• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK Launches Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2 Creator Rumiko Takahashi Mega-Poll

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting...in the case of the manga, while I do enjoy most of her series, probably my favorite would be a tossup between Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku (manga sets I have owned for nearly 30 years now). Those books are quite durable!
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I think Maison Ikkoku's her best work, thought I admit I've never read Urusei Yatsura and that was pretty dang influential back in the day.
Ranma 1/2 is good but aspects of it haven't aged well, plus its ending kinda sucks, and as big of an Inuyasha fan as I was back in the day, it's one of those series I find is best left in my memory.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I think Maison Ikkoku's her best work, thought I admit I've never read Urusei Yatsura and that was pretty dang influential back in the day.
Ranma 1/2 is good but aspects of it haven't aged well, plus its ending kinda sucks, and as big of an Inuyasha fan as I was back in the day, it's one of those series I find is best left in my memory.

Agreed, I tried re watching Inuyasha, and it was nowhere near as good as I remember it to be, back when I watched it as a kid. The romance was so dumb.

Maison Ikkoku was definitely my favorite work from her.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
ranma is my favorite then maison ikkoku.. no doubt Japanese will pick Lum over them though. Ranma's japanese voice actors were just very good and kept me entertained even if some episodes were bad. meanwhile, I didn't like the side characters in maison ikkoku not to mention the silly spoiler[misunderstanding that made Mitaka and the dog girl marry.. and I didn't like it when Soichiro's father said that Kyoko was born for the day she married Godai as if his son never mattered.. IMO Kyoko became Kyoko because of Soichiro] .. but yeah a series about a widow is very rare and interesting for me.

Inuyasha however was not my thing at all..
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:53 am Reply with quote
Neato, I love old anime
otastorian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I've read Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha, and watched Inuyasha and a little bit of Urusei Yatsura. I've liked everything by her so far, I need to hurry up and get into the rest of her work; her fame as an author is definitely not unearned! But it's pretty much a given that Lum is gonna reign supreme in the character polls.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow. That's a pretty good poll. You can vote on all the movies and OVAs like UY's Beautiful Dreamer and Fire Tripper. I didn't expect to be able to select even TV specials, so that's really a great selection. I'm curious to see how certain specials stack in the final rankings.

Personally, I enjoy her manga far more than their anime counterparts. I suppose I'd vote for the Ranma 1/2 TV anime because I love the Japanese cast playing off each other so much. It has plenty of not great episodes, but I really do love the first few arcs and even minor characters are memorable throughout the run.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
For me, my Takahashi favorites will always be her short-form works like Rumic World (or the RT Anthology anime). I've long held a theory about what I call "Takahashi Syndrome"--the sheer inability to know when to quit. Ranma and Inuyasha are the worst offenders in my book.

Yes, I understand the commercial and fan desire to keep a popular and successful series going, but speaking only for myself, if you can't come to the point in (X number of episodes/tankobon), you'd better be telling War and Peace (or the original LoGH, take your pick). Laughing

And, of course, this tolerance level will vary from fan to fan, title to title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1