visuals and music were great.

Only worry I have is that spoiler[Wano is still going] (I don't really think that's a spoiler, but just in case...).
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
"t always felt like the best case scenario was for talented animators to do good work in spite of the stiff plastic sheen that's haunted many of Toei's properties in recent years"

It seems that someone hasn't watched any of their properties recently. 2-3 shows with a similar design approach from a few years ago doesn't make "many". And in regards to OP, Kazuya Hisada has been the character designers since episode 385 (on his own 408) and not once did he update the designs so they look like plastic action figures. Unlike with DBS, animators working on OP never complained about the designs having unnecessary highlights. Idiosyncratic animators adding highlights themselves is another story.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The visual revamp looks soooooo good. The various weighted line filter compliments the color palette and more Oda-accurate character designs courtesy of Midori Matsuda. Bringing back Kitadani is leaning heavy on nostalgia, but it works great for Over The Top since it sounds like a traditional OP theme while also harnessing new flair and directing that has never been seen in any other opening.

Quote:
I felt as though the voice actors were talking slower than usual this week, like the anime is trying new ways to pad the story out without it becoming immediately apparent.

It appears that Kappei Yamaguchi and Kazuki Yao might have been speaking slower to copy the way Kabuki actors speak in boisterous, drawn-out monologues.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
It appears that Kappei Yamaguchi and Kazuki Yao might have been speaking slower to copy the way Kabuki actors speak in boisterous, drawn-out monologues.

Yeah, I don't speak Japanese, but I had the impression that Usopp was speaking in a very formal or historical dialect. That was mirrored by Zoro having to remember to intentionally add formal honorifics.

And wow, this looks fantastic in motion. I know Toei usually gets a fresh burst of energy at the start of any big new arc, but with these wholesale changes I really hope this is something more.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
so much for those youtube content creators spreading rumors about coming that girl possibly being ace's daughter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oddly, the anime hasn't addressed his Wano alias yet, but Luffy adapts quickly to his new gig and grabs one of Hitetsu's spare katanas to complete the outfit.

His Wano alias wasn't given to him until later in spoiler[Okobore Town]
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Bat-Man and his infinite arrow supply is the most blatant usage of Hammer Space I've seen in years!
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I can't dislike any episode that has the strongest member of Kaido's crew, Bat-Man.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't even watch One Piece, but I've been wanting to say this for probably over a year now.

Sam - One Piece pacing is bad, it's pretty much always been bad, it just got even worse after the time skip from everything I see people say. I don't really understand the point in bringing it up in every other review when it's literally never going to change. We know how close the anime is to the manga and how it's been that way for god knows how long. Unless they decide to do some long filler arc like with what Naruto and Bleach did, then most episodes are always going to be slow paced. The only other alternative is the studio coming up with anime-original material that fits within the arc and flows well in order to help make the pacing not feel as dragged. Outside of that, I hate to say it, but you're pretty much SOL and that's how it'll most likely always be. Especially now that Oda takes a week off every few chapters unlike in the past.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
I don't even watch One Piece, but I've been wanting to say this for probably over a year now.

Sam - One Piece pacing is bad, it's pretty much always been bad, it just got even worse after the time skip from everything I see people say. I don't really understand the point in bringing it up in every other review when it's literally never going to change. We know how close the anime is to the manga and how it's been that way for god knows how long. Unless they decide to do some long filler arc like with what Naruto and Bleach did, then most episodes are always going to be slow paced. The only other alternative is the studio coming up with anime-original material that fits within the arc and flows well in order to help make the pacing not feel as dragged. Outside of that, I hate to say it, but you're pretty much SOL and that's how it'll most likely always be. Especially now that Oda takes a week off every few chapters unlike in the past.

A truism I've accepted for a long time now is that I'm at the mercy of One Piece just as One Piece is at the mercy of itself.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
BlueBeast33 wrote:

A truism I've accepted for a long time now is that I'm at the mercy of One Piece just as One Piece is at the mercy of itself.

You say that you've accepted it, but you keep bringing up the pacing every week. What's the point of even reviewing the series on a weekly basis, if the majority of your complaints are gonna be about the pacing, every single week. I can understand complaining about the pacing if it's like Reverie, where the the large majority of the episode is flashback/filler, but complaining about episodes like these isn't really fair on Toei, when Oda takes a break every month (meaning the anime has about 12 episodes more than chapters a year), and other stakeholders (Shueisha, Fuji TV, Bandai) don't allow them to take a break or do any siginificant amout of filler due to how much money the franchise makes. We all know it would be much better with better pacing, we all know that, but saying it doesn't mean anything. Try to focus on things that aren't about the pacing, or simply don't review it, cause if you're mainly just complaining about the pacing, you're not really offering anyone anything with your reviews.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Let me say that you're being very rude, AutoOps. Even if we already know about the pacing issues, that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge them when they hamper the enjoyment of an episode in a negative way.
Earlier Wano episodes dealt with this by striking a balance between original scenes that complimented the manga and even improved upon it by filling in gaps in the story.

Thankfully, the dull Bakura Town segment has reached its end and the next segment of this part of the arc will offer more interesting content for the anime team to sink their teeth into.
Animator Takashi Kojima animated the Red Hawk scene, and this is his second time doing this technique. The first time was during the climax of One Piece: 3D2Y.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The Vivre Card books revealed that Jack is actually a pure Fishman, not a hybrid.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:32 am Reply with quote
What did you expect? At least you didn't have to sit through stupid filler. And the arc gets better once they reunite with crew. Just be patient please
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 48