• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Announcements made at events but the event not mentioned

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
I was pleased to see that T.M.Revolution's announcement about Gundam Seed at the Gundam 40th anniversary concert actually mentioned the concert.

However too many times ANN mentions a press release without mentioning the event where the announcement was made eg the recent Nitro Plus 20th anniversary concert or worse still ignores an announcement of significance in anime (e.g. the See-Saw reunion concert on 15 December 2019 where See-Saw provided many songs for .hack and Gundam Seed [Destiny] (and uncredited in ANN Encyclopedia, Noir)) even when more than one forum member sends information to newsroom(at)animenewsnetwork.com.

Are ANN actually interested in reporting that announcements of interest to anime were made at a specific live event?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
Hi Omiya,

Our staff usually credits the source where we learned of the information.

Very often when industry makes announcements at events, they also send out press releases. If we're not covering the event, but we get the press release, we cover what is in the press release and refer to it as the source.

If we know about the event announcement, we might report on that as well, but it's quite possible that we only know what's in the press release. The press releases aren't always written in a way that states that the announcement was "first" made at an event.

As for announcements that we miss. There are two possible answers to those. The first is that we missed them. We never found out about them. No press release was sent to us, no tip sent, and no one covering the event.

More likely though, we simply didn't have the time to write the story. There's way too much going on in this industry for us to cover everything of note right now. Every day our staff finds 80+ newsworthy stories, but doesn't have the time to write 80+ articles.

I'm working as hard as I can to increase the budget we allocate to newsroom. I'd like to hire two new journalists by year end. Ie: I'd like to add 80 extra man-hours to newsroom by the end of the year. The challenge is 1) Finding the budget and 2) finding the journalists.

-t
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I'm working as hard as I can to increase the budget we allocate to newsroom. I'd like to hire two new journalists by year end. Ie: I'd like to add 80 extra man-hours to newsroom by the end of the year. The challenge is 1) Finding the budget and 2) finding the journalists.

-t

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice if there were a few more contributors fluent in written and spoken Japanese (whch I'm not) who could report first-hand on events in Tokyo beyond Anime Japan and Comiket.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
Question:
What sort of journalistic training does someone need in order to apply for that?

I'd be willing to do whatever training you require and pay for it myself, I'd be willing to work as an unpaid intern or consultant or whatever, to cover these things.
I'm not 100% fluent in Japanese but I'm getting there (taking N2 at the next JLPT exam time).

I just want to get the word out to international fans about the sorts of innovation and creativity going on in live events, stage plays, etc. here.

(I live in Japan and I plan to stay here long-term)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Hi #884745,

Joining our newsroom requires a degree in Journalism, or equivalent experience, and N2 or better Japanese skills.

Joining ANN as an intern requires you to be in your last year of journalism or a recent journalism degree, and N3 or better Japanese skills.

Unfortunately the base journalism skills are not something we can invest in teaching to new hires, they have to be known before joining us. Many people mistakenly think "anyone can be a journalist," and indeed, anyone can call themselves a journalist, but proper understanding of a lot of concepts is actually required to be a good journalist.

-T
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1