• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
GhostD wrote:
Not really. Unfortunately even the scene of the quests reveal isn't complete so there are some extra bits of info that were skipped. I could explain it in detail but I suggest reading the LN if possible specifically vol 6 to know the details.

Eh, I'm not invested enough to go through the novels. I can live without knowing why the three great quests are more amazing and unique than they seem.

Those three quests,Zeus & Hera's fate and other stuff just throwaway exposition /s
The anime would not have,till now, been leaving out backstory integral to the over arcing story line Rolling Eyes
pip25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I don't really think the Guild would be just all right with people murdering each other left and right. Probably lots of people got hurt, for sure.

Prior to season 2, I would have been totally on board with this reasoning, but then Apollo started an open war against the Hestia familia in broad daylight, and the Guild pretty much admitted that it was totally helpless to do anything about it. Seemingly (at least from what I've seen in the anime), the Guild is something like the UN: the member familias give it power and influence, but without them it holds no power on its own. It can (and if I'm not mistaken, did) impose fines on the Freya and Apollo familias after the fact, but that sounds like a ridiculous punishment considering the destruction wrought (especially in the former's case), with or without any deaths occurring.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
^
You're both write and wrong.

True, the Guild does not have armed forces of its own. (At least not on the surface, anyway; you'll find out more about that if a third season ever gets animated.) They depend on the power of Guilds for anything equating to military or police action, so they didn't have a direct way to stop what Apollo Familia was doing while it happened. However, they do have a big influence on the city's purse strings through the regulation of magic stone sales and control the entrance to the Dungeon, and that gives them the real power to tax, impose fines, compel actions by Familias, set rules, and even blacklist serious offenders. While Freya Familia probably technically has the power to ignore the Guild, the inconveniences the Guild could cause for them are not worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Unless the anime toned it down, she just got hit in the shoulder and knocked out.

I know I shouldn't be expecting an anatomy lesson from a show like Danmachi, but someone getting "knocked out" by a spear piercing her body, shoulder or elsewhere (and it went pretty deep too, said familia member had to pull it out with considerable force in a not-so-slightly disturbing scene) is not something I'd describe as a non-lethal takedown, not on purpose at the very least. (If she did survive - but how do we know that? She was just a nameless random character who attacked Hestia and the others.)

I suppose with that specific example I should have mentioned that she was knocked back by the force of the strike into a wall, which is likely how she got knocked out,... though I suppose the force of that impact could have killed her, but it didn't seem like it was animated that way.

I'm sure you can die from a shoulder wound, but without any vitals there, I don't think it'd be a one hit killing blow is all.

Quote:
Why would the fact that Freya is a god affect the morality of her decisions though?

When you're an immortal deity I imagine you look at things a little differently. I think if she were supposed to be considered "evil" her actions would be depicted as far worse.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
I checked the books, just to be safe. Nobody died in both incident.
For the Monsterphilia, it is said that monsters are only attracted to Bell and do not care about citizens. And Loki herself said that it was too easy to take care of them and nothing bad happened.
For The Ishtar incident, it's clearly written in the novel that nobody died.

killjoy_the is right ! And we saw something similar with the Ares attack.
There's soldiers getting trashed by some very powerful people just to see them being extorted for health potions. Anime hyper
pip25

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:37 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
When you're an immortal deity I imagine you look at things a little differently. I think if she were supposed to be considered "evil" her actions would be depicted as far worse.

That's an extremely relativistic approach. If the morality of one's decisions would be based on their own outlook, a lot of real-world murders and other deranged acts could not be regarded as evil since the perpetrators themselves did not regard their actions as such. Even if one does not agree with there being some sort of universal/divine standard to morality, the views of the society in which the act took place should be considered, or, in the case of fictional works, the society of the intended audience. I think by both Orario's and Japan's standards, some of what Freya did was rather evil.

Great to hear the novels describe that no one died in the aforementioned incidents, but then I must say, the anime did a piss-poor job at depicting them. The way the attack on the Ishtar familia was portrayed suggested an all-out war with not only losses from either side, but likely considerable collateral damage as well. I know it looks more dramatic that way, but this significantly changes one's view of the story; not everyone can be expected to have read the novels, especially since such series are usually meant to advertise the source material.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Great to hear the novels describe that no one died in the aforementioned incidents, but then I must say, the anime did a piss-poor job at depicting them. The way the attack on the Ishtar familia was portrayed suggested an all-out war with not only losses from either side, but likely considerable collateral damage as well. I know it looks more dramatic that way, but this significantly changes one's view of the story; not everyone can be expected to have read the novels, especially since such series are usually meant to advertise the source material.

The anime doing a poor job at depicting these scenes is an understatement at this point. I didn't like how they just transitioned from the epilogue of vol 7 to the start of vol 8 and leaving Haruhime as an afterthought though I get that there are reasons for it. I'll give the anime the benefit of the doubt with the attack on the Ishtar familia. It didn't detail all of the violence but it didn't really need to. It was completely one sided in Freya's favor.

I understand not everyone reads the LN and I cant expect them to but its also hard not to mention them when the anime leaves a lot out. I've seen so many people in streaming sites including YT that know little to nothing about Danmachi outside the anime. Hell they even get a little confused about what they watch because the anime didn't explain/show it. Some details might be minor and inconsequential but its also details that viewers tend to notice. Pls excuse my ranting
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Been a few days so I hope a double post is fine.

