• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Joins Forces With WEBTOON for New Animated Content

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
Soul Cartel anime when.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
Seems like lolCrunchyroll is too desperate for content that they went for Korean properties given that they are too inept to compete with FUNimation. Also, CR seems to have a habit of announcing partnerships or things that go nowhere (i.e. NBCUniversal deal, Toonami partnership, Crunchyroll originals like High Guardian Spice, etc.).
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
I have many mixed feelings about this. The way how it's worded makes me wonder what exactly they're aiming to do. When they say "animated content", I think of the those animated trailers that you see on YouTube as adds like what they did with Boyfriend of the Dead, Bastard, Let's Play, etc. So can we expect more along the lines of that? Something more than that? I mean, deep down it's obvious what we're all hoping for, not saying it's hopeless, maybe whatever it is they're planning to do could lead into that in the future, but I'm keeping my expectation low. Fingers crossed tho.

Last edited by LiteMangime on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
tbrown3514

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
That sounds dope! While I haven’t used that particular platform. I’ve used LezhinComics and would to see many works get animated! R
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
There's a lot of good series on there, so it has potential to succeed. But I'm curious if they'll bother animating complete series like Days of Hana or Super Secret.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:
I have many mixed feelings about this. The way how it's worded makes me wonder what exactly they're aiming to do. When they say "animated content", I think of the those animated trailers that you see on YouTube as adds like what they did with Boyfriend of the Dead, Bastard, Let's Play, etc. So can we expect more along the lines of that? Something more than that? I mean, deep down it's obvious what we're all hoping for, not saying it's hopeless, maybe whatever it is they're planning to do could lead into that in the future, but I'm keeping my expectation low. Fingers crossed tho.

I'm pretty sure that CR is referring to animated series, not just animated trailers.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
LiteMangime wrote:

I'm pretty sure that CR is referring to animated series, not just animated trailers.

My point is that if that's going to be the case, why not flat out say something like "We're bringing some of your beloved Webtoon characters to life" or along those lines? Hopefully it is that, I'm just interpreting this news in my own way in case that's not what happens, but I'm hoping it does. I just don't like to be certain unless it's right in my face, my heart has been broken one too many times for not reading between the lines is all (T-T)

Last edited by LiteMangime on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
I have been wishing Manhwa to be animated since the ol days when Baam was still Baam. YES YES YES!
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Seems like lolCrunchyroll is too desperate for content that they went for Korean properties given that they are too inept to compete with FUNimation.

What's wrong with Korean content? There are plenty of Korean webtoons that are as good as any manga -- and better than the bland isekai that make up most anime these days.

Besides, a large part of the English Webtoon site is non-Korean comics.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
LiteMangime wrote:

My point is that if that's going to be the case, why not flat out say something like "We're bringing some of your beloved Webtoon characters to life" or along those lines? Hopefully it is that, I'm just interpreting this news in my own way in case that's not what happens, but I'm hoping it does. I just don't like to be certain unless it's right in my face, my heart has been broken one too many times for not reading between the lines is all (T-T)

It's just PR-speak. Hard to take those at face value.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
Girls of the Wild & The God of High School immediately came to mind for potential anime.

Honestly, out of all manhwa I would like an adaption of The Breaker, but that would likely never happen for the sheer fact that the first series was published by Daewon, while the sequel series was published by Daum.

Ironically, the artists current series is serialised in Naver WEBTOON, the one partnering with Crunchyroll.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
Considering that Crunchyroll advertises itself as the official source for anime they sure are spending a lot of money on western projects. That sends a mixed message though I understand the corporate appeal of owning content instead of merely having a license for it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Man, the content wars are really digging deep if manhua is being mined. Shame about The Breaker being a no-go though.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Considering that Crunchyroll advertises itself as the official source for anime they sure are spending a lot of money on western projects..

I mean, I guess technically Korea is to the west of Japan but calling a partnership with Webtoon a "western project" is kind of dumb.
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
For those interested, Tower of God and Noblesse were confirmed to be getting Japanese produced anime series' back in August. I don't think ANN reported on it.

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/08/05/tower-of-god-noblesse-anime-announced/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4