• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
getumbuck wrote:
I mean take what happened to James Gunn for example, when everyone was calling him a child molester a year ago, just because he made some bad jokes, ten years ago. Literally every person he ever worked with came to bat for him and said he was a good person, heck even members of the MeToo movement came out to support him. The guy made a vow to change and become a better person in 2013 and it shows, simply by how many people love and support him in 2019. He didn't suddenly decide to sue Disney or have his fans attack people online who leaked the story. He excepted his lose as a professional and moved on to new gigs and even got his old job back after about 6 months.

That situation is not comparable at all. James Gunn was fired for jokes, not sexual misconduct. It had nothing to do with #MeToo or Vic's situation. That's why James Gunn is just fine while Al Franken is still being harassed by people after laying low for 2 years and people are trying to cancel him. Big difference.

But conveniently we have the Chris Niosi situation as well. He was recently fired from voice acting by Nintendo for sexual misconduct. He admitted and took his firing with grace and is bettering himself We can check back in with him in a year and see if he's back at Nintendo. A bit of a 'what if Vic just admitted to everything people accused him of and begged for forgiveness" experiment. I would personally say no, of course Chris won't be getting hired back by them, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Al Franken's 9th accuser has recently come forward - while I was very doubtful about the first one (and still am considering the circumstances) there are still 8 more women making claims. Eventually one has to wonder why so many? How much smoke can circle someone unless there is fire in the vicinity?

However, if you want to see someone able to move past accusations, look at Dan Harmon. He hasn't been cancelled yet, in part to him owning up to his failings. And partly due to the talent he has - for example, in the world of professional sports, a star player gets the job back faster than someone on the back end of the roster. The less replaceable one is, the easier it is to be forgiven by an employer - not fair, but that doesn't stop it from being true.

We'll have to wait and see about Niosi. He's about 100% unlikely to get his old job back because then Nintendo would have to fire his replacement. But he might eventually be able to get back into the industry (or a decent alternative) when things die down because it appears he had admitted his faults and actually apologized rather than sueing his alleged victims. Time will tell in his case.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
I just hate witch hunts.

Meaning you hate women being able to stand up the their abusers and take them down.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:29 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
No one expected the cult of Vic to stop any time soon, they’re probably still going into every Twitter post Funi does and write “sacred ointment” or “casting couch” it’s also pretty scummy that they wrote this crap on a post about the Kyoto Animation fire.

What has me upset is YouTubers "covering" the drama care more about stroking the fires of a petty fantics than the lost of many lives.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
[quote="Commander Cluck"]
getumbuck wrote:

But conveniently we have the Chris Niosi situation as well. He was recently fired from voice acting by Nintendo for sexual misconduct. He admitted and took his firing with grace and is bettering himself We can check back in with him in a year and see if he's back at Nintendo. A bit of a 'what if Vic just admitted to everything people accused him of and begged for forgiveness" experiment. I would personally say no, of course Chris won't be getting hired back by them, but stranger things have happened I guess.

If not for Nintendo, he at least stands a chance of getting voice work for other companies, because he owned up to his mistakes and didn't try to sue his victims and the company he worked for. Time will tell, but I'd say the odds are more on his side, than Vic's at the moment.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
[quote="getumbuck"]
Commander Cluck wrote:
getumbuck wrote:

If not for Nintendo, he at least stands a chance of getting voice work for other companies, because he owned up to his mistakes and didn't try to sue his victims and the company he worked for. Time will tell, but I'd say the odds are more on his side, than Vic's at the moment.

Nintendo itself is less likely - many companies have policies which make it more difficult to rehire anyone who was fired 'for cause' as I learned myself (although I was fired for goofing off on company time in my teens rather than harassment). When the economy took a temporary crash in 2001 and I needed a temp position to pay for Christmas stuff that old job was one of the places I looked at and the store manager (who at least seemed willing to accept I may have matured in the decade plus since I worked there) told me that because I had messed up the last time I could only be hired by the district manager.

This doesn't prevent him from working for any other company, it just means his chances of returning to Nintendo specifically might have an additional hurdle.
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Halko wrote:
I just hate witch hunts.

