• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
thezentris wrote:
If you're lowering your expectations hopefully we'll stop reading about how crap every episode is.

Honestly, 7 Deadly Sins did this exact same thing and ended up being fine. Read the manga if you don't want to believe it gets better. Feels like you can bypass Tamaki's lechery stupidity by skimming through those panels and seeing what's actually going on.

Honestly, that's why I dropped SDS as well; the disgusting way Elizabeth was used for fan service and the way NONE of Meliodas' actions were reprimanded turned a fascinating premise and fun story into unwatchable drek for me.

How is it that there exists so little fan service where the female character(s) actually enjoys it? Like, is that so hard to accomplish?

If you don't agree with one person's review of a thing you like, that's fine! You can read other reviews and find ones that better align with your personal views.

Last edited by Ashen Phoenix on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't understand how someone could defend the fanservice in episode 9. It was so horribly timed. We're deep in an intense fight with a guy who's just brutally beat his comrade to near death and, oh yeah, is SLAUGHTERING CHILDREN! Then in the middle of this somber, emotional battle; LAWL BOOBIES!!!! It completely vaporizes the scene's tension in the worst way possible.

There is a time and place for fanservice, mainly in the downtime between the big battles. This was not good placing.

I'm pretty tired of the accidental grope trope. And least have her enjoy it or something.
LuffyTDS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I honestly can't understand how someone could defend the fanservice in episode 9. It was so horribly timed. We're deep in an intense fight with a guy who's just brutally beat his comrade to near death and, oh yeah, is SLAUGHTERING CHILDREN! Then in the middle of this somber, emotional battle; LAWL BOOBIES!!!! It completely vaporizes the scene's tension in the worst way possible.

There is a time and place for fanservice, mainly in the downtime between the big battles. This was not good placing.

I'm pretty tired of the accidental grope trope. And least have her enjoy it or something.

Not only that, but one of the weirdest parts to me is that Rekka brutally beating Tamaki is supposed to be serious and emotional. And then the very same Rekka, in the midst of the very same emotional crisis, burns off all her clothes. This is apparently not serious and is apparently a joke?
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
But that doesn't mean you can't like trash. I mean, that's why people love Symphogear,
Woah, there's no need to call me out so personally like that...

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I cant believe in this day and age, in an site aimed at "otaku" fans people are complaining about a fan service character.

Wow. There is so much to unpack in this comment I'm just gonna stick with this part.

<snip>

I dropped the series after episode 4 and following these reviews now to see if I should bother going back.
That was a very good comment that I wholeheartedly agree with, though I'm probably stopping here at ep 9 and checking in later to see if the show gets better. I have a feeling that it will, or at least that the bad stuff might hopefully toned down, because despite how much I hate how Tamaki's character has been treated, I have to admit I'm a sucker for her fire-tail motif and really want her to be cool.

I don't have any issue with people who like this show. But as it is currently, I sure don't like the show itself.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
What I'm mainly gathering here is that I should be very grateful for how BONES handled Soul Eater, because if these are the author's true proclivities, then they were wisely almost entirely excised in that case. Sure, there was Blair, but she was a grown woman who owned her own sexuality, which is far less troublesome compared to this.

And for those saying things like, "Well it's just a show for teenage boys, who cares?", you're aware that almost half of Jump's readership is female, and that it's enjoyed by many people far older than that, right? Alienating huge chunks of your potential audience because your brain is still stuck in middle school is an incredibly stupid move for an author. As many have said, the series has a cool basic premise and really stylish visuals, but inserting these tasteless moments at the worst possible times actively destroys any attempt to take it seriously.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
What I'm mainly gathering here is that I should be very grateful for how BONES handled Soul Eater, because if these are the author's true proclivities, then they were wisely almost entirely excised in that case.

Thank you for saying this. People kept bringing up all the fan service in Soul Eater, and I kept sitting here thinking, "What fan service?" I mean, I remember some scantily clad women and boobs, but nothing even remotely close to what's been going on with Tamaki. So I thought I must just have repressed my memories of it. Very Happy
Cave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I was interested in reading this review because of the pullout quote on the front page

Quote:
"It's hard to say what exactly Fire Force is trying to do at this point, and the reliable beauty of its boarding and direction is beginning to chafe under the story's rushed writing and irritatingly juvenile sensibilities."

I thought "Oh hey, I'm interested in reading more about how the writing is rushed and juvenile" since it's something that I've been noticing in the anime as well and wanted to read more in depth about it.

Instead what do I read? Three full paragraphs (literally half, even more if you don't count the ending conclusion paragraph) of the reviewer whining about how a female character isn't living up to their arbitrary standards of how a female character is SUPPOSED to be. How DARE she not be this super strong woman. How DARE she be a damsel in distress. How DARE she be weak when the guy she respected suddenly turns traitor and literally beats her up so much that she can barely move. How DARE she not have the typical shounen "I got beat up and now I've suddenly become stronger trope"! How DARE she be shown sexy. How DARE she not live up to MY expectations.

