• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The twists continue twisting! Though yeah, now that half the series is behind us, I do wonder if the series will be concluding within the next 11 episodes or if they're splitting the series and coming back again later. Still, this is the series I look forward to most every week so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll be able to stick the landing.

New theme songs~
I don't actively listen to MWAM but I'm pleased that I can at least easily recognize their music. I only know of milet because her first EP was partially produced by Toru (ONE OK ROCK guitarist) but the song was pretty good.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised that James did not mention the new op and ED, since the new OP already gave him a glimpse (about 20%)of what the payoff is ( the following non-stop action and emotional roller coaster)

As you have guessed it, Askeladd’s backstory is far from complete, there will be more shocking revelations about why he became the person he is now. He is much more intriguing than one might assume
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Someday, Thorfinn is going to have to make his stand against Askeladd

spoiler[Well...]
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I am surprised that James did not mention the new op and ED, since the new OP already gave him a glimpse (about 20%)of what the payoff is ( the following non-stop action and emotional roller coaster)

As you have guessed it, Askeladd’s backstory is far from complete, there will be more shocking revelations about why he became the person he is now. He is much more intriguing than one might assume

I did mention them, though - once in the review, and Other in the Odds and Ends Section
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I love all these comments about the pacing, because the manga is SEVERAL arcs further along, and they still aren't sailing towards Vinland yet.
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
new op sucks balls, so weak

original op alot better
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:

I did mention them, though - once in the review, and Other in the Odds and Ends Section

My apology, as you have guessed it, today I read your review in a hurry during lunch break, usually I read them after work as a complement to my first viewing. I put lots of attention on the Askeladd's part and clearly have lost track of others (The end section is a rather strange choice of the recent anime reviews, as I thought those bits can easily integrate into reviews seamlessly, oh well I can adapt)

Again, my bad Embarassed
Clematis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you would have told me a few months ago that Askeladd would end up being the most interesting and complex character, I probably would have balked.

Oh it's only just getting started. I guarantee you will enjoy the ride. Wink
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
While I'm indifferent towards the new OP song, I really like the visuals they use, it's a very WIT style of op/ed.
crosswithyou wrote:
The twists continue twisting!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I love all these comments about the pacing, because the manga is SEVERAL arcs further along, and they still aren't sailing towards Vinland yet.

Actually, about that...

Though I assume you're talking about the English release, but otherwise, check the latest Japanese chapter, or the translated version of it.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
The "bit of text" used in the episode is Lamentations 5, verses 20 and 22, a very appropriate choice. Interestingly, while the second verse, 22, uses the King James Version, while the version for verse 20 is the New Living Translation version. (Just talking about the translation choice in the English subtitles, as I would assume that the Japanese is from a single translation.) I suppose the translator had preferences for the different verses.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
ah, not here yet.
I frequent a few other places where people keep on saying how cool askelad is and how it is their favorite characters, I wonder what will their reaction be after this episode.
Regarding the review, I think the eclipse will top this episode, but I don't think this season of the anime will make it to the eclipse.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
This episode was like that saying, "separates boys from men".
It's sad for me seeing so many people bored or disappointed. "nothing happens", "filler"... oh satan, gives me strength!

Anyway, I specially like the little twist in the end.
"Traditionally" we would see Anne stating that what had happened was God's punishment for her sin, right? She committed a sin, didn't repented, when God came he took her family without sin to heaven and let her there, to suffer. But her true struggle was not with the sin she committed, it was with the thought that "someone" knew, and had seen, God. She couldn't live in peace with this pressure, that's why seeing "evil" people so unconcerned with that... it was something that she would had never consider. Freed her from the guilty.
It was very interesting, because different people can achieve that peace of mind in different ways. This episode was all about this and of course, Love. Some could say that what Askeladd did was an act of love, maybe.

And I don't get him yet.
What his end goal?
Was a lie that he actually hates the Danes? Is he just being pragmatic to achieve his end goal?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
ah, not here yet.
I frequent a few other places where people keep on saying how cool askelad is and how it is their favorite characters, I wonder what will their reaction be after this episode.
Regarding the review, I think the eclipse will top this episode, but I don't think this season of the anime will make it to the eclipse.

Wait, what?!
I made this image as a joke yesterday. Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/5Ud7CSV.jpg

There's an Eclipse comming?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
ah, not here yet.

Like they'd start hating him? If anyone was to do that, then they haven't been watching the show, this is business as usual for him, he's been doing this for decades at this point...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13