At least the episode was as touching as I hoped it would be. But just as importantly they showed spoiler[Wiene]!

Aaaand season 3 plus an OVA was announced for next year. Damn that was fast
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
^
So was that all announced in conjunction with the final episode, or before it?

Either way it's fantastic news, though nowhere near as unexpected as one Youtuber who was talking about it was describing. The mobile games has been successful, there's been a movie, and there's plenty more story to animate, so this is definitely a "strike while the iron is hot" situation. The four year delay before Season 2 probably happened because not a lot was expected of the franchise at first.

The final scene of episode 12 made it clear that the next season is going to cover novels 9-11. Hopefully the OVA will pick up one or more of the vignettes from volume 8 that were skipped over. (EDIT: Looks like it won't and it's going to be another original fan service fest instead.)

As for episode 12 itself, I'd rank it with episodes 8 and 13 of the first series as one of the franchise's best. I was impressed by the emotional impact it pulled and the way it both carefully set up that situation and linked it to Bell's own relationship with his goddess. We never see much of gods actually being godly in this franchise - we just have to take it for granted that they are - so Hestia's handling of the situation with Karm was a wonderful touch, and her words to Bell afterwards show the caring and sincerity she can be capable of when she's not being smothering. They even fit in the business about the Black Dragon scales, too, and the contrast between the reverence the villagers show and the disgust that Aiz shows. Really, I can't think of anything I'd change about how this story was handled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^ So was that all announced in conjunction with the final episode, or before it?

In conjunction unless I misread the post.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:25 am Reply with quote
This was kind of weird as the finale in a season based on warring other gods but it was also its best episode.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
This was kind of weird as the finale in a season based on warring other gods but it was also its best episode.

I don't think so, honestly. This whole season dealt with Bell being toyed with by the whims of deities, and the final episode dealt with Bell facing the feelings of the most important deity in his life head on and not running away from them. Hestia is the one god that truly, unconditionally loves Bell, and I loved that they were able to adapt this story because we finally got to see Bell allowing himself to accept that love. I saw lot of people reacting to Bell "rejecting" Hestia and comparing it to Emilia vs Rem, but that's a gross misreading of Bell's character. My boy literally didn't even see himself as being worthy of recieving a goddess's love. Not only that, but his rapid growth distracted from the fact that he's still a boy who only recently moved tonOrario and still hasn't fully gotten over his grandfather's 'death.' As a bow on top of a season all about Bell making a name for himself, growing his Familia, and reinforcing his ideals of what it means to be a hero, I though this was a great way to tie it all together.

I don't even care that they skipped a lot of content to get to this ending point.

Btw, as a light novel reader myself, the most annoying thing about season 2 has been other light novel readers. S1 cut a lot of content, too, but I never would have read the books had I not watched and enjoyed S1 as much as I did. In that regard. I was more than pleased with S2 as a digest version of the books and thoroughly encourage anyone that has enjoyed the show so far to go check out the novels which are just genuinely good reads and really expand on the world of the show.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

I loved the ending. It makes a nice break from epic endings where everything actiony has to happen the last episode. A low key finale is what I'd like to see more of in anime.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Overall the anime covered LN Vols 6-8.

The thing with Eps 11-12 is that it mostly covers the tail end of Vol 8. Vol 8 was largely a vignette piece showcasing the lives of Orario’s side characters (Mikoto, Lili, Eina, etc.) amidst Ares’ invasion.
Welf’s vignette got cut out, which is a pity since it explains why Ares was invading Orario in the 1st place. (IIRC the anime hasn’t really showcased much of Welf’s backstory overall.)

spoiler[Basically Rakia wants Welf back because he can smith powerful, durable magic swords (swords that can fire magic from them). His family, the Crozzos, were once the greatest magic swordsmiths in the land (a spirit gave the 1st Crozzo ancestor this power as thanks for saving them) and were a major supplier to Rakia. Then Rakia tried invading the spirit homeland, and they punished the Crozzos by cursing them so their swords would always break easily. Welf’s the 1st Crozzo in years to be unaffected by the curse, and the family saw him as their ticket back to glory. Welf however thought they were unsavoury cheat weapons unfitting of a blacksmith’s weaponmaking pride, and so fled Rakia for Orario. Welf’s dad, his grandpa, and their followers had snuck into the city and threatened his son to go home to Rakia or else they’d destroy Orario. However, the Hephaestus Familia called their bluff and had them arrested (Welf’s grandpa convinces his group to surrender, and is remorseful over forcing his grandson into making magic swords). So Ares later decides to kidnap Hestia in exchange for Welf.
Also, Lili got a marriage proposal from Finn the prum (from the Loki familia). He wants to become prum leader in the future, and believes Lili fits his requirements for a strong, capable woman of prum heritage to support him. Lili rejects him, but is prepared to help him find his ideal partner should she ever appear. Tione, the Amazon twin who’s crushing on Finn, hears about it and is royally pissed at Finn.]
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Considering Ishtar is gone and the amazons seem to be moving on, do the novels ever mention what happened to the red light district after that? It seems like a big piece of Orario to just completely abandon because the main familia of the district is gone and it's not like the world's oldest profession is just going to stop because of it either. Presumably someone else would take over, but if the author really didn't like it, he could just do something else with the space, less realistic as that might be.

Where I currently am in the novels, the incident in the Pleasure Quarter/Red Light District happened roughly a month ago, so the area is still being rebuilt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15