Meaning you hate women being able to stand up the their abusers and take them down.

Yes because everything is about sexism and/or racism right? Nobody could possibly want to see actual evidence something has happened before grabbing the pitchforks and torches. Not every accusation is legitimate and without evidence is just hearsay and not credible. Or maybe we should say the people throwing these accusations around just hate men and want to ruin them? Oh but that would be a baseless accusation kind of like what you just did.

Its the responsibility of the person that brings a claim to the table to back it up with evidence and a well structured argument for it. A claim without backup is garbage and should be thrown out as such.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:

Yes because everything is about sexism and/or racism right? Nobody could possibly want to see actual evidence something has happened before grabbing the pitchforks and torches..

So dozens upon of eyewitness accounts, accusations, and testimony of bad behavior spanning a decade plus is obviously not actual evidence. Right. You said it yourself, you don't care if he actually did do it. You don't care if he did assault people because you don't like dubs or care about the people he assaulted. You're done with this topic so I suggest you move on.

Obviously this needs to be said again for everyone. Conspiracy theory posts, victim blaming posts, bad faith arguments on this topic, and posts excusing away this conduct are not going to be tolerated. We're also done turning this into a thread on debates about sexual harassment, what is or is not harassment, or people attacking each other. Keep it on topic, keep it civil, or just don't post. We've had enough of these threads over the past several months with the same circular arguments over and over, or going onto tangents about other non-related people.
gilgameshi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Good. Hope the sanctions he gets hit with are sufficient enough to discourage appeals and continuing this sad attempt at silencing his accusers.

Rumor has it Percy wasn't honest with Vic about how bad his case was going. Hope this is a wake-up and makes him realize an appeal would just waste everyone's time and HIS money. Then maybe people would slow down on harassing the accusers.

Saddest thing is, these people aren't mad at the two people who they should be mad at. Nick, for lying to them for months and encouraging Vic to go with Percy, and Percy, who was clearly not remotely close to prepared or fit to litigate a case, especially a case Vic was told by several lawyers (and Percy was told by 80+ lawyers) was a lost cause.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
[quote="getumbuck"]
Commander Cluck wrote:
getumbuck wrote:

For what it's worth, he did come back to reprise his role as Reigen in the Mob Psycho 100 OVA recently, so there's still the chance he can still get work for anime. Nintendo is a lot less likely, though.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
For what it's worth, he did come back to reprise his role as Reigen in the Mob Psycho 100 OVA recently, so there's still the chance he can still get work for anime. Nintendo is a lot less likely, though.
The OVA was being screened back in July so it might have been dubbed awhile ago.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
gilgameshi wrote:
Good. Hope the sanctions he gets hit with are sufficient enough to discourage appeals and continuing this sad attempt at silencing his accusers.

Rumor has it Percy wasn't honest with Vic about how bad his case was going. Hope this is a wake-up and makes him realize an appeal would just waste everyone's time and HIS money. Then maybe people would slow down on harassing the accusers.

Saddest thing is, these people aren't mad at the two people who they should be mad at. Nick, for lying to them for months and encouraging Vic to go with Percy, and Percy, who was clearly not remotely close to prepared or fit to litigate a case, especially a case Vic was told by several lawyers (and Percy was told by 80+ lawyers) was a lost cause.

Here's the thing admitting that Nick Rekieta isnt some super lawyer who knows more about Texas law then a bunch of other lawyers, and the judge would basically be admitting that maybe everyone else is right about Vic.

These people will flush down thousands of dollars to attempt to live in this fantasy world they constructed where women will all of a sudden just turn on a man because they are jealous of the lines Vic gets. They dont understand why VAs will block them for supporting Vic, so they are willing to believe that now everyone knows that Vic is literally the only good VA in the entire industry. It never occurs to them that the VAs who have spent more than a few minutes with Vic would know more about Vic, then the time they went to a con, and Vic was very nice to them when signing their poster from Fullmetal Alchemist.

