• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised that an episode which didn't move the plot forward and seems to exist just to point out that Vikings are dicks. I mean they are dicks, but we have had plenty of good examples already. The entire episode felt like beating a dead horse.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I am surprised that an episode which didn't move the plot forward and seems to exist just to point out that Vikings are dicks. I mean they are dicks, but we have had plenty of good examples already. The entire episode felt like beating a dead horse.

Your missing the point, like all of.

Plus it’s very presumptuous to say it won’t move the plot forward.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

There are fewer examples of them being dicks directly in front of Canute, however, which I would assume would be relevant considering Canute's actual historical importance.

Also, there's a parallel between their actions in the episode, and the actions that supposedly caused the historical Thorkell the Tall to turn against the Danes before his first appearance on the show (though he later turned again and side with Canute in history; no idea what happens in Vinland Saga.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:56 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

You really don't think the survivor of the village massacre is going to have any impact whatsoever in the near future?

Hah.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Through the haze of night and snow, we can just make out the houses of an English village below him.

Aren't they still in Wales?

I guess frostbite doesn't exist in this world. Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
No, the episode before they decided that since the snow was coming early they did not want to cross through the treacherous mountains of Wales so they would cut back into enemy lands of the English area known as Mercia. They are very much in enemy territory right now and that's why they had to kill every villager otherwise their position would be relayed to the English troops (and Thorkell).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
Ah, ok. Thanks.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I think the eclipse will top this episode, but I don't think this season of the anime will make it to the eclipse.

Yeah, it‘s going to come as quite a surprise for people when Canute [spoiler]uses the Behelit to sacrifice his companions to the God Hand.[spoiler]
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The "bit of text" used in the episode is Lamentations 5, verses 20 and 22, a very appropriate choice. Interestingly, while the second verse, 22, uses the King James Version, while the version for verse 20 is the New Living Translation version. (Just talking about the translation choice in the English subtitles, as I would assume that the Japanese is from a single translation.) I suppose the translator had preferences for the different verses.

As to the biblical texts in Japanese in Episode 14, Lamentations 5:20 is a slightly-modified text from The Bible, The New Interconfessional Translation. Verse 21, which the priest has said in the early part of Episode 14, is verse 21 from the Meiji Translation. Verse 22 is a slightly-modified text from The Bible, The New Interconfessional Translation.
A chapter in the Japanese-edition Vinland Saga manga which is roughly equivalent to the early part of Episode 14 of the anime version, too, has Lamentations 5:20 in Japanese, and it seems to be a mixture of verse 20 from The Bible, Colloquial Japanese and verse 20 from The Bible, The New Interconfessional Translation.
The modification and the mixture might have to do with intellectual property rights-related matters.

In Episode 14, there is a scene where Vikings have raided a villager's house, said, 'Bangohan haiken,' talked about the foods, and eaten some.
That is a parody of Breaking into Neighbours' Dinner ('Bangohan' means 'dinner') a long-running Japanese reality TV show where the host (with the TV crew), who is a rakugo-ka, 'raids' ordinary people's houses without appointments, talks about foods which each family is eating for dinner, and has a taste of their foods.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the interesting information, shosakukan! Some of the comments, especially about 突撃!隣の晩ごはん is probably worth noting in the Trivia section of the ANN encyclopedia entry for the show.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
This episode was a masterwork of direction and shot composition. Beautiful in its utter horror. I spent pretty much the entire second half with my mouth agape.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Thorkell is told that will the King will be “the Bretwalda at the next Witenagemot in Wessex”, which is like the kind of tongue-twister line that would either make a translator's job supremely easy, or a living hell.

Well at least those are historical terms which can be simply looked up.

At least they didn't use the more accurate spelling 'Cnut' instead of 'Canute', though that would have been a TYPOGRAPHICAL NIGHTMARE in the subtitles.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot of this episode's first act is devoted to catching up with Thorkell, and I'll be honest: I don't really give a damn about Thorkell.
I'm sure that is a punishable offence. At times I wish Thorkell was the main character or at least had his own spin off series.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
• The whole “A character is horribly injured/killed, but their loved one thinks that they've skipped out on a special homecooked meal” bit is such an oddly specific cliché, but I feel like it happens all the time in anime. The earliest example I can think of is Evangelion; are their major ones from before 97' that I'm forgetting?

pineapple salad (macross) from the 80s is the earliest example I remember.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:05 am Reply with quote
And people didn't believe me when I said this story has a lot of Christian themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13