• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlaking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Also amazing, the count has said that Vic is legally found to be a public safety issue.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Months ago, when Vic started being fired from productions, I said that I wasn't going to hold my breath that he's going to get his just desserts. He's been a known predator for over a decade, after all, and every time he gets called out, he just goes right back to work the next time with little to no consequence.

But, hoo boy, am I glad to be proven wrong this time! I know he still has his fans, but just the fact that he sued both his employer and coworkers is already making it clear that there will be very little chance of folks hiring him in the future. Vic is self-imploding, and it's glorious to see.

Thanks to all those folks who kept speaking out about Vic even when it seemed hopeless. This victory is in large part due to your efforts. It's unfortunate that it took so long, but I'm glad that it's finally happening.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the judge didn't say that now they could arrest him for his lewd acts and all. That'll be the next headline.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I'm hearing upwards of half a million he's gonna owe in just legal fees...

Vic is going to be sanctioned in an amount that in theory should discourage him from further harassing the defendants.

That GFM account will be pivotal in determining how much Vic will be fined. I'm expecting at least that 250k amount PLUS the attorney fees.

I read that the fees might be 2 to 3 times the GoFundMe balance alone - that Marchi's attorney could eat up half the account alone, and that was the easiest case to prove, making her fees the lowest of the bunch (probably). THEN you add in fines.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote

This predator is now finished and just lost his safety net against any future criticism by his many victims. This verdict further set a bit of a legal precedent so future accusers of other VAs and whatnot will have an easier time.

Remember folks. Actors, authors, CEOs, developers and so on are not your friends. They may be angels or demons but you never met them, so stop supporting or accusing them and just allow things to play out. It is for courts and frankly the public to decide who is in the right or wrong. It sucked for me to find out that childhood comic heroes as Chuck Dixon or Frank Miller turned out to be scum or that Michael Jackson, Kevin Spacey and so on are pedophiles but I have to deal with it. You can equally deal with Broly being recast. And watch this one while you are at it. Cancel Culture Isn't A Thing, You Snowflakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szybEhqUmVI
The word you are looking for is called "consequences".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Also amazing, the count has said that Vic is legally found to be a public safety issue.

Not exactly, I think what Judge Chupp was saying(on page 3 paragraph 2 of Judge Chupp's Order) is that the defendants had enough evidence to show that their discussions about Vic's allegations were a matter of public safety. In effect, saying that the defendants had enough evidence show there was some truth to what they were discussing and for a good reason, i.e. public safety from sexual deviants.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
If the lawyer dumbass football analogy is any sign to go by then I have a feeling it isnt over yet. Sadly. He should accept the loss instead of making it worse.
Sorceresspol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
Months ago, when Vic started being fired from productions, I said that I wasn't going to hold my breath that he's going to get his just desserts. He's been a known predator for over a decade, after all, and every time he gets called out, he just goes right back to work the next time with little to no consequence.

But, hoo boy, am I glad to be proven wrong this time! I know he still has his fans, but just the fact that he sued both his employer and coworkers is already making it clear that there will be very little chance of folks hiring him in the future. Vic is self-imploding, and it's glorious to see.

Thanks to all those folks who kept speaking out about Vic even when it seemed hopeless. This victory is in large part due to your efforts. It's unfortunate that it took so long, but I'm glad that it's finally happening.

*Turns off sarcasm button* So much this. While this case has shown some of the bad side of fandom, it has also showed me that many fans tried to protect people by sounding the alarm about this guy for years.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The best part is that that grifter Rekieta's GoFundMe doesn't come anywhere close to covering what Vic will owe on the other end of this, according to the Dallas Morning News. He'll owe more than half a million bucks. This is just delicious.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
now to find out how high the tendrils of Big Dubbing have climbed up the appellate court ladder to snuff out this incredibly legitimate lawsuit
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
He brought all of this on himself, can't say I'm not pretty pleased with how its all turned out (not that I'm surprised).

Now I just sincerely hope the on-going harassment targeted towards Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial, their VO industry supporters, reporters covering the story, etc... dies down to a significant degree. Its awful that some people are so delusional that even this verdict will not sway them.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
The best part is that that grifter Rekieta's GoFundMe doesn't come anywhere close to covering what Vic will owe on the other end of this, according to the Dallas Morning News. He'll owe more than half a million bucks. This is just delicious.

Oh yeah, this idiot's both set to owe an absolute ton of money and ensured no major company is ever going to want to work with him again in fear of him suing them. He's effectively bankrupted himself.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
His career is ruined and I couldn’t be happier that karma gave him what he deserved.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
now to find out how high the tendrils of Big Dubbing have climbed up the appellate court ladder to snuff out this incredibly legitimate lawsuit

If he intends to do that the first order of business is to find a more competent lawyer. It shouldn't be hard, but that's because Beard provided an extremely low hurdle to clear. The only way Vic's case could have been represented worse is if his lawyer had screamed "My client is guilty!" at the top of his lungs for the opening argument.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I'm hearing upwards of half a million he's gonna owe in just legal fees...

Vic is going to be sanctioned in an amount that in theory should discourage him from further harassing the defendants.

That GFM account will be pivotal in determining how much Vic will be fined. I'm expecting at least that 250k amount PLUS the attorney fees.

I read that the fees might be 2 to 3 times the GoFundMe balance alone - that Marchi's attorney could eat up half the account alone, and that was the easiest case to prove, making her fees the lowest of the bunch (probably). THEN you add in fines.

Yeah, Vic should have settled yesterday, he really should have because even though there was no chance in hell he would be walking away with the defendant's money, he could have settled to pay their costs AND have it privately hidden from the public. It could have saved him the humiliation of losing spectacularly.

But now, since all the charges have been dismissed, there will be another hearing later on to determine the sanctions, and THAT decision will be made public, so the whole world will now that Vic is being fined, how much, and why.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12