• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dr. Stone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Lots of great faces in this episode! Laughing

Quote:
It isn't until the contest is over and Senku gloats over how easily he bested those elementary parlor tricks that he catches himself and the entire tone of the scene changes. He switches from punching down at Chrome's basic skills and turns to admiration for managing to develop them at all in the stone world. It's rare that this type of self-reflection and humility is highlighted rather than simply glorifying the protagonist's overpowered-ness

Yes (though his epiphany actually occurred before the final arithmetic contest), this was really great to see! To be fair, though, Chrome was thinking the exact same thing, when he thought Senku was going to quiver in fear at his awesome sorcery. Smile

Much of this episode reminded me of this xkcd comic:

https://xkcd.com/1053/
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
While i could do without some of the shounen stereotypes, i love that the series isn't taking itself all that seriously (Senku's theories about what caused everyone to turn to stone were pretty hilarious for example) and the "we are going to win this with the power of science!" attitude just warms my old, geeky heart. Very Happy
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
No review for Episode 8?
Dellore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Tsukasa even said he was only going to revive strong people for his empire. I think he was interested in anyone young and "not corrupted" by the system. If somehow he knew Senku and his intelect, he still probably would try to revive him and try to make him renounce his ambitions - and if he failed, it wouldn't be a problem for Tsukasa to kill him anyway.
stefand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, after episode 8 i was thinking, perhaps it would in fact be better, to leave the world as it is and not to revive the old world. The innteresting thing about science to me was always not just the bare facts and how things worked, but how people discovered it (e.g. it is not very interesting, that penicillin is from some mould, but very interesting, how it was discovered). So it seems more interesting, (on the long run) to let people like chrome develop their own science instead just replicating sience by someone who already knows everything.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten Tsukasa was a thing until episode 9.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Tsukasa certainly doesn't seem to be building a granola eco-paradise over in his camp. He may be thinking ends justify means, but it's no longer clear what he wants his ultimate stone-age utopia to look like. Right now it's looking very different from what he was espousing a few episodes ago.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
So... were you planning on actually reviewing episode 10 at some point? Or did you only want to go full "death of the author" on just the final two minutes for the first review I've ever seen on this site that I could fit the entirety of on-screen at once without scrolling... and still have plenty of room to spare?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I like the addition of Kaseki to the cast. Though he learned a bit faster than seems realistic, he's a good example of why Tsukasa shouldn't be going around killing off every old he can find. Expertise is useful and doesn't necessarily lead to evil and destruction.

Given the size of the eyeholes in Suika's mask, I don't think she was actually benefiting from the pinhole effect.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Given the size of the eyeholes in Suika's mask, I don't think she was actually benefiting from the pinhole effect.

Relative to anime eyes, perhaps it works out fine
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Relative to anime eyes, perhaps it works out fine

This is a beautiful rationalization and I absolutely love everything about it. Relative to anime eyes indeed!
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
It may sound off topic but I recently watched episode 12, Ruri mentioned that her and Kohaku's mother is dead. Again as usual, mom always dead and dad always alive on animes and mangas but it's a bit unrealistic. It kinda bothers me that every anime always had dead mom/alive dad cliche and it feels like fathers are relevant and mothers are irrelevant on animes . Why don't this cliche dying?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
^From where I sit, an anime where there are any parents is rare indeed. Do You Love Your Mom has the opposite problem, all moms and seemingly no dads but I haven't seen the situation you describe in general. I actually remember seeing/hearing more anime moms than dads (who are always at the office).

I believe the reason is basic artistic/writer's focus rather than not liking moms or dads. If you are writing a story about the relationship primarily between two characters, it's more work to include parents unless you want to include that dynamic as Clannad did. Since many anime today are about highschoolers in a semi-realistic setting, the compete absence of parents seems a little odd, so whichever parent adds to the relatability is included. Since dads tend to be the authority in the home, they get included where you want the story to include that complication and mom's presence/input is more extraneous so the writer gives himself an excuse not to have her there (she'd dead Jim...).

As for Suika and the pinhole effect, I think what is happening is due to a fungus I have seen attack pumpkins. The fungus erodes the rind and in some cases makes a white lesion exposing the mesh-like rind growth matrix. If the lesion gets deep enough, the hole contains several layers of this matrix and is partially transparent. Looking through that is like looking through a gauze mesh and there would be a lot of "pinholes" one could sight through. Suika does have "freakishly large" eyes LOL...
kameoosama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been loving this show but I keep thinking stuff like "If Kaseki loves glass blowing, wait until you build him an Anvil and teach him smithing." and "can people in this village read and write? If not, at least teaching it to Chrome, Suika, and Kaseki would make Senku's quest a whole lot faster"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
So now that Magma has been dispatched straightaway, it only remains among Kinro, Chrome, Senku and Kohaku to vie for Ruri's hand. Kinro would obviously beat them all (unless Senku has some science cheat in his pouches, as he implied), but I don't think he really wants to marry Ruri. Whereas Chrome really does, so will the others throw the matches or withdraw so he can? I hope so. Smile

Lucky that Suika and Kinro need the same prescription. Wink On that topic, it's kind of unrealistic that either of them would be nearsighted, even moreso that both would (especially at such a young age), since that's pretty much a side effect of reading and other chronically close-up tasks. Myopia is really rare among hunter-gatherers, and has skyrocketed over the last 300 years, alongside the growing prevalence of reading.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5