• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Colonel Sanders is a Real Snack in Finger Lickin' Dating Sim

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
I'm going to have to pass on this too, but not because I'm sick of the ironic dating sim trend. No, it's because Col. Harland Sanders was a real person who only died 39 years ago. KFC already went too far when they resurrected him as a "character" for their commercials, but this? This is just pissing on the man's grave.

I feel this, I truly do, but from a different angle. I met the Colonel in 1970 when he came to the opening of a new franchise in my old home town...a sweet old man, but not what I'd call the dating sim type. Embarassed
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
While I agree with your sentiments, life goes on and things change (sometimes not for the better). Unfortunately, Mr. Sanders had to have signed away his rights over use of his likeness and name, etc. so this was bound to happen sooner or later. Good that they waited until he was long gone at least but I had the laugh of my life in 2002 Beijing just off Tienanmen Square when I saw "Fu Manchu Colonel" on a KFC-China sign.

The Yum! and Wendy's Corp marketing teams are having a ball with their "war" which is wildly successful for both so you could blame Wendy's for this. Issues of legacy impact aside, I found this and the "drug dealer dirtbag" (Markiplier look-alike/tie-in ??) Colonel hilarious! Hatoful Boyfriend paved the way for jokes to be realized in dating sims so blame them too but I guess RPG Maker and other software make this sort of game so easy to make it's lifted the barrier for anyone with an artist (or with artistic ability).
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Hard pass. Gotta agree with this tweet: https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1171485280542457857
Quote:
the 'ironic dating sim' trend is just another example of beating on/mocking the genres most popular with people other than the stereotypical game consumer from the exact same people who constantly bloviate about games needing to cater to more than that

There is a bit of mockery to it but this free dating sim game will bring a lot of attention to what is a very niche market in the western world. A lot of people that have never heard of dating sim games will find out that they exist and some of them will look around on Steam and buy a few games. The increased awareness is good news regardless of the quality of the game.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Well you got me, now I crave for a bit of fried chicken
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
I'm going to have to pass on this too, but not because I'm sick of the ironic dating sim trend. No, it's because Col. Harland Sanders was a real person who only died 39 years ago. KFC already went too far when they resurrected him as a "character" for their commercials, but this? This is just pissing on the man's grave.

I'm old enough to remember when his likeness was featured on the food cartons long before they started having various actors & Reba McIntyre dressing up as him don't know why that in particular gets you upset.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:

I think you may be overreacting just a tad here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2