• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Forever Dreaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly251

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Dreamcast was ahead of its time.

played music cd's.

game discs could be used in PC's toget bonus content (like wallpapers)

VMU's were great feature (still nothing like it in todays consoles).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
... I'm only now learning of a new Steven Universe game, and I have a feeling I won't be playing it unless I finally decide to upgrade my aged iPad mini (it can't go past iOS 9), which is something I really don't have much money or interest in doing (as it is, it's really only used for watching YouTube videos and playing a couple of games).

-sighs- Welp... I guess I'll just have to watch videos on how the series continues, unless by some miracle of miracles Apple Arcade will work with iOS 9 and I'll be able to play it.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

Another way was that the Dreamcast was the start of online console play. But it was still the dialup era, so it came with a modem. People with broadband were almost all those of us in dorms (and what a time to be alive, as the Internet spread - less than 1% of people had home broadband in the US in early 2000, but it would be 15% by the mid 2002 as it spread to ubiquity ), though people who graduated around the time of the Dreamcast went on to demand cable modems or DSL wherever they lived next.

Having to be on dialup prevented online play from really taking off, so it was still mostly couch multiplayer despite the ahead of its time promise with games like Chu Chu Rocket online.

There was a Dreamcast broadband adapter, but it was sold separately and hard to get. The PS2 started out with a modem and with the broadband adapter sold separately too, though by its Slim redesign the Ethernet jack was built in. By the next generation online play was a key feature, and everyone had broadband. The Dreamcast was a little too early, with something that didn't quite work, but we saw where the future was going.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
My parents didn't allow me to have a home video game console until I was in high school, so even though I grew up playing NES/SNES/Genesis at friends' houses, the Dreamcast was the first one I actually owned. I chose the Dreamcast over the N64 or Playstation because I wanted to play three specific games: Virtual On, Soul Calibur and Jet Grind Radio.

I will always closely associate the Dreamcast with anime, due in no small part to the "DreamMovie": a third-party product that paired an infrared remote control peripheral with a boot disk that allowed you to watch VCDs. I was still buying anime on VHS back then, and VCDs seemed like such an improvement in video quality! I've since replaced most of them with DVDs and Blurays, but I still have my Escaflowne VCDs (and the custom cases I made for them out of cut-up Escaflowne the Movie ads from old Newtype magazines) prominently displayed on my shelf.

I stuck with the Dreamcast until the very end, even managing to snag a PAL copy of Shenmue 2, before finally jumping ship over to the GameCube. Years later, I noticed that eBay was flooded with underpriced Dreamcast games, and as a result my collection grew to include over 60 titles. Sadly, the days when I could stay up until 3 AM to bid on imported 2D fighters are long behind me, so I think my Dreamcast library is pretty much as good as it's ever going to get. Laughing

Anyway, thanks for featuring the Dreamcast!

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or is TGS scaled way down this year? For one it's lacking in mini concerts and second, there isn't much new to show which could explain a little about why this year was so lacking (most of the console content was ports and upcoming games the stuff that was new were mobile/browser titles).
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I bought my Dreamcast (complete with cables, one controller, and a VMU) for $8 at a thrift store about 8 years ago and I'm still excited about it.

When I was in high school during the Dreamcast's short lifespan, the finals for each class at the end of the semester were two to three hours long and you did two of them each day. I was in band, and our final was a performed conference at a separate venue the week before. The band directors let us use the designated period for a band class final during the school day that week as study hall or free time or whatever in the huge room. So, we played Soul Caliber on DC the whole time and it was fantastic. It became a tradition, once in the fall, and once in the spring, and new systems came along so we had multiple systems hooked up by my senior year (limited to how many TVs we could find). Although PS2 and N64 and others also showed up, it all started with a single Dreamcast. It was nice to actually look forward to a final that week.
se37

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I had owned a Sega Saturn before and with how bad Sega was at supporting that I didn't want to own another console from Sega until I walked into my local Best Buy and saw a Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure. I tired it out and really fell in love with it. I asked my parents to get it for me for Christmas that year and I remember the ads on TV with "It's Thinking...". I knew they were getting me the Dreamcast and on 9.9.99 it came to the house. I gave it to my parents since I know they got it for me for Christmas and they handed it back to me with "Enjoy". I was so happy and they told me that I had such good grades so far and it was my last year of High School that they let me have it. The only games I had were Sonic Adventure and NFL 2K, since my dad wanted to play it with me, with a VMU and Jump Pack, but I later on brought Soul Caliber at the local K-Mart a few days later.

I wanted Power Stone (as I played it on the demo disc that came with the Dreamcast) but couldn't find it for sale. In fact, I never owned Power Stone, only was able to rent it at Blockbuster. My parents did get me Power Stone 2 (which was luck for me as that game isn't cheap now a days) later on for Christmas. I never really got rid of my Dreamcast and it is my favorite console of all time. So much so that I am working on getting a complete US release of the games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
-Dreamcast: Let's also not forgot how EA tried to starve them by refusing to release games on it. A fine tradition of pettiness they still engage in.

-Nintendo: Ah, Wii Fit but as an RPG. Go for it, considering how much Wii Fit sold.

-FFVII; Zzzzzzzzz

-Yakuza 7: Ah, good to see the spirit of madness lives on. Apparently there's even an equivalent to summoning magic. One move they showed had Ichiban summoning attack lobsters!
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Is it me or is TGS scaled way down this year? For one it's lacking in mini concerts and second, there isn't much new to show which could explain a little about why this year was so lacking (most of the console content was ports and upcoming games the stuff that was new were mobile/browser titles).

