• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Let's Put A Smile On That Face

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Someday I'll hop into one of these threads about how I didn't like a thing and gave all the nuanced reasons I didn't like a thing and not be accused of pearl-clutching, censorship-shrieking.

Equating "I think this movie's "message" was poorly conceptualized and the director lacks the ability to read the [expletive] room" as "Dr. Kellog says we gotta cut off your foreskin so you don't whack it too much and go blind" sure is something.

I'm confused. No one has accused you of anything, unless there's been deleted posts I don't know about. All of the Joker discussion so far has been from a macro viewpoint; the media in general, not about you and Zac personally.

Also, I don't understand the point you're making in the second paragraph. The Dr. John Kellogg quote is completely out of nowhere and no one here has said anything remotely like that, and I don't see a parallel in Kellogg's quote and the discourse here either. If you wish to explain it please do so.

Not to come off as snarky, but Joker also made $93.5 million in box office gross this weekend, breaking the October record. I think the director didn't fail to read the room, but chose to read a different room from the one you and Zac are in. The long-term consequences of this are, of course, up in the air, but for now it's paid him, his movie, and WB financial dividends.
mbanu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Someday I'll hop into one of these threads about how I didn't like a thing and gave all the nuanced reasons I didn't like a thing and not be accused of pearl-clutching, censorship-shrieking.

Equating "I think this movie's "message" was poorly conceptualized and the director lacks the ability to read the [expletive] room" as "Dr. Kellog says we gotta cut off your foreskin so you don't whack it too much and go blind" sure is something.

I hope you will reconsider one day. The impulse is the same; the only difference is what counts as vice. Someone can say, "Well yeah, but their idea of vice was crazy, while mine is completely reasonable" and I suppose there's no arguing with that. Smile

The Victorians had a lot of good points, as do those today who believe that the influence art has on real life is too profound to just let people barf their id up for the world to see without any controls. I don't actually have any criticism of the Victorians and their desire to Bowdlerize art they felt was irresponsible -- they argued their case well, just as their opponents did.

I think this makes people uncomfortable sometimes because they are not used to seeing the Victorians as real people or their perspectives as anything other than the foreskin-chopping nonsense of a primitive time, so naturally anything that compares their own thoughts to those of the past must be an attack, when it was never meant to be so.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember finding Batman&Robin to be boring bad. It's funny for a bit,but it's way too long for it's own good. Everyone besides I'ma,just seems confused at how to play their parts. Mask of the Phantasm is by far the best of the films. Probably put Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker behind it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2