They dont want to accept reality so when the court case goes exactly as most of the lawyers predicted, they have to accuse the texas judge of just being lazy. I mean sure they could read the transcripts of the hearing but Nick told them that the Texas Judge wouldnt accept any of Ty's evidence and that's good enough for them. If you read the transcript you would see that Ty's evidence was crap, involving just stating that a conspiracy could have happened, so the judge should allow conspiracy to be part of the lawsuit. Vic couldnt be bothered to write down his own expenses so damages couldnt be shown, nor does Vic have any proof he had contracts with numerous cancelled cons because apparently Vic Migogna does every business deal through handshake deals. He also had no proof that any of the cancelled cons cancelled because any of the defendants contacted them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Not every accusation is legitimate and without evidence is just hearsay and not credible.

Its the responsibility of the person that brings a claim to the table to back it up with evidence and a well structured argument for it. A claim without backup is garbage and should be thrown out as such.

Which is exactly what the judge did, so why are you complaining? Also, if you read the transcripts, the "well structured argument for it" part was sorely lacking on the plaintiff's side, which was one of the problems with the suit.

I know you're being willfully ignorant as this has been explained countless times, but hearsay doesn't mean someone merely said it. First hand testimony is not hearsay. If someone told you I was assaulted and you testify that you heard I was assaulted, that's hearsay. If I testify I was assaulted, that's evidence. Btw, not all things that fall under hearsay are inadmissible, so chew on that for a while. Smile
tee2330

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Basically all this meant was he was unable to sue for defamation (which is pretty hard in the first place) the Istandwithvic movement hasn't really died out, and this hasn't proven the allegations against him true or false.

The gofundme will probably end up covering the legal fees, after-all it was some fan who started it and raised enough money and told Vic to sue them anyway so it wasn't Vics idea.

He's getting more appearances at cons, and now more than ever people are supporting him and trying to get him work, dubbing studio may be far fetched, but if the right people with the right connections come out he could probably get some VA work in another company, with this the KickVics started celebrating way to soon, they should celebrate when he goes to jail for the allegations as of now unproven. The lawsuit was the battle but proving he did those things outside of twitter court is the war, and they're not even trying.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
Basically all this meant was he was unable to sue for defamation (which is pretty hard in the first place) the Istandwithvic movement hasn't really died out, and this hasn't proven the allegations against him true or false.

The gofundme will probably end up covering the legal fees, after-all it was some fan who started it and raised enough money and told Vic to sue them anyway so it wasn't Vics idea.

He's getting more appearances at cons, and now more than ever people are supporting him and trying to get him work, dubbing studio may be far fetched, but if the right people with the right connections come out he could probably get some VA work in another company, with this the KickVics started celebrating way to soon, they should celebrate when he goes to jail for the allegations as of now unproven. The lawsuit was the battle but proving he did those things outside of twitter court is the war, and they're not even trying.

The GFM account does not let Vic off the hook for the attorney fees or sanctions that will come his way. If anything that GFM account is a big red target mark for the judge to determine the minimal amount that will come out of Vic's pocket. There is a good reason for that, it's mainly to discourage people with money from using the civil court system as a tool to harass people.

There will be no GFM account that will cover for Vic. The judge will likely see to that.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
tee2330 wrote:

The GFM account does not let Vic off the hook for the attorney fees or sanctions that will come his way. If anything that GFM account is a big red target mark for the judge to determine the minimal amount that will come out of Vic's pocket. There is a good reason for that, it's mainly to discourage people with money from using the civil court system as a tool to harass people.

There will be no GFM account that will cover for Vic. The judge will likely see to that.

Depending on the leeway the judge has in assessing the Anti-SLAPP penalty, he might be able to say that the fine is the balance of the GoFundMe, without listing a specific amount. In other words, he might have the ability to fine any future donations if he words it right, and the leeway granted by the law in assessing fines can withstand such interpretation. Judges have a ton of power in the courtroom - there is one instance where a different judge jailed a spectator for contempt because he didn't like her shirt.

Yes, this is speculation from someone who has only driven through Texas, so don't take what I said as gospel. I'm thinking of what could be a possible worst case type scenario for Vic.

Although after what I have seen of this trial, Ty Beard needs to be disbarred, if only to protect any other potential clients from his incompetence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12