• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan Manga Takes 11-Issue Break

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote
I'm pissed that Detective Conan is becoming more like Hunter x Hunter 2.0 and Aoyama is sadly, became Togashi 2.0. DC will never end like Berserk. And that means, MORE FILLERS. Fillers will kill DC anime. Coming soon for One Piece with massive breaks. Sorry for being overdramatic.
Serinox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I'm pissed that Detective Conan is becoming more like Hunter x Hunter 2.0 and Aoyama is sadly, became Togashi 2.0. DC will never end like Berserk. And that means, MORE FILLERS. Fillers will kill DC anime. Coming soon for One Piece with massive breaks. Sorry for being overdramatic.

Yeah, this is just bs. Aoyama is not sick, these breaks are to keep him healthy. And he is working during these "breaks": he has to prepare multiple chapters before the next one can be released, he needs to do the color art works for the upcoming Volume 97 release, he needs to draw the "Aoyama-Poster" for the Movie 24 reveal and also he needs to draw his animation keyframes for the upcoming Movie 24 itself. He usually did these things without any breaks at all, yeah, he did them even in years when there wasn't a single break - but it is not 1999 anymore, and if these breaks are what needed to keep Aoyama healthy while he is still doing all that he wants to do, then I'm fine with that.

It is also unfair towards Togashi, because Togashi is chronically ill. It's not like he really can do anything about that.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Serinox wrote:
It is also unfair towards Togashi, because Togashi is chronically ill. It's not like he really can do anything about that.

I'm sorry for comparing Aoyama to Togashi. I had no idea Togashi is chronically ill. Hopefully, one day he'll be back as a healthy person.
[/quote]
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:54 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Serinox wrote:

I'm sorry for comparing Aoyama to Togashi. I had no idea Togashi is chronically ill. Hopefully, one day he'll be back as a healthy person.

Don't forget that Aoyama is already heading towards his sixties. A few years ago there was a point where his body couldn't handle the harsh conditions of being a mangaka anymore and he was in a hospital for several months. Since then he gets a few weeks off every now and then to give him more time for keeping his health up.

And considering the events in the manga during the last 2 years, I could see him ending Conan whenever he feels like he can't handle the work anymore. It's not like Berserk or HxH, where you still have many character and plot points unresolved.
Sorceresspol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm glad he's taking care of himself. He's worked for a very long time, and my joints shudder at the thought of putting out even a third as many chapters as him.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

Togashi was really tired when Yu Yu Hakusho ended. Toriyama was so exhausted from Dragon Ball that he cannot draw battle manga anymore (comedy was his specialized genre to begin with). Kubo was really sick when he drew the final arc and was hospitalized for it. Oda has to take breaks once every 3-5 weeks just to keep him healthy. We know from Bakuman. that the profession is very rough and tiring.

One of the reasons why Togashi doesn't want to end HxH yet is he wants to end it his way, unlike with YYH when he was told to end it. Some of the older interviews shows that there he was unsatisfied with some of the editorial decisions; and considering that HxH is still running, he seems to have more freedom and control over his work than he had with YYH. I doubt he has complete control over it, since editorial supervision is necessary, but I assume that it's more loose than previously.
tomdean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he seems to have more freedom and control over his work than he had with YYH

He is now much more senior and popular than when he was YYH; as long as he sells, he gets to tell editor what to do
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1