• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Not only did he have his defamation case thrown out, which means they are telling the truth

See, this is what I'm actually unsure on. While I believe the accusations, and a lot of that has to do with what Vic said in his deposition, I didn't think this case was about whether or not they were telling the truth.

AIUI, from a legal point of view, the Court didn't say "what they said was true". It said "Vic couldn't prove they were defaming". These aren't equivalent statements.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
SyranoGravely wrote:
Eleven pages already, huh?

Any way to turn reading back through into a drinking game without giving oneself alcohol poisoning?

You could see how many posts happen in a row without crazy stuff in them or a mod stepping in to delete because things got out of hand - but pick a number that's too high and you have drinking game without any drinking.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Still leaning towards the "telling the truth" side, mainly because of his deposition, but yeah, without that it wouldn't seem as conclusive.

Oh, we're in the same boat there.

DerekL1963 wrote:
AIUI, from a legal point of view, the Court didn't say "what they said was true". It said "Vic couldn't prove they were defaming". These aren't equivalent statements.

Agreed. Clarification is needed for some, because others out there are already saying that Vic's loss means the defendants were telling the truth. I think some have headed down that track due to the definition of defamation as it relates to public figures.
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
Judge Chupp stated as part of his conclusion that all the evidence points to Vic being a public safety issue for the community. This should be enough for any reasonable person to conclude that Vic isn't a good dude, but of course, these aren't reasonable people. Reasonable people don't wrap their identity entirely in fandom until that's all they exist for.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
If it was the other way around and Vic won or even if they just reached a settlement, the Vic apologists would be running with it as undeniable proof of Vic's innocence. This is like when Jamie Marchi won her case and Team Vic suddenly declared she was no longer important to proving his innocence. Now that they lost the whole thing suddenly it was all irrelevant anyway even after months of harassing people on Twitter over it.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If it was the other way around and Vic won or even if they just reached a settlement, the Vic apologists would be running with it as undeniable proof of Vic's innocence. This is like when Jamie Marchi won her case and Team Vic suddenly declared she was no longer important to proving his innocence. Now that they lost the whole thing suddenly it was all irrelevant anyway even after months of harassing people on Twitter over it.

well either that or the judge is biased or was paid off by Monica Rial or who ever works at Funi. the Vic fans are grasping for straws at this point
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
SyranoGravely wrote:
Eleven pages already, huh?

Any way to turn reading back through into a drinking game without giving oneself alcohol poisoning?

You could see how many posts happen in a row without crazy stuff in them or a mod stepping in to delete because things got out of hand - but pick a number that's too high and you have drinking game without any drinking.

This one has actually been pretty good. I think a mod went through and cleaned up just once, plus the warning on the previous page. It's mostly been folks rejoicing?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

This one has actually been pretty good. I think a mod went through and cleaned up just once, plus the warning on the previous page. It's mostly been folks rejoicing?

Not quite. But I appreciate your optimism.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
SyranoGravely wrote:
Judge Chupp stated as part of his conclusion that all the evidence points to Vic being a public safety issue for the community.

That was something I was unaware of, as it's something that I have not seen. Certainly is an interesting comment from the judge, and is likely a point people may have taken into consideration when they were saying the defendants were telling the truth.

Unsure of that, as no one that I've seen that had said the defendants were proven to have told the truth have mentioned the judge's comment.
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:41 am Reply with quote
Well it's mentioned in the article we're all responding to here, so...

Quote:
In addition, communications related to Mignogna's causes of action related to a public concern, and the communications involved allegations of conduct by Mignogna that relate to health and safety, environmental, economic, or community well-being.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:52 am Reply with quote
Oh, I read the article. And no where does it actually say what the judge stated. Which is likely why I didn't put two and two together. Laughing
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
yeah, and its too early to file. Beard apparently has to wait until sanctions and attorney fees are awarded. Still cant do anything right
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
On top of that this could backfire too because the unprofessionalism of jumping the gun wouldn't be seen in a good light by the appellate judge, though if it does come into it the Stands would probably add that to the list of excuses why he didn't win...
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
On top of that this could backfire too because the unprofessionalism of jumping the gun wouldn't be seen in a good light by the appellate judge, though if it does come into it the Stands would probably add that to the list of excuses why he didn't win...

Law Twitter is already calling out Beard for filing an appeal that has pretty much no chance of even being heard by a Texas appeals court.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12