• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Thorkell is a good guy doing good because he is fighting for the civilized british against the barbaric yoke. What a funny joke! Laughing

Don't they lose in the end?

Never said he was a good guy, he's just better than Thorfins. Also not quiet sure what the nationality of people has to do with any of that, nobody deserves to be raided/raped.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:
Thorkell is a good guy doing good because he is fighting for the civilized british against the barbaric yoke. What a funny joke! Laughing

Never said he was a good guy, he's just better than Thorfins. Also not quiet sure what the nationality of people has to do with any of that, nobody deserves to be raided/raped.

How is he better than Thorffin? He is just a lost kid that's and want to kill just one person who wronged him, meanwhile Thorkell cares for no one.
Thorffin may help the raids and rapes to happen with his work, but Thorkell is one that actually participates in the raids and rapes, because he likes!
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
meiam wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

How is he better than Thorffin? He is just a lost kid that's and want to kill just one person who wronged him, meanwhile Thorkell cares for no one.
Thorffin may help the raids and rapes to happen with his work, but Thorkell is one that actually participates in the raids and rapes, because he likes!

Thorfins care for no one either (well I guess his dead dad, but you know, he's dead and living people > dead people).

Thorkell kill people because he enjoy it, sometime this is bad for other people (when lead raid) sometime it's good for other people (when he defend from raid).

Thorfins kill people so that other people may be raided/killed/raped in order to kill someone. There's no scenario whatsoever where Thorfins involvement makes things better for innocent peoples. If Thorfins had been killed last episode, the world would have only gotten better (weaken a raider group), if Thorkell had been killed, London would have been sacked and thousands of innocent people would have been killed. How is Thorfins the better person?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
How is Thorfins the better person?

One has full conscience of the consequence of his actions and does it intentionally with purpose, the other is in denial and believes to be the victim of a continued act of malice.
Realismfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if Thorkell had been killed, London would have been sacked and thousands of innocent people would have been killed. How is Thorfins the better person?

Thorkell is not a hero but a Viking first and foremost. No doubt he has already sacked countless different settlements and killed thousands of people (a large number by his own hand). Thorkell would most likely be taking part in the assault on London if he believed a.worthy opponent, like Prince Edmond, was defending it.
LaTortugaIsGod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thorkell brings hell down upon the Saxon soldiers

Thorkell was throwing rocks at the Danish soldiers not the Saxons.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinns dream raised a good question, why not just return home. Why try and get revenge for a father who is not, at least as far as Thorfinn believes, is not interested in revenge. He spends more time helping the man who killed his father, than he does having duels with him, it's a long time of your life to waste to just kill one guy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Canute may look like he's come fresh from shooting a shampoo commercial, but that probably just means he can shoot lightning from his sword and do triple fireball backflips or something.

That sentence made me laugh.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His knowledge of Thorfinn's connection to Thors and Helga also didn't play as strongly as I think it could have. ...as it stands, it isn't surprising to learn that two similarly powerful Viking warriors knew each other at one point, and Thorfinn shouldn't be too shocked either.

Why would we be surprised? We saw them fighting together in the first five minutes of the series. And people are always surprised to some degree when they learn there were previously unknown connections between them and a stranger, regardless of how likely or unlikely those connections may be. It's just human nature.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
So is Canute just really bishie, or actually a girl?

https://www.history.com/news/dna-proves-viking-women-were-powerful-warriors
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Unless the story want to go historical revisionist route, no definitely a dude.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut_the_Great
Quote:

In “Land of the Far Bank”, we see Vinland Saga continuing to move along at a ponderous gait, and I can see how some might see the show tipping precariously towards the “boring” half of the aforementioned divide

As someone who find Thorfin quest for revenge to be easily the most boring part of the show, I though this episode was the best of the show since the childhood portion. Really if Thorfin was to just fade into the background for the rest of the story, that'd be freaking fantastic(or even better just get killed off screen, never to be heard from again).
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Unless the story want to go historical revisionist route, no definitely a dude.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut_the_Great
Quote:

In “Land of the Far Bank”, we see Vinland Saga continuing to move along at a ponderous gait, and I can see how some might see the show tipping precariously towards the “boring” half of the aforementioned divide

As someone who find Thorfin quest for revenge to be easily the most boring part of the show, I though this episode was the best of the show since the childhood portion. Really if Thorfin was to just fade into the background for the rest of the story, that'd be freaking fantastic(or even better just get killed off screen, never to be heard from again).

Neither is gonna happen, ever. He’s gonna stick around spoiler[ forever] so accept it.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
meiam wrote:

Neither is gonna happen, ever. He’s gonna stick around spoiler[ forever] so accept it.

Well, he does more or less fade into the background, in this arc at least. And i agree with meiam that Thorfinn has probably been the most boring (major) character so far because he's so one-dimensional, but he'll get better. We are still in the middle of the (seven volumes long) prologue manga-wise after all. Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Thorfinns dream raised a good question, why not just return home. Why try and get revenge for a father who is not, at least as far as Thorfinn believes, is not interested in revenge. He spends more time helping the man who killed his father, than he does having duels with him, it's a long time of your life to waste to just kill one guy.

I guess it would be that it is 'loss'. Revenge in the beginning, but the long term loss of his father grows greater. Thorfinn does want to kill Askeladd, but over time Askeladd has become more of a father figure, though one that has to die eventually. Inertia has carried Thorfinn ever forward, and farther from home each day. Thorfinn and Askeladd are tied together by fate, till the very end.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
Given the time period, would Wales not be worried about attacks from Irish pirates than they would from the English. Also on Wales, I love how beautiful the landscapes are, some of the shows best art to date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13