• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotelo_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
The show may not have any heavy thematic content like Fate Zero
cringe
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
This was definitely a setup episode but the visual framing, lighting and what not are striking enough to keep me invested.

This will definitely pick up and I’m going to be in for the ride
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
There is something exciting about having most of the characters you are familiar with from past original episodes converging to this major arc. It helps alleviate getting too bombarded with a lot of characters that will be involved in this mystery. Though out of curiosity, are Flat and Svin also going to get involved in it as well? It's going to feel silly considering they're on the OP sequence, and they don't do much in the grand scheme of things.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
They did a nice job with Heph's design. I kept thinking she looked familiar, but I couldn't place it until the episode revealed her identity. Her outfit is very reminiscent of Alexander's.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Two things I like about the episode is that you could immeadiately tell that Hephaestia was a servant because her costume was ridiculous even by the standards of Lord El-Melloi.

That and as soon as you realize she's a servant you go "Oh crap, oh crap, Waver and Gray are so dead.".

It's akin to the scene in the 08th-MS Team where the protagonists realize in horror that they're fighting an ace-pilot.
natchu96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 am Reply with quote
I feel like the review is missing the point with Waver not recognizing Hephaestion here. It's not understandable at all, it's a big point of confusion. Waver should have seen Hephaestion before, within Iskandar's summoned army during the war, if she is the confidante and general she claims to be. People with far less connection to Iskandar had come forth in that reality marble, after all.

The fact that he doesn't recognize her and that he realizes this as shockingly strange makes me feel like there's another mystery afoot with regards to her identity.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure what to make yet of Hephastion also having Mystic Eyes; they seem too valuable to be just given to a Servant.
Fate/Stay Night's Rider also has Mystic Eyes; specifically, spoiler[the Mystic Eyes of Petrification, given that she's Medusa.]

There's also spoiler[Suzuka Gozen] from Fate/Extra CCC: Fox Tail and spoiler[Miyamoto Musashi] from Fate/Grand Order on the Mystic Eye front, so while uncommon, it's not absurd for a Servant to have Mystic Eyes.
Telu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
If you don't know what murders they are talking about, they refer to those that occurred in Garden of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
Luis Enrique Teheran wrote:
If you don't know what murders they are talking about, they refer to those that occurred in Garden of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai).

The Nasu-verse lore continues to deepen! Do you know which one in particular?
casenumber00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 am Reply with quote
Luis Enrique Teheran wrote:

Not true. Nearly all the franchise of TYPEMOON take place in different parallel universes. Fate and Kara no Kyoukai dont share the same universe even if some of the characters exist in both. With that being said, FGO and FSN are also separate.

About Hep's eyes, those are they are pretty common. This anime hasn't made a few things clear but mystic eyes are pretty common with powerful and influential mages. The eyes you have seen in other works of TYPEMOON are very powerful and exceptional eyes like the Shikis' MEoDP, Medusa's MEoPertrification, and Asagami's (KnK) MEoDistortion. Yes, a lot of powerful mages have mystic eyes, like Enchantment (Arcuied had it and most vampires along with Touko and Alice Kounji from Mahou Tsukai no Yoru), Binding (illiya), Compulsion (Hep), Hypnotic suggestion (Ciel), Flame (Yvette L. Lehrman of Case Files), along with Illusion, Jinx and Contract, but they can pretty much be easily avoided or dispelled by other mage's own power or magic warding amulets.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Finally got caught up on this. I'm pretty much out of the loop with the Fate franchise (I've seen Stay Night, Zero and UBW) and can't keep any of it straight beyond a nebulous picture of a general plotline and a handful of characters. Nevertheless, this has been marvelously entertaining throughout, even though I'm thoroughly lost most of the time. I can't think of another series where I can say that, so it's clearly doing a lot right, even for idiots like me. Smile
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know if there's enough source material out there to adapt another season
It appears that the anime adapted the 4th and 5th volumes of the series with the train arc and the episodes before that arc were anime original. The series looks to have been completed with its 10th volume in May of this year. So I think they should have enough for another season if they wanted.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
Let's make a mystery story out of made up lore! Said no one who knows how to write mystery.
Fate lore, no matter how much of it was there, used to serve the story, here it essentially is the story, while character exploration or anything else meaningful takes back seat. But hijinks and an overload of references (and $$ ofc) is the State of Fate right now.

I'm happy for Waver fans I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4