Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Boys-Love Anime


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Super_M



Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 184
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
Merida wrote:
No "YOI isn't BL!1!1" comments, yet? People are getting soft...:wink


Lol, don't forget the "Banana Fish isn't BL" comments Wink


I don't know why some people are offended when someone calls YoI or BF BL, probably some of them are elitists who can't accept that their favorite series are aimed at fujos and think that are better than them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Graceful Nanami



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 303
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
Who gets offended? Its just a matter of accuracy in genre. You using the godawful term "fujos" is honestly more offending lmao.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Super_M



Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 184
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Who gets offended? Its just a matter of accuracy in genre. You using the godawful term "fujos" is honestly more offending lmao.

Fujos are offending term? Is term used to describe BL fans? Geez, let's stop this topic quickly because that thread can become pretty ugly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andrea1234



Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna upset a lot of people for saying this. I think this website has been having a massive hard-on for boys love and yaoi, with many yaoi-related news popping here in recent months. Also, it has been highly negative on fanservicey shows like that Mamako anime and even yuri titles. Quite frankly, I find this to be bias and creepy. Yuri on Ice is not even a yaoi title, just a boys sports anime with a lot of yaoi subtext. I'm assume you won't be making 5 Best Girls-Love Anime list because Boys Love is a big market that you love so much while Girls Love is a very tiny market that you barely or don't care about at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Super_M



Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 184
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 am Reply with quote
^
I don't think ANN ignore yuri. I mean occasionally is article about yuri manga and occasionally about BL manga, there are news about yuri anime and BL anime. Previous season Given aired so I think propably that's why is this BL list.

Plus I don't think BL are more popular than yuri, just BL fans are more dedicated (guys prefer harem than yuri). Plus often BL manga are niche in niche and most mainstream work target male viewers so more likly add lesbian than gay male characters. I don't played personally but for example new Fire Emblem have more yuri than BL romances and very important character Edelgard is bisexual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marshmallowpie



Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 279
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
As someone who was really into BL around 2008, I find it kinda nice that all the titles on this list are from this decade. Yeah, Loveless has a place in my heart (love both Zero couples) but Soubi will never not be creepy. Same thing with Junjou Romantica. I love Misaki, and Hiroki and Nowaki, but Akihiko and the Egoist pairing not so much. Antique Bakery, on the other hand... always been meaning to rewatch it, but never have. But I remember it as being a very interesting show with a more realistic treatment of its gay characters.

By the way, Gakuen Heaven and Sukisho are missing from the poll... although if Naruto is they'd, I guess there are a lot of things not on it that could be there – Kyo Kara Maoh belongs on there way more than Naruto, haha, but it's nice to see the poll is back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 2338
Location: Email for assistance only
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Should have been on this list but people writing this stuff now are too young, I guess.


I'm in my 30s and have been watching anime consistently for 15 years. I just have a different opinion than you, it's not due to ignorance because of my age.

Andrea1234 wrote:
5 Best Girls-Love Anime list because Boys Love is a big market that you love so much while Girls Love is a very tiny market that you barely or don't care about at all.


Hi, I'm very gay and actually prefer good yuri over yaoi. Please calm down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorTralfamadore



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 497
Location: Keep Austin Weeb
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Mostly feeling like you could read into the Yuri and Victor relationship in different ways, whether romantic or looking up to and finding interesting. Yes, they exchange rings, and I think a character reacted by saying out loud if they are engaged, but there never felt like it outright said these two are in a romantic relationship, rather than just something you could read as a bond. I know that would probably seem obvious to many who have spent their time reading into things where it is just code for queer characters, but when I watched it never felt like there was a moment like Yuri or Victor said specifically that they were dating or engaged, like it was afraid of making undeniably clear to everyone watching that these two are totally gay.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
Subscriber
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7912
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Andrea1234 wrote:
Yuri on Ice is not even a yaoi title, just a boys sports anime with a lot of yaoi subtext.


No, it isn't yaoi - yaoi is pornographic by definition, and boys-love is typically defined as just romance between men.

The idea that Yuri on Ice is not actually about two men in love and "it's just a sports anime with some gay subtext" is the most galaxy-brain social media nonsense take in the world that people keep perpetuating. Man I hate that argument. They fall in love. They kiss at the end. Yamamoto has said many times that she had to cover it up a little bit due to regressive broadcast standards at the time.

