• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 Royal Game's Opening Movie Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
It's not, like, technically bad animation, but... is it just me, or is the animation really wonky? Can't tell if it's fps or general flow or what...
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
It's a very similar style to the opening of the original game. That being said, while there are some interesting sequences in this, neither the song nor the opening as a whole do anything for me. The original opening was much better.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, this was really cool to wake up to. I really enjoyed watching this, especially since every Phantom Thief is represented equally in this opening. Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There is still great, but I was always bugged about how minimally Futaba, Makoto, and Haru were featured, plus no mention of spoiler[Akechi, who was hinted at being an important character in the early trailers].

I think the snappy transitions were supposed to mimic a comic book, which I thought was a fun idea that fits considering the slick menu transitions. Plus, I also have a huge affinity for Persona characters behaving like actual teens, so seeing them smashing a Lego-like structure of Tokyo that erupts into rainbow- colored jewels was a real treat.

Man, I'm gonna be avoiding spoilers like the plague when October 31st rolls up. Spring 2020 needs to get here soon!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know who actually worked on this op or what studio did it cause I keep hearing A1/Cloverworks but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

As for the op itself while I don't think it's anywhere close in the same leauge as wake up get up in either music or visuals it is pretty fun in it's own right and even makes me forget for a bit how much I loathe Akechi. Anything that can do that deserves props in my book.

Why did the show that shot of the giant girls walking through town twice though?
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Intro has some neat ideas, but yeah I'm going to have to go with the original over this one. Still very cool though, but the animation could definitely have been a bit more fluid in certain scenes.

RenRen94 wrote:
but I was always bugged about how minimally Futaba, Makoto, and Haru were featured, plus no mention of spoiler[Akechi, who was hinted at being an important character in the early trailers].

They minimized those characters for the obvious reason to not spoil much about them so that you could discover them through the game. It's similar to the previous ones where they'll put a bigger emphasis on the starting crew, but just hint at the rest of the cast.

Of course the re-releases just assume that people who've already played the game will be the target audience, so the new intros then feel free to show off more of the cast, while still hinting at stuff like the new girl, and probably an expanded role for Akechi.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Persona sucks now.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the intro's fantastic, but really not a fan of how much everything in this game seems to be pushing Akechi. Really just can't stand the character.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Wow. Persona sucks now.

Really, the entire franchise just sucks now cause of 1 opening? You serious?
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
anddo wrote:
Wow. Persona sucks now.

Even if you don't like the games or the anime, the live shows are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1fg0C7cDo
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
anddo wrote:
Wow. Persona sucks now.

nah
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1