• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
500 Internal Server Error all-day

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
500 Internal Server Errors are nothing new. I probably get a few every day on average. ANN's servers have unfortunately always sucked ass. But today has been particularly bad. I've barely managed to access the website at all. I have just kept getting 500 Internal Server Error messages all-day. Along with a message:

Quote:
We're terribly sorry but an unexpected error occured while accessing this page.

Thank you for your understanding.

I've gotten well acquinted with those chibified Steins;Gate characters by now.

I can access the main page just fine and I seem to be able to access articles, but when I go to the forums I immediately get an error message. It's a miracle I managed to post this thread.

What's going on?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I had this as well, cleared the cookies for ANN in particular and now everything's fine. The one behavior I noticed was that forum threads which I hadn't entered before (like a new article's talkback thread) would load, but anything I had previously accessed gave me the error.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I removed cookies before making this thread and I didn't notice any particular improvement.

Edit: In incognito/private mode, I get some kinda Cloudflare error page (Error 521).
Lhaeweth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I have been having the same problem all day, surprised I could even access your post since I can’t enter any of the main pages in the forum at all (the Bugs & Technical Questions link included lol). Have you made a report & had any help/answer whatsoever?
lorreen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Happening for me also -- but I'm trying to access encyclopedia entries. Search works fine but as soon as I click on any of the results, the error appears.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 am Reply with quote
It's still happening. It's odd, in normal browsing mode I get the 500 error thing and in private mode I get the Cloudflare 521 error thing.

Also Gina Szanboti seems to be getting the Cloudflare 521 Host Error. She can't even access this thread due to that error so she sent me a PM instead. Just reporting in her stead.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:25 am Reply with quote
Yup. Same problem. Clearing cookies didn't help. And it doesn't work on three browsers on different devices.
Error 521 - Web Server is down.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, sorry about that. I pushed some changes Friday night. They were tested on my dev environment. They were tested on production. But somehow, some problem occurs only for php pages, intermittently. You could refresh the page and eventually get it to work.

I've reverted the changes until I figure out the cause, so the site should be usable now.

m(_ _)m
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, seems to be working now.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Wow, sorry about that. I pushed some changes Friday night. They were tested on my dev environment. They were tested on production. But somehow, some problem occurs only for php pages, intermittently. You could refresh the page and eventually get it to work.

I've reverted the changes until I figure out the cause, so the site should be usable now.

m(_ _)m

When you do find out why the changes caused problems, please let us know.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
Woo hoo, I'm in!

Thanks, Cam0. Thanks Dan!
lorreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

m(_ _)m

Thanks. Must be frustrating for you when changes make things like that happen. I wish you the best in figuring it out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:27 am Reply with quote
As of 3:25 PDT, I'm getting the Cloudflare 521 error again, even on review and some article pages. Also, still getting a lot of the ANN error message with the chibi girl, or just extra long waits and pages not completely loading, but that's been going on for weeks. Hard to say if it's gotten worse, but it seems like it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
^Getting the same errors as Gina 7:44PST, tried erasing cookies Sunday, didn't help. Previously got Cloudflare-to-ANN error (server does not report connection) only on forum links, now getting them on articles so does seem worse. Using Chrome
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
As of 3:25 PDT, I'm getting the Cloudflare 521 error again, even on review and some article pages. Also, still getting a lot of the ANN error message with the chibi girl, or just extra long waits and pages not completely loading, but that's been going on for weeks. Hard to say if it's gotten worse, but it seems like it.

At 3:25 AM PDT this was server load.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^Getting the same errors as Gina 7:44PST, tried erasing cookies Sunday, didn't help. Previously got Cloudflare-to-ANN error (server does not report connection) only on forum links, now getting them on articles so does seem worse. Using Chrome

If I understand correctly, you were getting Cloudflare error 521 errors when visiting fpages ? But was this on Sunday, or later ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3