As for yuri, we'll get to it when there's a new yuri show out. There's far less yuri than there is BL, which explains why we don't cover it as often.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Jin_Uzuki



Joined: 13 Nov 2018
Posts: 25
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
No. 6 anime is largely trash, it completely butchers the relationship between the two leads and in particular Shion character. Then again, I guess when the competition is stuff like Junjou Romantica, you take what you can get.

It was also a pretty interesting social phenomenon, people genuinely couldn't comprehend an anime not marketed as BL with gay protagonists when it aired. Razz

Zac wrote:
Andrea1234 wrote:
Yuri on Ice is not even a yaoi title, just a boys sports anime with a lot of yaoi subtext.


No, it isn't yaoi - yaoi is pornographic by definition, and boys-love is typically defined as just romance between men.

The idea that Yuri on Ice is not actually about two men in love and "it's just a sports anime with some gay subtext" is the most galaxy-brain social media nonsense take in the world that people keep perpetuating. Man I hate that argument. They fall in love. They kiss at the end. Yamamoto has said many times that she had to cover it up a little bit due to regressive broadcast standards at the time.

As for yuri, we'll get to it when there's a new yuri show out. There's far less yuri than there is BL, which explains why we don't cover it as often.


I partially agree, though I don't there is particular wrong with saying YoI is a sport anime first and foremost. In the same way No. 6 is a sci-fi story with a gay romance. (Dunno if I'm making sense)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Super_M



Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 184
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
^
Maybe but at other hand most discussion about YoI are about Victor and Yuri relationship. So interactions between this two characters play big parts in anime popularity (and thers a lot interactions beetwen this two leads). About the sport aspect many people talk about bad animation on ice skating performances after first episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 548
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Shit, I forgot to write-in Promare. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1557
Location: australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
snip


I think a few people have felt that way, that it didn't go far enough. I think it's seen as wanting to attract BL fans, but not wanting to outright say "hey, this is gay!" so as not to ostracize the other viewers. There was probably restrictions put on it just from a general social standpoint; probably some higher up staff members limited the amount of gayness it could explore.

At least, that's what I've sort of gathered from looking at people talk about it. I personally have not watched it and have 0 interest in watching it.

People are talking about Ai no Kusabi and I keep thinking about how the relatively recent reboot had amazing animation. I only watched like a small part of it but the animation on the technology of the world was surprisingly good. Not what I'd expect from a rapey yaoi.

Anyway, I voted for Classmates because I haven't watched much BL (most BL anime is adapted from stuff I don't like the art style for so..). When Saezuru comes out that'll be up there in my tiny list.


Also, I thought there was a top x yuri list at one point but maybe I'm imagining it.

And people complaining about poll choices; you can enter your own choice. If there's something you think should be there, add it. That's why stuff like Naruto and Berserk are in there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SailorTralfamadore



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 497
Location: Keep Austin Weeb
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I think a few people have felt that way, that it didn't go far enough. I think it's seen as wanting to attract BL fans, but not wanting to outright say "hey, this is gay!" so as not to ostracize the other viewers. There was probably restrictions put on it just from a general social standpoint; probably some higher up staff members limited the amount of gayness it could explore.

At least, that's what I've sort of gathered from looking at people talk about it. I personally have not watched it and have 0 interest in watching it.


There are a lot of other people who felt it went plenty "far enough" in showing the characters get engaged, and that these expectations are a ridiculous double standard that would never be applied to heterosexual couples, but okay, I'm glad we have someone who outright admits they haven't seen the show to tell us whose opinions about it are accurate Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1557
Location: australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
There are a lot of other people who felt it went plenty "far enough" in showing the characters get engaged, and that these expectations are a ridiculous double standard that would never be applied to heterosexual couples, but okay, I'm glad we have someone who outright admits they haven't seen the show to tell us whose opinions about it are accurate Rolling Eyes


I'm not saying whose opinions are accurate. Opinions are opinions. They're someones personal view. I can't dictate what is "correct". I wasn't privy to the creation of the series, so I can't say what happened, what the thought process was, what the intentions were. I'm saying what I've heard some people have said, that is in line with what that person was saying. I didn't say "everyone thinks this" or "this is correct'. Clearly, a lot of people think it went far enough because they call the show BL and were excited by the relationships development. I have seen people who hate the show use it not being "gay enough" as a complaint, I've seen people who hate it say it's plenty gay, likewise I've seen people who love the show say it isn't gay enough, and people who love the show say it's great representation. I personally do not have an opinion either way as I have only seen one episode of the show.
I'm sorry if you think I'm trying to state something is fact? I thought my post was pretty blatant in it being observational and not actually opinionated but sorry if it didn't come off that way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group