• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Given

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:06 am Reply with quote
This show is my fave this season, closely followed by Astra Lost in Space. There were times when I though Astra might inch past Given, but episode 9 has firmly cemented it as my top show this season, and is a prime contender for my Top 5 this year.

While reading the lyrics while Mafuyu sang, all I could think of was, "Wow, this must be so cathartic for him. I hope he can start to heal and find some sense of closure." He was finally able to express his love and longing for Yuki in a meaningful way for them both. I got misty eyed.

And then the montage of his life with Yuki started and I was overwhelmed with so many powerful emotions. I haven't been this emotional over a piece of music since "Red" from Banana Fish (I still tear up at that song).

Like many others have said previously, thanks a million Steve for reviewing this wonderful series. I will be buying the manga when it becomes available in English, and hoping it receives a season 2. This show definitely deserves it.
SourOkapi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
I loved this episode so much. Tried my hardest not to cry but it had me freaking out like a teenage girl
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
So...do you think he was just pouring his heart out on the fly there, or had he written the lyrics beforehand and just wasn't sure he was able to share them until the moment came to sink or swim?

Anyway, five stars for the episode, and five stars for the excellent review.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So...do you think he was just pouring his heart out on the fly there, or had he written the lyrics beforehand and just wasn't sure he was able to share them until the moment came to sink or swim?

I think it’s the former. I think that Mafuyu already had all of those thoughts swirling around in his head, but couldn’t actually put them into words/didn’t know how to until Ritsuka said he understood not being able to express himself well either. And then once he got on stage and the music started, he just sort of exploded.

It’s also hinted at in the anime (and throughout the manga) that he’s probably something of a musical genius, so maybe that had something to do with it too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Well there's a difference between being a musical genius and a lyrical one. If he just let fly, it's a good thing they recorded it, because I don't think he'd remember what he sang for a repeat performance. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
So Wonderwall is going to be followed by Song 2? Someone sure knows their Britpop (rivalries). Very Happy

Anyway, another great episode. I've become so attached to literally all of these characters, i don't want to say goodbye so soon. And Mafuyu's smile is to die for, poor Ritsuka doesn't stand a chance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
his homeward bound love interest.

?

Did anyone else cringe when Haruki slid his laptop across the barbecue coals? Shocked

Best moment was Ritsuka caressing Mafu's cheek and Mafu snuggling into it. Plus the dog waiting to be petted too. Smile

I wonder what Ugetsu is plotting. Sure sounded like 2nd season drama... He's probably not a bad guy (no doubt he's an axe murderer, given my track record), but he seems like the snake in this little garden.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
This episode was just as cute as I'd hoped it would be. Ritsuka and Haruki continue to be disasters, but they're just so adorable about it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
his homeward bound love interest.

?

LOL okay this took me a minute to figure out, since I haven't seen the episode and didn't quite have context for what I was editing. The original word there was "homebound", which isn't a word. I changed it to "homeward bound", because I assumed that was what Steve meant, but he meant "bedridden," which has entirely different connotations. Now it's fixed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:41 am Reply with quote
Dictionary.com thinks homebound is a word, but it has both the meaning of going home and confined to home. Smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Dictionary.com thinks homebound is a word, but it has both the meaning of going home and confined to home. Smile

Ah, I see. Spellcheck didn't think it was a word, and I had never heard it used before. Mistakes were made.
MF65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I have been following the weekly reviews for Given, but I haven't commented yet. I just want to join everyone in thanking Steve for the excellent job he did with this show. It's was truly gratifying to read your thoughtful and wonderful reviews week after week. Thank you!

Given is, in my opinion, up there with Doukyuusei as the best BL adaptations so far and I really do hope we can get more of these kind of stories in the future.
Cheers for the upcoming 2020 movie!
sweejen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I want to join the chorus of people grateful to Steve for his perceptive, lyrical commentary on Given. I couldn't help reading each week's review several times--thank you!
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Given excelled both as a heartfelt BL story and as an uncommonly sensitive adaptation in tune with the narrative's careful pace. It wasn't on my radar at the start of the year, but I will absolutely remember it as one of 2019's finest anime. I wish these wonderful boys the best.

This sums up my feelings about this show rather perfectly. Thanks for the thoughtful reviews, Steve! They were a delight to read.

Very much looking forward to the movie now!
Jefcat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to say thanks to Steve for his thoughtful and engaging analysis of Given throughout its run. As Steve said, the show wasn’t really even on my radar but it’s been consistently well executed and enjoyable. Easily my favorite show of the year so far and probably a show that will stay in memory for a long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5