Just stupid. And this is why I don't like to read ANN reviews. smfh This is the kind of thing that is actually really sexist. You think it's sexist because a female character is shown as weak and has her clothes torn off? NO. This article is sexist because it's saying how a female character is supposed to be. That a female character is not allowed to be weak or sexy.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
Cave wrote:
Just stupid. And this is why I don't like to read ANN reviews. smfh This is the kind of thing that is actually really sexist. You think it's sexist because a female character is shown as weak and has her clothes torn off? NO.
Yeah, if you think about it, NOT being objectified for humiliation and tawdry sexual appeal is the REAL sexism.

It reminds me of just the other day, when I was walking down the street and feeling really down about some stuff going wrong in my life, and then I bumped into someone and their hand went down my pants, then I fell on top of them with my but as my clothes got ripped off by a passing whirlwind. All thanks to that damn Lucky Lecher Lure, which is a thing that totally happens to me as it does many other relatable human beings in reality, which is why it's so important to get that kind of even-handed representation in this cartoon about fire-fighters who start fires with magic.

Look, I don't mind if people aren't bothered by what I and others see as transparent sexism in this show. You are free to have your own taste. I completely agree with others that it isn't done out of malice, just immaturity and pandering. But what you are saying is obviously ridiculous. The show, as the reviews have noted, is not even a whole season in and the clothes-burned-off thing has happened TWICE, damsels have been made of women twice or thrice, and contrived fanservice is everywhere. And, lo and behold, this all happens exclusively to the female characters. Suggesting that anyone who points out that obvious imbalance in character portrayals is THE REAL SEXIST is so defensive that I can't even take it seriously.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
Well kiddies, Ep10 is here and Tamaki is sexier than ever! Steady decline of clothes for can only mean we'll see her nude before the show ends.Evil or Very Mad And Princess is making bentos for her husbando now. And we are reminded that there are five weird Fire Stations with mysterious agenda left to explore. And maybe the Church and Big Industry have an unholy alliance, possibly fueling their power station with people (??). Add Joker and the Muslim Fire Brotherhood (or whatever they are) and it really seems like the trunk of the plot is getting obscured by all these branches.
Netero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:23 am Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure why Emperor Raffles III should be a "most delightfully stupid name" when it has a regional connection through Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of colonial Singapore. Perhaps in this world his descendants also rule Tokyo.
LuffyTDS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
Just to clarify, Shinmon does use traditional Japanese naming conventions while the others don't.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
LuffyTDS wrote:
Just to clarify, Shinmon does use traditional Japanese naming conventions while the others don't.

Ah yes, I rewatched the scene and definitely goofed on that- thank you. I'll be sure to make a note of that the next time Benimaru pops up.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I really hated how she was treated in episode 9, that said if we can keep the fan service to not explicit and occasionally an actual joke (naked apron HOW!?!) I think I can actually deal with it and enjoy the show for the rest of the content in this show.

I REALLY loved the second half of this episode and even enjoyed the first half of it quite a bit. I am actually surprised with how well it handled everyone wanting to find out if shinra was actually ok. it also made me give the second in command a ton of credit. It also made me realize how rare it is in a lot of shows to actually have people dancing around to see if someone is emotionally ok or not?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm expecting something like this to be the next stage of Tamaki's fan service.

I'm not sure what the point of the Big Meeting was. Why did Shinmon even bother to show up if he was going to leave before it started? Did they cover anything all these people didn't already know? Shinra was the only person who didn't know about Adollo Burst and that Shinra has it, so why was it necessary to drag them all there to tell him about it? It all just came across as a pathetic excuse for an infodump that could've been handled otherwise.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I cant believe in this day and age, in an site aimed at "otaku" fans people are complaining about a fan service character.....

And honestly I wouldn't care if people had those opinions if it wasn't for the fact they always ruin everything for everyone else. .

To your first point you're actually being rather ignorant by painting every otaku here with the same brush. You apparently seem to think that we're all the same and have the same thoughts. We don't. TO be an otaku here by your apparent definition we all have to like fanservice. Not everyone here likes the same things. Some like shonen, and some do not. Some like slice of life, and some do not. Some like T&A and fanservice, and some do not. The fact is not everyone here likes the same thing nor do they all go along with your own personal view and opinion on shows. So maybe you should try not painting every fan with same brush simply to justify your own fan rage because the reviewer didn't agree with your opinion on a show.

As to your second point the only one that ruins your enjoyment of a show for you is yourself. Nobody is there in your room heckling you as you watch the show. If you can't simply ignore reviews or opinions you don't agree with and enjoy your show that's your problem and that's on you. Nobody else.

thezentris wrote:
If you're lowering your expectations hopefully we'll stop reading about how crap every episode is.

Or here's a grand idea...just stop reading the reviews. If you don't agree with the review that's fine, but whining and being rude because not everyone has the same opinion as you is not.

Now how about everyone keep in mind that you can disagree with the review all you like, but personal insults and comments towards the reviewer, or fans with differing opinions, will not be tolerated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 17