• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n1nn1nn1n

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
Basically all this meant was he was unable to sue for defamation (which is pretty hard in the first place) the Istandwithvic movement hasn't really died out, and this hasn't proven the allegations against him true or false.

The gofundme will probably end up covering the legal fees, after-all it was some fan who started it and raised enough money and told Vic to sue them anyway so it wasn't Vics idea.

He's getting more appearances at cons, and now more than ever people are supporting him and trying to get him work, dubbing studio may be far fetched, but if the right people with the right connections come out he could probably get some VA work in another company, with this the KickVics started celebrating way to soon, they should celebrate when he goes to jail for the allegations as of now unproven. The lawsuit was the battle but proving he did those things outside of twitter court is the war, and they're not even trying.

Nope. The GFM apparently has already been drained a lot to pay for legal fees, and that was before he has to pay sanctions and damages to the defendants. Paying Jamie Machi's fees alone would cost most of the GFM. Adding in everyone else, Vic's probably on the hook for nearly a million.

Vic doesn't need to go to jail to face consequences. His lawyers are driving him into bankruptcy and the lack of jobs and dwindling con appearances will do the rest. If his lawyers (and rabid fanbase) push him into appeals, that'll be even more money lost. So ironically, his worst enemy are the people supposed to be on 'his' side.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
He's getting more appearances at cons.../snip

This is one thing I am wondering about. Beyond his current bookings I do wonder if he will get many more in the future. He admitted in his deposition to some very questionable actions, and a lot in the English-speaking world, where he would be likely to be booked, would be second-guessing whether to book him in the future. Kameha Con is a good example for second-guessing, as if they look like they may lose guests cons might refrain from considering him. Also, on top of that, given that it has been admitted in court that they are only handshake agreements, his current bookings may decide to pull out too since it would be easier compared to written contracts.

I could see him going to Anime Matsuri and others with questionable reputations themselves. Some smaller ones may bring him in for notoriety, but they may end up regretting it too. It may be interesting to see what happens there
gilgameshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
tee2330 wrote:
He's getting more appearances at cons.../snip

This is one thing I am wondering about. Beyond his current bookings I do wonder if he will get many more in the future. He admitted in his deposition to some very questionable actions, and a lot in the English-speaking world, where he would be likely to be booked, would be second-guessing whether to book him in the future. Kameha Con is a good example for second-guessing, as if they look like they may lose guests cons might refrain from considering him. Also, on top of that, given that it has been admitted in court that they are only handshake agreements, his current bookings may decide to pull out too since it would be easier compared to written contracts.

I could see him going to Anime Matsuri and others with questionable reputations themselves. Some smaller ones may bring him in for notoriety, but they may end up regretting it too. It may be interesting to see what happens there

He is still booked for Matsuri. You can look at his profile page on ANN and see how many cons have dropped him just this year. Something was floating around showing all the crossed-out appearances, anyway.

I don’t understand how stans can convince themselves that four appearances after 10+ cancellations is “more appearances at cons” though. Especially after screech posted that one picture where you could see the empty room in the reflection of his aviators...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
Basically all this meant was he was unable to sue for defamation (which is pretty hard in the first place) the Istandwithvic movement hasn't really died out, and this hasn't proven the allegations against him true or false.

The gofundme will probably end up covering the legal fees, after-all it was some fan who started it and raised enough money and told Vic to sue them anyway so it wasn't Vics idea.

He's getting more appearances at cons, and now more than ever people are supporting him and trying to get him work, dubbing studio may be far fetched, but if the right people with the right connections come out he could probably get some VA work in another company, with this the KickVics started celebrating way to soon, they should celebrate when he goes to jail for the allegations as of now unproven. The lawsuit was the battle but proving he did those things outside of twitter court is the war, and they're not even trying.

You sure moved those goalpost.

The "fan" was some right wing grifter who started the GFM to make money off of other right wingers, and anime fans who didn't want to believe that Edward Elric was played by some creep. Also Ty Beard and Nick Rekieta has probably taken nearly all of the money the GFM has, so those legal fees are mostly coming out of Vic's pocket.

Sure Anime Matsuri will invite Vic back, but that's because Anime Matsuri has a piss poor reputation themselves. The rest of the cons Vic gets invited to are mostly small cons who have a couple hundred people attending at the most. Like Hawaiicon was just some small con where Vic greeted a few fans in an empty room.

Ultimately Vic has done more damage to himself than Kick Vic could have dreamed of. Vic admitted to doing several creepy things in deposition, Vic admitted that he doesnt pay attention to his own court case, or the GFM making him come off as an idiot. As mentioned because he hire incompetent attorneys his case got thrown out before it even got to trial so his on the hook for everyone's cost, and will get sanctioned.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Last warning. Let's stop with the conspiracy theories.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I missed a big part of this, but was the main aim of this to get him landed in the slammer? From what I saw, most mentioned they wanted him to change his ways, and recognise what he did, because a lot of the accusations are instances where statutes of limitation has come and gone.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

I don't know if I missed a big part of this, but was the main aim of this to get him landed in the slammer? From what I saw, most mentioned they wanted him to change his ways, and recognise what he did, because a lot of the accusations are instances where statutes of limitation has come and gone.
This is what I believe as well. I don't think anyone actually wanted Vic to go to jail, at least not seriously.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
This is what I believe as well. I don't think anyone actually wanted Vic to go to jail, at least not seriously.

