• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The Creative Team Behind Netflix's Seis Manos

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Why are you guys talking about this American cartoon?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:

And I knew this was going to happen the second someone erroneously decided to label this an anime. All that does is make anime fans hate your show forever.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify: I don't hate the show and plan on giving it a watch, but I also dislike seeing things miscategorized and called what they clearly aren't.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Apparently Netflix use the word Anime as a marketing term for adult animation, so I suppose any Netflix original animated shows not for kids are doomed to bear that title.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:

ANN has talked about American cartoons in the past. But to answer your question specifically it's because the staff wants to promote more diversity but since Japan isn't doing it they often resort to using western works to talk about things like in this case Mexican culture.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Apparently Netflix use the word Anime as a marketing term for adult animation, so I suppose any Netflix original animated shows not for kids are doomed to bear that title.

Netflix doesn't call Bojack Horseman an anime. They only use that label for shows specify trying to mimic anime like Castlevania. They treat it as a genre not a medium.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
sirdano1 wrote:

ANN has talked about American cartoons in the past. But to answer your question specifically it's because the staff wants to promote more diversity but since Japan isn't doing it they often resort to using western works to talk about things like in this case Mexican culture.

I can't tell, so tell me if I'm wrong here, but are you suggesting the ANN's staff often talks about Western cartoons on the site purely for diversity purposes? Because if so A) I can probably count on one hand how many Western works have been on this site in the last five years and B) attempting to speak from a place of authority about a "forced diversity" narrative when you're not a member of the staff and do not have any kind of definitive knowledge that we're doing it for that reason is ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
How is this the "first original anime set in Mexico" when "El Cazador de la Bruja" exists? This is the lamest attempt at earning fake brownie points I've ever seen. Not to mention that, with no Japanese staff or cast, how is this supposed to be anime? Netflix seems to be trying to appropriate and resignify the word "anime" and it's despicable
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Netflix doesn't call Bojack Horseman an anime. They only use that label for shows specify trying to mimic anime like Castlevania. They treat it as a genre not a medium.
I am aware that they see Anime as a genre. I did use the word apparently for a reason, I'm not 100% sure I just got the impression.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I appreciate the additional coverage. There’s a lot of crossover between anime fans and the audience for anime-style western shows like Castlevania, RWBY, The Last Airbender, etc. If they’re going to talk about Western shows from time to time, these are the type to do, since they do fall near our realm of interest.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
We wrote about Castlevania. This is by the same studio, produced by veteran anime industry people. It's labeled "anime". And I thought it would be interesting. That's why.

Chill.

doubleO7 wrote:
Personally, I appreciate the additional coverage. There’s a lot of crossover between anime fans and the audience for anime-style western shows like Castlevania, RWBY, The Last Airbender, etc. If they’re going to talk about Western shows from time to time, these are the type to do, since they do fall near our realm of interest.

Thank you, this is basically it.
nadroj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
How is this the "first original anime set in Mexico" when "El Cazador de la Bruja" exists? This is the lamest attempt at earning fake brownie points I've ever seen. Not to mention that, with no Japanese staff or cast, how is this supposed to be anime? Netflix seems to be trying to appropriate and resignify the word "anime" and it's despicable

i think that usually when an anime refers to itself as an "original," it means that it isn't an adaptation of a manga--if wikipedia is to be believed, the "el cazador de la bruja" manga was in serialization about a month before the anime aired.

in this instance, i don't know if i'd call this appropriation? cultural appropriation has roots in colonialism and occurs when a dominant culture takes something that has significant cultural value in a disenfranchised culture out of its intended use (i.e., white americans wearing native american headdress at coachella to "look cool"). i don't really know what to call it (there's a specific term for this social phenomenon, but i can't put my finger on it--borrowing? exchange?), but to slam down on the hot-button issue of "appropriation" in this context just seems...inflammatory and disingenuous.

"anime" is just the japanese term for "animation." it's a style that, yes, originates in japan, but the anime that we know and love today was heavily influenced by the works of osamu tezuka in the 60s...whose style was heavily influenced by carl banks--an american cartoonist and the writer and artist for the first donald duck comics. and to further complicate things, more and more japanese anime studios are outsourcing animation to substudios in other countries, such as korea, china, and india. i'm willing to bet at least one anime you've watched in recent years has some of its production work done in another country; does that make less "authentic" anime?

there can be cross-cultural influence without it being appropriation. some would even argue that saying anime is strictly a japanese thing is dismissing it as an art form that can transcend cultural barriers (not that everything unique to a culture can or should; especially if it harms a minority group and is convenient for their oppressors). i think those of you getting up in arms about this article have good intentions, but the outrage is a bit misguided.

a really good show that examines this sociological phenomenon--albeit in the context of food and cuisine--is "ugly delicious." i recommend giving it a watch.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:51 am Reply with quote
FTR, I don't have an issue with ANN covering this series, I hope it didn't come across that way. My beef -and my comment- was directed at Netflix's marketing of the series. From the "ooo the first anime set in Mexico", and calling it "anime" even though it looks nothing like anime and its production is in no way connected to any Japanese studios, or any known anime artists, directors, animators, etc etc.

About whether it's the "first" anime inspired in Mexico or the first original one, I'll only call back to Netflix's first announcement of the series, where they did call it flat out "the first anime inspired in Mexico", which is a load of bull considering not only El Cazador exists, but also the first half of Jojo Battle Tendency takes place in Mexico. Not to mention that their "Mexican setting" is the exact same stereotypical Tijuana setting that's been done in every American TV show and even the Crayon Shin-chan movie, it's just portraying the same old stereotypes of "Mexico", so why even bother calling attention to it?

Perhaps appropriation is a loaded word that may not be entirely appropriate for the issue I'm describing, so maybe we can call it "rebranding"? Yes, Tezuka took heavy inspiration from Disney, but didn't go on to claim Astroboy was a Disney Animation. Yes, "Anime" is a derivative of the word "animation", but at present, the word anime has its own meaning, and although there's a lot of debate about what the limits for "anime" and "not anime" actually are, I think that what Netflix is doing -by rebranding and resignifying the word to market their original animation series- is shady to say the least, and should be questiones more openly.

Or maybe they called it "anime" because they're imitating Tezuka's technique of drawing as few key frames as humanly possible? Laughing The animation in the PV looks stiff as hell.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:50 am Reply with quote
The first episode of Cowboy Bebop was set in Tijuana. Ok, Space Tijuana, but still. Smile

And El Cazador manga was an adaptation of the anime (the 3rd of Bee Train's "girls with guns" trilogy). It was just released first due to differences in production times between anime and manga. So yeah, Netflix is really reaching with their marketing claims.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:11 am Reply with quote
I feel that every time Netflix calls a Western animation "anime", we should post the GUNDAM ZZ opening. Very Happy
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
The thing that gets me is this show is getting good reviews across the board. I would argue that calling it anime is completely unnecessary as it just creates animosity and backlash.

Apparently they’re calling the Masters of the Universe series from Powerhouse that Kevin Smith is directing anime as well. Because when you think anime, you think Silent Bob.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2