• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Studio Trigger Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
It feels a little hasty to add Promare so high considering most of the western world hasn't even had the chance to watch it legally yet, not to mention barely any time has passed to fully process and evaluate it in regards to Trigger's past works. I mean I'll still watch & probably enjoy it, but certain comparisons to Dead Leaves leave me worried that it might be a tad too 'unrestrained Imaishi' for my tastes. We all remember Sex&VIOLENCE with MACHSPEED, right?

Anyway, pushing aside FranXX as not really being a Trigger show (in addition to not being very good), my list would probably be as follows:

Honorary mention: Inferno Cop
5. Space Patrol Luluco
4. SSSS. Gridman
3. Turning Girls
2. Little Witch Academia TV
1. Kill la Kill

Honestly, as long as Turning Girls makes the cut somewhere, no list is a bad list Smile
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I only have a top 2, but I will add tree others. I like the TV version of Little Witch Academia, but it seems like cheating to put it twice.

5. Space Patrol Luluco
4. Sex&VIOLENCE with MACHSPEED (if it counts)
3. Kiznaiver
2. Little Witch Academia (OVA and Film)
1. Kill la Kill

I fear that with titles like Promare and SSS Gridman that Trigger are moving away from their Gainax roots, and becoming less about cool stylised and some times innovative animation, in favour of CG.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Surprising to see Kill la Kill so far down the list.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I think I will agree with the article, though with one exception

5. Inou Battle
4. Kill la Kill
3. SSSS.Gridman
2. Little Witch Academia
1. Promare

While I do like Inferno Cop (and look forward to a new season) and think it ranks highly in most Trigger Trigger Anime, I think the more limited animation style places it out of the top 5 for me.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I fear that with titles like Promare and SSS Gridman that Trigger are moving away from their Gainax roots, and becoming less about cool stylised and some times innovative animation, in favour of CG.

See, I think both show Trigger applying that same cool, stylized, and even innovative approach to CG animation too, especially Promare. I'd say Promare is the most Trigger Trigger anime so far, in every facet, and using CG doesn't change that. Not at all. Both still use plenty of traditional animation as well.

By the way, have you seen the movie yet, or are you just going off the trailers?
PlebianWeeb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
How on earth is there no mention of Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann? It's pretty much iconic.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
PlebianWeeb wrote:
How on earth is there no mention of Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann? It's pretty much iconic.

While it was created by the founders of the studio, Gurren Lagann was made at Gainax.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
By the way, have you seen the movie yet, or are you just going off the trailers?
Trailer and what people who have seen it have said. So yes maybe my opinion on it could change after seeing it. But does it have the art style shifts or exaggerated character using lots of squash and stretch that are prevalent in their work.

Gridman I suppose to be fair had this great scene and a few others.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
1. Little Witch
2. SSSS.Gridman
3. Kiznaiver
4. Space Patrol Luluco
5. Kill La Kill

Call me all the names you want, but given i haven't seen Promare i can't put it on the list and literally everything is better than Inferno Cop in my book. Couldn't stand it and can't see how it's on a top 5 trigger list with the other good stuff they've put out.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Trailer and what people who have seen it have said. So yes maybe my opinion on it could change after seeing it. But does it have the art style shifts or exaggerated character using lots of squash and stretch that are prevalent in their work.

Gridman I suppose to be fair had this great scene and a few others.

It’s been about a month and a half since I saw it, so I’d have watch it again to be sure (which I will later this week). Though you may have seen it by then anyhow.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
5. Kiznaiver

Had a pretty cool OP and the VAs did a good job, but some of the characters are pretty bad and some stories sent me mixed messages.

4. Inferno Cop

If it makes you laugh, it's comedy

3. Luluco

I'm not extremely familiar with all of Trigger's output, but I still liked watching their mascot go through their catalog. Its actual main story I wasn't as much of a fan of

2. Kill la Kill

Besides the animation being extremely fun at most times, the soundtrack really brings this one up. Still listen to it to this day

1. Gridman

My two best characters of last year were from Gridman. Not having any tokusatsu background this was still extremely fun to unravel
SquirrelSurrender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Saw Promare at AX, def their best work. Little Witch is too high on the list. Although the short films were a lot of fun. The actual anime felt incredibly lazy. Anyways here's my list.
5 - Inferno Cop

4 - Kill la Kill

3 - Luluco

2 - Gridman

1 - Promare
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, when I saw the title of the article, my first thought was "wait, TRIGGER has made more than 5 anime??". Turns out, as I went through the list and the comments, that there are a lot! Hmm, let's see...

