• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What on Amazon Prime is the most worth watching?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Every time I scroll through Amazon Prime's anime selection the amount of good stuff on there is pretty overwhelming. Amazon doesn't really publicize it the way Netflix publicizes its library though. You have to really dig for it.

What might be unique about Amazon is there's a lot of classic stuff here. I'm trying to figure out how much of it I should take the time to watch, since a lot of it seems to be really long series.

Off the top of my head I can spot:

--All of Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers
--Something from Galaxy Express 999
--All of Slam Dunk I think
--GTO
--Some Black Jack anime (looks sort of recent)
--All of Lupin Part 1 and Part 5 (though this is in Japanese, and I prefer Lupin dubbed)
--What I believe to be all of the original Macross
--That Zeiram anime
--Devil Lady
--Space Adventure Cobra
--A Golgo movie
--One of the Female Scorpion Prisoner movies
--Belladonna of Sadness
--A Hokuto no Ken movie
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
Amazon's recent anime offerings have been among the best shows I've watched. All of these are excellent:

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko ("Girls' Last Tour")
Dororo
Princess Principal
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Made in Abyss
Fune wo Amu ("The Great Passage")
Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis
Vinland Saga (airing now)

And some shows that don't quite reach that level but are still definitely worth watching:
Wotakoi
Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul
Re:Creators
IRODOKU

These series didn't do it for me, but others have praised them:
KOKKOKU
Inayushiki
Land of the Lustrous

Amazon has the classic Juuni Kokuki ("Twelve Kingdoms"), but it is incomplete. Watch it on Crunchyroll instead.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Some I would add

Millennium Actress - a pretty recent addition, I think.
Princess Tutu
Ouran High School Host Club.

but that's according to my own def of excellent, of course.

They have Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix, which I didn't like enough to finish. But it is one of Tezuka's biggies, and student's of his works, umm, respect the hell out of it.

Maybe not excellent, but they have RahXephon, a personal favorite of mine.

I agree that it takes a bit of digging to find out what they have acquired. I put myself on their email list, and once in every two or three months, it has proven useful. But I don't have a ton of email to dig through, the way many people have to.

I have enjoyed Land of the Lustrous and Wotakoi quite a bit, and Vinland Saga looks to be a top notch show. And I agree that in the past, Amazon did have somebody picking some really good stuff, at least for a while. But this last year or so, it has dropped to one or two really good shows a year. I don't think there's anyway to know what is going on inside the company. ( shrug ) It's kind of a shame.

For a different kind of excellent, Amazon has a very good example of bats**t crazy 80's anime extremeness, Goku Midnight Eye. I guess they either got stuck with it in a package deal, or somebody at the Big A has a taste for extreme stuff. It sure isn't forgettable, at least. Anime World Order did a very good review of it, if you're curious and want to know what you're getting into.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching Vinland Saga and Dororo on Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1