• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Vandread] Just to double check: the series originated as an anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
My housemate is watching Vandread on Tubi, and I want to double check: The television series is the starting point for the franchise, correct? I.e., the rest is spun off from it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
According to a Wikipedia article, a Vandread light novel was released first in June of 2000, four months before the tv series aired, coincidentally, on this date in 2000. Both works were created by Takeshi Mori, who was probably working on both formats simultaneously.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
My housemate is watching Vandread on Tubi, and I want to double check: The television series is the starting point for the franchise, correct? I.e., the rest is spun off from it.

Regarding the Vandread the Second Stage novel, Kadokawa has said, 'Like the previous Vandread novel, the director [Mori Takeshi] has started the complete novelisation precedent to the broadcast of the TV anime.'
This is so-called senkō novelisation in Japan, and it is a novelisation which is released before the release of a work of which story is adapted for the derivative novel.
Another factor which can be taken into account is that the credit line of the Vandread novel says, 'Planning, original idea: Gonzo, Mori Takeshi.'
Maybe the anime studio Gonzo and the director had a treatment, a draft screenplay or something of the Vandread TV anime when Mori was going to write the novel and Mori Takeshi wrote the novel based on it.
If this is the case, the 'starting point' may be a screenplay of the Vandread anime.
Or it may depend upon your definition of the 'starting point for the franchise'.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks--that's basically what I wanted to know: that Vandread was an original idea of Gonzo(/Takeshi Mori), centered around the anime, and not an adaptation of something else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1