PS5 and Scarlett haven't been fully revealed, so third parties probably can't show some of their higher-end projects off. 3DS is also dead at this point, so some developers probably can't pump out games as quickly now that even the weakest dedicated gaming system is HD.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The Dreamcast had so many great games, its crazy how many came out within a short span of 2 years in the U.S. market. MDK2, Grandia 2(apparently the Switch port was botched), Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Power Stone, Rez, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur, on and on. I guess the only games it didn't exactly have much of were Soccer/Football and Golf.

AiddonValentine wrote:
-Dreamcast: Let's also not forgot how EA tried to starve them by refusing to release games on it. A fine tradition of pettiness they still engage in.

I remember some G4 tv show where they interviewed an EA games CEO, he said the Dreamcast wasn't internet ready out of the box. Which was a bold face lie, the thing came with a working modem, and there was a broadband adapter that became available not more than a year after launch.

Also, why does the RingFit thumbnail image look like the guy in the blue shirt is holding a black pair of panties?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
- Dreamcast: I was only 5 years old when the Dreamcast launched in the west, and it was a very expensive console here in lat-am, most people still played the Genesis. But I remember watching TV shows about it, the graphics looked amazing compared to the PSone and the N64, it made want to play Sonic Adventure. It's a shame that SEGA had to leave the hardware business, but I guess no matter how good the Dreamcast was they lost many customers during the 32X and Saturn era, and they could't compete with the PS2 and Nintendo's franchises like Pokémon.
- Ring Fit: I don't think it will be as successful as Wii Fit, but it's nice that Nintendo wants people to excercise Laughing
- FFVIIR: now this is a trailer, the game looks more faithful to the original version with Cloud transforming into a frog, the Wall Market minigames, etc. However, it seems that Square is adding some new elements so maybe "Remake" is not the best way to describe the game, it's more of a "Reimagining." It's a shame that Cid, Cait Sith, Yuffie and Vincent are not going to be playable (unless they appear earlier in some form).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

I remember some G4 tv show where they interviewed an EA games CEO, he said the Dreamcast wasn't internet ready out of the box. Which was a bold face lie, the thing came with a working modem, and there was a broadband adapter that became available not more than a year after launch.

Yeah, they wanted no sports titles other than their own sold on the system and Sega was not keen on that.

And it seems they've kept up the fine tradition of bs considering the laughable response they gave recently to not supporting the Switch despite it still selling like mad. it's utterly amazing what companies will do to not admit fault.
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
I think Yakuza 7 has shot up to my most hyped game now.

I can't wait to play an RPG as a Dragon Quest loving loser, a hostess, an ex-detective and a homeless ex-nurse.

Plus the mechanics seem crazy solid, and the mini games only wilder.

Bring on 2020.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:47 am Reply with quote
Dreamcast: As a child and though born in Europe, i was not very familiar with the Dreamcast until now, Dreamcast had a very short lifespan and it had a large and very good catalogs at the before it was discontinued after they failed to compete with PS2 when it was more advanced and more DVD was being used in this game. I never actually owned one at all, as i only owned PS1 and PS2 at the time. In PAL, we are planning to celebrate the Dreamcast that will be turning it in 20 when it came out in October 14 in the same year. Dreamcast was known for its amazing quality games like Sonic Adventures, Crazy Taxi and Shenmue (i have a PC version of the game, but i won't be playing it until further notice), and reviews considered it Dreamcast for its amazing and innovative games. While it is still discontinued in 2001, new games continued to be produced until 2007, with the last game to that of being Karous.

Apple Arcade: It looks like the new model is trying to revive its arcade works back in the 2010s after the decline Arcade game that damaged its reputation in 1983 video game Crash, i feel like this is going to be really good step and more deal to add the new title.

Nintendo: This is really good, i am not sure how i can practice this kind of game when it comes to going physical exercise.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: The more and the marrier it is, i heard about that CyberConnect2 had a collaboration with Square Enix to develop its game, but Square Enix bash them out. So without assisting them, they went on to develop and self-publish their own CC2 titles like Fugue of the Battlefield and others.

Yazuka: Looking at the screenshot of being a Kart Game, it feels like this is more of the reminiscent of Team Sonic Racing, i wonder if Yakuza leading character could appear in the Sonic game as a crossover is certainly unclear.

(sorry for my poor English)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

And it seems they've kept up the fine tradition of bs considering the laughable response they gave recently to not supporting the Switch despite it still selling like mad. it's utterly amazing what companies will do to not admit fault.

Support it with what? more belated ports that are inferior to what's on other systems?
Plus let's be honest with ourselves even if EA had put games on the Dreamcast that wasn't helping the system.

Firefly251 wrote:

played music cd's.

Unless I'm going senile at 31 Playstation 1 (and presumably the the Sega CD & Saturn) could do this

My Dreamcast Anecdote: Like everyone else I was taken in by the hype surrounding the system and badly wanted one at time. Wasn't able to get one but my uncle got one (which I would later own). And as it was one of early launch systems it didn't have the copy protection that later models would get. Went around burning whatever I could Sonic Adventure 2, MvC 1+2, Power Stone 2, RE Code Veronica, Headhunter, KOF98, Jet Set Radio, WWF Attitude, Shenmue.

Slightly funny story when I downloaded SA2 I got to that part (you know the one) where the audio was out of sync and thought something had gone wrong during the burning process which I think lead to me burning the game again only to find out that nope this was how the game was made. And then there's the fact that I also burned the De La Jet Set Radio version of Jet Set Radio unaware that it was basically the same game as the version that America got.

Got rid of the system when we had to lighten the load at my aunt's house which is somewhat funnier being that I kept my N64 (which I'm still struggling trying to get games like Mario Party 3 and Conker's Bad Fur Day for), and since then bought a modded PS2, & a used Gamecube (which of course I'm struggling to get Path Of Radiance for).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2