• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mignogna's Civil Case Against Voice Actress Jamie Marchi Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
If the affidavits were falsified, does that mean Chuck Huber's not a sex pest apologist?
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
It's important to remember that as laughably incompetent as Ty Beard is, this whole thing is still on Vic.
He's the one who didn't clean up his act and kept blowing off the rumors surrounding him, he's the one who didn't own up when it finally came crashing down on him and he's the one who decided to listen to culture warriors and hire a hack lawyer.
And now instead of just being fired from Funimation and Rooster Teeth, he's effectively burned all of his bridges, he has to pay Marchi's defense fees (and more than likely Funi and Rial's too) and his reputation is the worst it's ever been outside of the small circle of internet culture warriors who will promptly forget him once the next big outrage they can make clickbait videos about happens.
So yeah I have no sympathy for his legal counsel being terrible.
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't happen to a hansier sex pest. So Judge Chupp has until October 7th to rule on the rest of the suit, and given how quickly he responded to Percy's Labor Day shenanigans, I think it's pretty safe to assume they'll be ruled on before then.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the livetweeting and analyses, it was hilarious watching this fall apart.

A sexual predator suing his victims is one of the biggest perversions of justice I can think of. I'm glad it's all come crashing down on him.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I knew this would be a slam dunk case for Marchi and co., but I was not expecting Beard to have a public meltdown in court; I was nearly in tears from laughing so hard. What I would've given to be a fly on the wall!

Animeking1108 wrote:
ISWV are awfully quiet.

Don't worry -- they're on Twitter claiming Judge Chupp was bribed. Laughing

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
If the affidavits were falsified, does that mean Chuck Huber's not a sex pest apologist?

No, as I understand it, it was notarization fraud rather than him forging affidavits; in other words, Chuck still came forward with his case-destroying testimony. (That, and don't forget the email exchanges he had with Monica.)
DeceptiTom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The court must also issue a fine to the plaintiff that is "sufficient to deter the party who brought the legal action from bringing similar actions..."

I quite expect that Vic will try to recoup his losses through exploring new entrepreneurial avenues. Such efforts will amount to nothing, of course, but the risk of inevitable failure has hardly deterred him in the past.

In a way, I kind of hope he does. By no means am I excusing his behavior, but as a fellow Christian I'm obliged to think that, after a punishment (jail time, firing, fines, etc.), any person should be given a second chance somewhere down the road. It's going to be hard though; everyone will know who he is and what he did, and this current society isn't going to be quite so forgiving. On one hand, it will keep him away from people so that he won't be able to do this kind of stuff ever again; on the other hand, it will completely ruin his chances at a stable career and functioning in a normal society (though not as much as others like Kevin Spacey given his relatively obscure status).

Either way, it's clear he dug an even bigger hole for himself with these cases. Like AiddonValentine said, had he just used this as a time to reflect and stayed away from conventions to avoid temptation, he could have come back better than ever. That's still a possibility (we don't know yet what the #MeToo movement will do to careers later down the road), but now he also comes across as a pouty man-child, and that reputation probably won't fade anytime soon.

This pretty much. When all of this was starting, before the lolsuit but after the fireing, I asked Jamie Marchi on twitter that "if Vic would make strides to better himself and apologize for his past issues, would you welcome him back?" And she said she would be very open to it.

I believed the accusers. They had nothing to gain from it professionally. They opened themselves to a storm of harassment and just terrible people making their lives hell. Not to mention the fact that most if not all of Vic's peers in the anime voice acting world sided with the victims. When 50 people you work with tell you your crap stinks? It stinks.

But I also believed that Vic is Naive. That he did these things but wasnt 100% aware of what he was doing. That he was being too friendly. Kinda like Louis CK. He's no Cosby or Weinstein. I was hoping that he would take the time to go on an apology tour, and own up to his past behavior and salvage his career. His accusers would have been skeptical, but I like redemption and believed there was a chance.

Then he sued. This through any positive thoughts I had about the man under the bus. He chose to sue his accusers instead of take adult responsibility for his actions. From what I understand, he was talked into this by Nick and Ty, which just shows to me that it was a grift. they grifted a man who was beside himself with grief because for the first time in his life he was given the choice to either look at himself and better himself, or burn all the bridges and risk destroying his career completely to avoid responsibility

Anthony.P wrote:
No, as I understand it, it was notarization fraud rather than him forging affidavits; in other words, Chuck still came forward with his case-destroying testimony. (That, and don't forget the email exchanges he had with Monica.)

As for Chuck, I think he was in a rough spot and he tried to be honest at least. I still like his work, and I will avoid thinking negatively of him. He needs to just stay out of things and he'll be alright.
gilgameshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Important to note that the judge does consider Vic as a LPPF; meaning the defamation claim will more than likely fall flat on its face.

Shame the harassment will likely not end for the defendants for like a decade and change...if they're lucky.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

Quote:
In another exchange, a slightly exasperated Chupp said, “Am I not being clear?” Beard responded, “No, your honor, it’s that I’m not listening“ -- to which the judge said, “It would help if you would.”

I was about to quote this same line. What an exchange.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Good. Though I'm sure somehow his legion of followers is going to twist this into either a victory or a government conspiracy.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
It was a pointless venture, I hope the ones who donated to this money pit know better
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Lizuka wrote:
Good. Though I'm sure somehow his legion of followers is going to twist this into either a victory or a government conspiracy.

They're in fact doing both, and it's simultaneously hilarious and sad
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Lizuka wrote:

They're in fact doing both, and it's simultaneously hilarious and sad

I found one guy screaming at Monica Rial...without tagging her. I told him he was basically screaming into the void and he blocked me. Never been blocked after one comment before, I consider it a personal record.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
gilgameshi wrote:
Important to note that the judge does consider Vic as a LPPF; meaning the defamation claim will more than likely fall flat on its face.

It gets better:

Quote:
[Lemoine's] First argument was Vic's public figure status (would affect what Plaintiff needs to show) and he appeared to have several slides prepared.

The judge cut him off abruptly and said "I agree he's a public figure, look at all the people that showed up, normally it's lonely here."

Contrary to what the Vic stans have been saying for months, the issue was so cut and dry the judge didn't even want to waste time on the argument.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
What a shame. He had to turn it into this huge battle. All because he couldn’t go down gracefully. I’m just sad Monica and Jamie had to deal with all this plus continued harassment on Twitter.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for in a month or two when this goon is finally slam dunked for good and I can stop hearing about him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15