• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
"He's a dick" I laughed harder than I probably should have at this. Laughing

If it's any consolation the season will end on an epic high note.
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a shame too; with the season wrapping up in just a few weeks, the last thing Demon Slayer needs to be killing is time.

If anything it needs to waste some time since there is no enough episodes to adapt the next big arc and they have to finish at a good stopping point.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:45 am Reply with quote
The next three episode probably won't be plot focus. It will mainly about character recover and a small training arc. The only major plot point remain probably will be at the last episode as a hook for season 2.
CheerSong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“How much story can you get out of a bunch of flamboyantly dressed weirdos standing in a circle and yelling at each other about murder?”

So glad I'm not the only one who thought this whole watching. What a drag...!
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love this show. That's all I wanted to say.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It may be a sign that I've truly been indoctrinated by Demon Slayer's style of goofiness, but I was honestly happy to hear Zenitsu's inhuman wailing when he showed back up with Inosuke.

I can't say I felt at all the same. Zenitsu's ~10 seconds of wailing was the only thing in this episode I found genuinely insufferable; I stuffed my ears throughout most of it. The road to finding it charming must feel rather like some weird sort of anime-induced PTSD (which I imagine looking like scenes from A Clockwork Orange, with most of the film replaced by Black Cover and Zenitsu/Inosuke audio tracks).

He was quite funny when he stopped the wailing, though. And Inosuke -- in his no-voice, convalescent non-scream-y form -- was an enjoyable element of that scene, too.
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Quote:
It may be a sign that I've truly been indoctrinated by Demon Slayer's style of goofiness, but I was honestly happy to hear Zenitsu's inhuman wailing when he showed back up with Inosuke.

I can't say I felt at all the same. Zenitsu's ~10 seconds of wailing was the only thing in this episode I found genuinely insufferable; I stuffed my ears throughout most of it. The road to finding it charming must feel rather like some weird sort of anime-induced PTSD (which I imagine looking like scenes from A Clockwork Orange, with most of the film replaced by Black Cover and Zenitsu/Inosuke audio tracks).

He was quite funny when he stopped the wailing, though. And Inosuke -- in his no-voice, convalescent non-scream-y form -- was an enjoyable element of that scene, too.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the next 2 episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Right there with ya. I did get a kick out of his spider silk snot and tiny appendages though (but I didn't get why he kept wailing about his arms and legs until Tanjiro noticed them).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
It's very fascinating reading James' episode reviews especially in comparison to the Fire Force reviews in terms of how the supposed female supporting characters are treated respectively. It's really, REALLY easy to point out the poorly use of fanservice on Tamaki and the readers' reactions out of it. But on the other hand, it seems relatively more difficult to point out how much Nezuko is not being utilized in the story in her full potential. I'm not saying one treatment is worse than the other (frankly, I find both of them bad), but it's more sheer disappointment how that ended up being. This is not helped with how much Yaiba is really gaining popularity, and if what ThatMoonGuy said is true, it's even more off-putting.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's very fascinating reading James' episode reviews especially in comparison to the Fire Force reviews in terms of how the supposed female supporting characters are treated respectively. It's really, REALLY easy to point out the poorly use of fanservice on Tamaki and the readers' reactions out of it. But on the other hand, it seems relatively more difficult to point out how much Nezuko is not being utilized in the story in her full potential. I'm not saying one treatment is worse than the other (frankly, I find both of them bad), but it's more sheer disappointment how that ended up being. This is not helped with how much Yaiba is really gaining popularity, and if what ThatMoonGuy said is true, it's even more off-putting.

It not that Nezuko don't develop, it that since she don't talk, her develop mainly focus in her being more able to use her demon power and be more active during the fighting scenes. She is like Tanjirou, both are static in term of personality with little grow, however their present and action influence people around them, changing them for better. If we gonna use metaphor, the sibling is like 2 drops of water that create ripple that affect the status quota of the world.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
I missed the opportunity to comment on this on episode 22 but oh boy, are the hashira a circus or what?. I always had mixed feelings about Demon slayer's sense of aesthetics, on one side the symbolic depiction of the elementally inspired breathing martial arts is gorgeous but on the other most of the character designs are really tacky, but now it just reached new highs with the Hashira, I find it really hard to believe some one ever thought they looked cool. but, you know, I could have just ignore it if it weren't for the fact that once they opened their mouth every single one of them became a single note one trope clown. come on people, I know shonen gotta shonen, but I know for a fact this series can be better written than this
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I missed the opportunity to comment on this on episode 22 but oh boy, are the hashira a circus or what?. I always had mixed feelings about Demon slayer's sense of aesthetics, on one side the symbolic depiction of the elementally inspired breathing martial arts is gorgeous but on the other most of the character designs are really tacky, but now it just reached new highs with the Hashira, I find it really hard to believe some one ever thought they looked cool. but, you know, I could have just ignore it if it weren't for the fact that once they opened their mouth every single one of them became a single note one trope clown. come on people, I know shonen gotta shonen, but I know for a fact this series can be better written than this

All of them get develop more after this part. This basically a rough introduction to them, like when Zenitsu and Inosuke first show up. Each following arcs will focus in 1 or 2 of them. Also their actually character reason for some of those character design, especially the Sound and Love Hashira
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's really, REALLY easy to point out the poorly use of fanservice on Tamaki and the readers' reactions out of it. But on the other hand, it seems relatively more difficult to point out how much Nezuko is not being utilized in the story in her full potential. I'm not saying one treatment is worse than the other (frankly, I find both of them bad), but it's more sheer disappointment how that ended up being.
I would say that Tamaki's treatment is worse than Nezuko's, because the issues around her actively ruin otherwise functioning scenes and take me completely out of the show. Nezuko is wasted potential, but her absence doesn't ruin any particular scene, rather it's felt over the course of several episodes at a time.

That said, use Nezuko more darn it! It's fine even if she's a static character, she doesn't have to have a rich inner life or a complex arc to kick demons in the face real good, and sometimes that's all I ask for from my shonen protagonists.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand all of this discussion about Nezuko being underutilized or underdeveloped or why it's a bad thing (she never really has been more than the motivation device). I mean, I sort of get wanting a particular character to get more screen time, but there comes a point where you have to realize she isn't the main character of this series...I dont know what is going to happen next but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess she is going to remain the main character's motivation and not change that much. I could be wrong, but I really doubt i am given how these stories go.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
Gina: yeah! I had the same reaction on all of that. Ignoring the brief screaming interlude, I thought that scene was genuinely quite funny, which caught me off-guard, because most of Demon Slayer's attempts at comedy come off as pretty mindless and fall pretty flat. But the whole spider-arms gag and scene were pretty well delivered, even though I also didn't get the joke until Tanjiro explained it to me. I guess sometimes a joke is still funny even after it's explained, after all? Razz

ZiharkXVI: I think Nezuko being underutilized is bad because Demon Slayer is at its best when it is emphasizing & exploring the connection between Tanjiro, his sister, and their struggle to overcome her demon-ness through the power of shounen & family and what not; she's certainly not the main character, but she is as central to the show's best thematic tension as Tanjiro, and that artistic thread suffers when she's not developed at all. Mm, and also I think that the two secondary characters that have largely displaced Nezuko -- Inosuke and Zenitsu -- are, so far, not very interesting, and are often written in a way that is downright grating (as I've made rather a point of whinging about above Very Happy); as a result, Nezuko's reduced screen-time is all the more noticeable. (Although, I do think that Inosuke's recent discovery that self-doubt is a thing seems like a positive foundation for some reasonable character work.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 20