• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dorohedoro TV Anime Reveals Promo Video, Staff, Cast, January 12 Premiere Date

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:22 am Reply with quote
Cue fans complaining about it being a Netflix show in 1,2,3... Twisted Evil
Anyways, wow, really glad about the staff and Studio. Both are top notch and I'm sure we are in for a treat. I'm not familiar with the source material but this sure looks promising (and unique) as hell.
DELERIO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Anyways, wow, really glad about the staff and Studio. Both are top notch and I'm sure we are in for a treat. I'm not familiar with the source material but this sure looks promising (and unique) as hell.

Read the manga you ll love.Its Really crazy and unique ( also complicated so its best to read it in the same period of time or you ll forget things.) In my country is licensed .Maybe also in english
DELERIO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
Anyway all good ( maybe not the Kaiman's head in cgi)
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:

Comments like this don't help, y'know, but I'm glad you're having a good ol' belly laugh about it. Neutral

I knew this was a Netflix joint just from looking at the poster. It just has that "Netflix" feel to it. It certainly looks interesting, tho.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
I’ll start the manga in January. I think Viz have released all the volumes. By the time I’ve finished the manga, I’m sure it will be available to watch on Netflix.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
Wow an adaptation of a Manga that I actually have read, does this mean I need to bitch and whine about it when ti comes out for being different?. It's going to be interesting how it works as Dorohedoro has ultra violent body horror right next to goofy comedy.

As for the Netflix part of this, for something that seems that they are quite involved in, it being on there first and the logo appear on the Japanese poster, they don't seem to have had any input.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
They got the look down for the most part. The premise and visuals are so bizarre, that I never would've expected this to get a show. Glad it's finally happened Very Happy
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
DELERIO wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

Read the manga you ll love.Its Really crazy and unique ( also complicated so its best to read it in the same period of time or you ll forget things.) In my country is licensed .Maybe also in english

Thanks for the tip. I'm not a big manga reader myself ( I wish I had more time for that) but I'm definitely getting good vibes from all the comments around here. Also, crazy, unique and complicated sound totally right up my alley so your comment has made me even more hyped about this Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
I was hoping it would be a bit more gritty, but lt looks good for the most part. Hopefully it won't be hurt by Netflix jail.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
They got the grim and dirty look and background going pretty well, so I'm happy.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
This show could be crap (which it probably won't be) and I'd still watch it just to marvel at those Shinji Kimura backgrounds. Still my favorite art director in the industry.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
This show could be crap (which it probably won't be) and I'd still watch it just to marvel at those Shinji Kimura backgrounds. Still my favorite art director in the industry.
I just looked him up, and wow he has quite the legacy, even worked a couple of times with my favourite art director Kobayashi. I was more focused on the characters and hadn't even noticed the backgrounds.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
DELERIO wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

Gotta a co-worker who finally finished the whole series. I'd heard of the series seeing it advertised on Amazon but never really took an interest. When I decided to look a little more closer at the artwork, I started realized how retro 80/90's it was considering it was started in 2000's. But hey.

i didn't see it being a Netflix show. Is it? Because I saw it was set for Amazon Prime.

The designs bring back a lot of nostalgia from artists I followed as a HS'ler. Such as Katsuhiro Otomo, Masamune Shirow, Go Nagai and Johji Manabe. Though I've NEVER read Akira or 'Outlanders' (when Dark Horse's Studio Proteus line was trying their hand at manga in comic form) I'm familiar with both of them. More so Manabe. However I've been a loyal Shirow fan. After hearing about this getting a anime adaptation I decided to finally look into the source material. Be nice if Viz were to ever release the entire series in a hardcover version. I think people can appreciate the work better that way. But one can dream. Viz just doesn't take that always into consideration.

I'm really shocked that this title got green lit. I've said for years that there was so much manga material out there that you can introduce new audiences to older works. But again the animation market in Japan can't just green light everything. But it is surprising that both Banana Fish and Dorohedoro which are older titles finally got noticed.

So looking forward to checking this out. I'm wonder how many episodes they will do just to cover the entire series? 1 straight 26 or 2 seasons possibly?

Netflix? That would be good. As I saw it set for Amazon Prime. Did something change?
AkatsukiBuzai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait, was hoping MAPPA was going to animate it.

I haven't got a problem with it being produced by Netflix as an anime adaptation probably wouldn't exist any other way.

Other producers tend to stay away from manga's like this. They like the school shoujo shonen stuff because it's easy to sell.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
i didn't see it being a Netflix show. Is it? Because I saw it was set for Amazon Prime.

The designs bring back a lot of nostalgia from artists I followed as a HS'ler. Such as Katsuhiro Otomo, Masamune Shirow, Go Nagai and Johji Manabe. Though I've NEVER read Akira or 'Outlanders' (when Dark Horse's Studio Proteus line was trying their hand at manga in comic form) I'm familiar with both of them. More so Manabe. However I've been a loyal Shirow fan.
Yeah I thought it looked like the sort of title you would see on Amazon Prime. On the subject of Masamune Shirow, the main female character has the same type of nose as the lead from Dominion Tank Police, the round one with a little smudge underneath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2