• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Blade of the Immortal Anime's 2nd Promo Reveals Kiyoharu's Opening Song, October 10 Global

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 am Reply with quote
Strange that is the first real trailer for a show thats out in *now* less than a month.

Regardless, I'm keen as.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:14 am Reply with quote
So excited!

I just hope the animation doesn't deteriorate.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:34 am Reply with quote
Whoa this looks GORGEOUS Shocked Huge Shigurui vibes here (not that I'm complaining). Can't wait!
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 am Reply with quote
So this is first Amazon-original anime, right? The others were just licensed from distributors.
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
So this is first Amazon-original anime, right? The others were just licensed from distributors.

Nope. They made Crayon Shinchan original net series in the past. Probably there's more original anime but none of them is intended for international anime fans.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

This is licensed from Pony Canyon. Their logo is the first thing you see in the trailer.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am Reply with quote
Holy shit. This looks [expletive] awesome!
EiMs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

This is licensed from Pony Canyon. Their logo is the first thing you see in the trailer.

It is common thing a lot of amazon originals are licensed like that. They putting money to the company witch do work for them. First thing which came to my mind is Good Omens from BBC.So in this case Amazon who is putting most money to this project just not directly.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
EiMs wrote:
configspace wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

It is common thing a lot of amazon originals are licensed like that. They putting money to the company witch do work for them. First thing which came to my mind is Good Omens from BBC.So in this case Amazon who is putting most money to this project just not directly.

We will know later when we see the staff credits which ANN will list in its encyclopedia. If Amazon is listed as one of the production companies, then that's confirmation, otherwise it's just another exclusive streaming license. The article also lists LIDEN FILMS as the studio and it might be that they are co-producing as well. If it's anything like other past Amazon streaming deals with Pony Canyon however, then we won't see Amazon's logo or credit on the Japanese blurays, and only Pony Canyon's.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
Ok, this looks much better than I expected, and even Kenjiro Tsuda as Manji isn't grating on me. Hopefully they'll be able to keep this quality going with that Amazon money.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
The animation sure does look amazing. I will definitely be watching this as soon as it's out. I still have my old dvd's from the original tv series and all of the original manga releases.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot that this remake was going to premiere in Fall. The staff seems interesting, cast is solid, and that promo looks very cool. Looking forward to this one.
Predictabo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Everything about this is looking good...except the lack of a manji symbol on his back. The old 2008 anime had it and the official manga releases have it (in NA and JP, not Germany) so it's pretty disappointing.

Yes, I know people often get confused about the manji symbol and in today's world especially there is a lot of sensitivity about it. However, if some genocidal hate group used an upside down cross to commit atrocities would we ban depictions of a normal cross? That's what's happening with the manji symbol here. The orientation and rotation is entirely different.

I can't believe people want to erase thousands of years of culture and history because a symbol looks "similar" when they'd absolutely make the differentiation between a regular cross and upside down cross.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
#892054 wrote:
Everything about this is looking good...except the lack of a manji symbol on his back. The old 2008 anime had it and the official manga releases have it (in NA and JP, not Germany) so it's pretty disappointing.

Yes, I know people often get confused about the manji symbol and in today's world especially there is a lot of sensitivity about it. However, if some genocidal hate group used an upside down cross to commit atrocities would we ban depictions of a normal cross? That's what's happening with the manji symbol here. The orientation and rotation is entirely different.

I can't believe people want to erase thousands of years of culture and history because a symbol looks "similar" when they'd absolutely make the differentiation between a regular cross and upside down cross.

Truly the price of this being an Amazon exclusive now in the ever more connected world and more global market of anime (even more so than 2008). People will see it and get on Twitter and shout from the heavens that Amazon is promoting Nazism rather than take 10 minutes to read what the Manji symbol actually means. Truly sad times we live in.
Predictabo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
#892054 wrote:

Truly the price of this being an Amazon exclusive now in the ever more connected world and more global market of anime (even more so than 2008). People will see it and get on Twitter and shout from the heavens that Amazon is promoting Nazism rather than take 10 minutes to read what the Manji symbol actually means. Truly sad times we live in.

They don't even need to put the burden of learning on people. They could have prefaced every episode with a warning explaining what the symbol was and wasn't. I'd of taken that minor inconvenience over a total redesign because I do feel it harms the design. It won't ruin my enjoyment of what looks to be a good adaptation but yeesh.

Also worth noting that by prefacing every episode with this explanation Amazon had an opportunity to use their platform to educate the world about what the manji symbol is and how it's different so that these misunderstandings stop happening. I certainly don't like the global push to ban the symbol on maps, tourist guides and in entertainment when it's not even the symbol people should be offended by.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2