Nobody was ever talking about jail... That's just the latest stan backpedaling/goal post moving. "He's not in jail so he's obviously not guilty of anything".
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Not just the statutes of limitations, but some of the stuff might not be prosecutable under the law as sexual harassment, such as the hugging without permission. That is more of an issue for the civil court, which is pretty much what has happened here. Not only did he have his defamation case thrown out, which means they are telling the truth, he also admitted to some of the acts under oath in his deposition, so double whammy. And before some jump on this as "KickVic changing the goalposts themselves", no these were the goalposts to begin with, to make him realise his actions are inappropriate, unwanted, and pretty much wrong.

Side note, and if going off topic could a mod remove it: I am starting to get surprised about the statutes of limitations being in place. I am an Aussie, and we removed the statutes of limitations on sexual assault quite a while ago, hence why Cardinal George Pell is able to sit in prison right now. I do understand over there it is a state by state thing, but it does make me wonder the situation of the Vic case if they were removed.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:47 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Not only did he have his defamation case thrown out, which means they are telling the truth

Nah, doesn't mean they're telling the truth. Because of the way the laws are worded, they didn't have to be false, necessarily, just not malicious and such.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Not only did he have his defamation case thrown out, which means they are telling the truth

Nah, doesn't mean they're telling the truth. Because of the way the laws are worded, they didn't have to be false, necessarily, just not malicious and such.

This is true about defamation as far as I can see based on what I found from this page regarding texas defamation, however there is the added portion regarding public figures that adds another condition about it having to involve "actual malice." And in instances of actual malice that says the following:

Quote:
In a legal sense, "actual malice" has nothing to do with ill will or disliking someone and wishing him harm. Rather, courts have defined "actual malice" in the defamation context as publishing a statement while either

knowing that it is false; or

acting with reckless disregard for the statement's truth or falsity.

It should be noted that the actual malice standard focuses on the defendant's actual state of mind at the time of publication. Unlike the negligence standard discussed later in this section, the actual malice standard is not measured by what a reasonable person would have published or investigated prior to publication. Instead, the plaintiff must produce clear and convincing evidence that the defendant actually knew the information was false or entertained serious doubts as to the truth of ...[their.].. publication.

Admittedly, this is not quoted directly from legal documents but other sites which provide examples of "actual malice" all correspond with the key point being that what the defendant has said or published was presented understanding that information was knowingly false, which we often refer to as lying.

Also please refer to Vic's deposition where he has admitted being very handsy and has touched others without permission to a degree that could be misconstrued in a suit where he's suing the defendants for saying they were (at the very least) touched without consent and felt uncomfortable.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I believe the allegations. I've met the man in person, and he's a jackass, and he verbally assaulted a close friend of mine. I would love for him to get blacklisted from the industry.

I was just pointing out that the Defamation counts thrown out doesn't mean that what was said was true, just that it wasn't defamation.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Not just the statutes of limitations, but some of the stuff might not be prosecutable under the law as sexual harassment, such as the hugging without permission. That is more of an issue for the civil court, which is pretty much what has happened here.

Yes, you're right. Shouldn't have said a lot. I'd say there's probably more that fall under "might not be prosecutable under the law as sexual harassment", which is likely why I have been under the impression this was more for him to change than for him to end up in jail. I'm actually unsure if someone has come forward with something that would be taken to court, in a criminal trial.

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

See, this is what I'm actually unsure on. While I believe the accusations, and a lot of that has to do with what Vic said in his deposition, I didn't think this case was about whether or not they were telling the truth. While I can understand why some will see it that way, but I've been under the impression that this case was for Vic's team to prove they were lying, and that this was all done in order to damage him.

So, to me, the result of this case was that Vic's team couldn't prove they lied. I don't see the result as validating what they said as truth.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Not just the statutes of limitations, but some of the stuff might not be prosecutable under the law as sexual harassment, such as the hugging without permission. That is more of an issue for the civil court, which is pretty much what has happened here.

Yes, you're right. Shouldn't have said a lot. I'd say there's probably more that fall under "might not be prosecutable under the law as sexual harassment", which is likely why I have been under the impression this was more for him to change than for him to end up in jail. I'm actually unsure if someone has come forward with something that would be taken to court, in a criminal trial.
I think there has been, but the aforementioned statutes of limitations comes into play with that regards. I also wonder if some have kind of been sitting on the sidelines watching this to decide if they would come forward. As pointed out elsewhere during all this as to why they didn't take it to the cops, those who might be able to come forward might be hesitant given the reputation surrounding sexual assault cases.

To the rest, thank you for clarifying things to me. Still leaning towards the "telling the truth" side, mainly because of his deposition, but yeah, without that it wouldn't seem as conclusive.
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Eleven pages already, huh?

Any way to turn reading back through into a drinking game without giving oneself alcohol poisoning?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12