5. Space Patrol Luluco - Good stuff.

4. Little Witch Academia - Magic has always been my weak point.

3. SSS.Gridman - Is it fair to add it this high up if it`s the only Gridman I've ever seen? Oh well, it was great. Maybe I only enjoyed it because it was TRIGGER in the first place.

2. Kiznaiver - just. Feels.

1. Promare - Saw it in theatres twice (in Japan), and it has the best theme song 'kakusei'. It also has the PVs which I've probably watched the most of any other anime's PV (except Uchiage Hanabi music video, ***maybe****) Anyway, I really love Promare so I'm so happy that many other people feel the same!

AAAhHH I've not seen Kill la Kill OTL I'm not qualified to call myself a TRIGGER fan
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I feel a bit like I am missing so much stuff since I've only watched 2 Trigger shows.
- Kill la Kill: I watched when it first came out, I never really obsesed about it like other people seem to do it arround the time but I really enjoyed it. The highlights of course were the animation, the overall look of the show and the characters of Ryuko, Satsuki, Mako and of course Ragyo. But to be fair, and maybe I'm in the minority, while I enjoyed the ending it always felt to me that it was a bit rushed and a bit anti-climatic.
- Little Witch Academia: I loved the first OVA but the second one not so much. I actually watched the series last year and it was amazing. I always thought that it was a bit weird that the OVA were non-canon, and some of the personalities of the girls changed a bit, but the show was very good for the same reasons as KLK, although this time I enjoyed the ending.
It's difficult to decide which show I like best, since both are incredible, but I guess I'll go with LWA. Maybe one day I'll try to watch some of Trigger other works, although only KLK, LWA and Franxx are legally available where I live (and only the last 2 are dubbed), I hope that Promare will get a release here with a spanish dub.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure about ranking, but Kill la Kill is the show that keeps coming back to me, a staying power of impact that made me love it more after it ended. It is an entire package of wackiness, awesomness, funny, and great music. None of the other have matched what this show did with character songs, distilling their personalities and theme, and how I love the hero and villain ones alike.

Little Witch Academia, I think has my favourite characters in their growth, Akko especially has great positives and negatives to her, and undergoes a change to not just complain about her situation. Matched with Diana, who starts out be perceived as cold and mean, who you might think as an antagonist to Akko, but actually a good complimentary.

I liked Kiznaiver tried to do, really so in how it tried to match more grounded and drama, with craziness and maybe abstract. The OP makes me feel so much emotions, that it honestly still makes my eyes water, just something that feels intimate about it. Not everything worked, but I earnestly think a good portion of the show did work, and I think worked so strongly. Nico has to be a favourite character of Trigger in entirety, and I would say she is a good representation of what did work, something that could be a bit silly and airy, while actually introspective and a good heart.

And no anime I think best represents Trigger, than Space Patrol Luluco, erratic, ridiculous, seemingly random, often playing on just simple gags of the moment. But it is such a love letter to the general creative sensibility that the studio is built on, a love to let yourself be weird, be fascinating to look at, and wear your heart on your sleeve. The very end of the show and its high five is something I just love.

segue into Inferno Cop, it is a super dumb show in a lot of ways, but dang if a lot its ridiculous moments pop into my head often and make me laugh over compared to more higher produced stuff. Like the immune to bullets bit, and recounting it just makes me laugh. Or how someone near me the other day said "FBI", and I just kept repeating it as only an inside joke can be.

I am maybe not as big of a fan of SSSS.Gridman as others, I still really like it, and love its meta narrative. Despite being more simple in animation design, I think it is one of the shows most worth discussion, trying to understand the themes around it, and what exactly the end means, where you can analyse tiny details and subtext to explain it all. Mostly around Akane as the most importantly complex character.

And including Darling in the FranXX, I still like it a lot more than people who say it fell off the rails at the end. Just the other day I was thinking about it, and I keep a love for the relationship between the main characters. I think that I am still using an avatar from the show, a favourite scene. I still love it.

Don't know when I will get the chance to watch this new movie, but I am sure that I will love it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I have only watched 4 Trigger shows (I am not counting Darling in the Franxx), but this is how I rank them:

1. Kill la Kill
2. Little Witch Academia
3. SSSS.Gridman
4. Kiznaiver
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2