• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DEVILMAN crybaby's Masaaki Yuasa Helms Japan Sinks Novel's 1st Anime for Netflix

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about the source material but Yuasa is an impressive director and I loved Devilman Crybaby so I'm excited to see how this turns out. It would be great if Netflix would invest in more anime projects like this instead of just blocking typical seasonal shows from being simulcast.
Aubrey Dickson Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Well I was interested in this because of the plot but Netflix is involved so I'm no longer interested
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Aubrey Dickson Gaming wrote:
Netflix is involved so I'm no longer interested

Explain.
Aubrey Dickson Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Netflix is involved so I'm no longer interested

Explain.

Anytime Netflix is involved with anything involving anything based on a manga/LN/anime etc it ends up being crap but me explaining anything is gonna be brushed off due to me being new which I don't mind watch what y'all wanna watch I just won't be joining you
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Post removed

Imagine generalizing all releases distributed by a platform. Yuasa is a fantastic director and has an amazing track record. You're not gonna watch it? Cool, but you're probably gonna miss out on a solid show.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
It should be pointed out that Netflix has no real involvement in the actual creation of the anime they stream. They just get the exclusive streaming rights and maybe do some co-funding of it. It's not that different than when Crunchyroll co-funds a show.
Martin G.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
I love the novel and the 1973 movie adaptation but I think Masaaki Yuasa might be the worst choice for directing an anime version of the story. He relies too much on whimsy and strangeness for strangeness' sake to do the dramatic and tragic story justice.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:55 am Reply with quote
Finally, a series announcement I can get behind. This looks really promising.
Also, big LOL at people refusing to watch this because it's Netflix... but then again, a post in ANN about a Netflix-related series with nobody whining about Netflix is like a chimera by now...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
Hmm well I liked Devilman Crybaby for the most part, but I didn't really care(sorry)for Ping Pong the Animation. I may check it out based on if the merits of the source material.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
The novel was a good read, but a bit too sexist.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote
After Devilman Crybaby - another Netflix original by Yuasa and crew - I think it's pretty clear there's an exception to the (apparent) rule. Easily head and shoulders above just about everything else they've had that I can think of.
Sherris wrote:
The novel was a good read, but a bit too sexist.

Knowing this staff, I imagine that's likely to be changed for the better. We'll see, of course.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote
I remember the Sinking of Japan movie directed by Attack on Titan's Shinji Higuchi, which is pretty good and all things considered so were the visuals. I'll be intrigued to see Yuasa's take on the story, which I'm sure will still be depressing just hopefully not as depressing as Crybaby, but we'll see.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
I've seen the 1973 film (Japanese version- not "Tidal Wave" the Corman produced cut-job with new scenes including Lorne Green). That was a classic 70's disaster film with a big cast. I love the thought experiment aspect of it. I actually kind of wish someone would do a "Japan Sunk" sequel about what would happen when an entire country of 100+ million is evacuated (that's the big picture plot- evacuating EVERYONE) and displaced.

This is obviously a much different story focused on a single family stuck in the situation. I don't always love Yuasa's stuff, but it's always worth a look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1